Recruiting thoughts

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by wingtee, Oct 26, 2013.

1. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    I resent the h*^l out of that. That, and its a total bunch of crap. Three of the first four Ring of Honor members are from the panhandle / big bend. This was NEVER Bama or fsu territory unti Urban Meyer seded it to them by refusing to go out there - either for a booster meeting or to recruit. Saban quickly grabbed it. UF successfullly kept Bear Bryant out of the panhandle, pretty much for his whole time out there. Have you ever even been to the panhandle? I was out there last week and an fsu fan was complaining that "everybody around here is a Gator."

So, after he made the conscieous decision to ignore the place for five years, Urban snuck into Pensacola like he was entering a foreign country and tried to recruit Trent Richardson - from a school that had sent us Emmitt Smith, Patrick Moorer, Phil Bromely, Chris Bromely, and many others - and got the door slammed in his face. And, oh yeah, that Bama team that gave Urban the spasms and ran him off to Ohio had six starters from the panhandle, you know, that place that doesn't produce "a ton of players."

Bill Carr, Danny Wuerfel, Emmitt Smith, Jack Youngblood, Neal Anderson, Kevin Carter, Harrison Houston, Dexter McNabb, Myrick Anderson, Brad Culpepper, Jimmy Barr, Alonzo Johnson, Michael Gilmore, Tracy Daniels, Yancy Sutton, Jon May, Clifford Charlton, Ed Robinson, Louchiez Puerifoy, Kay Stephenson, Scott Marshall, Johnny Nichols, Tony Lomack, James Massey, Bart Edmiston, Larry Keefe, Kerry Watlins, Eli Williams, Fernando Jackson, Curt Garrett, Henry Davis, Kedra Malone, Bob Kurzu, Webbie Burnett, Reggie Corlew, Reid Fleming, Bruce Culpepper, Rickey Williams, Jon Demps, Patrick Miller, Mark White, Ray Lawrence, Mike Clark, Jim Tartt, Tony Daniels, Tony Davis, Dan Fike, Bill Richbourg, Zach Piller, Guy Dennis, Clint Griffin, David Mabardy, Ron Enclade, Robert Morgan, etc. etc., etc.

These are just Gators that I remember from the panhandle or the Big Bend. I know there are many, many more, because this was just from memory. I saw all of them play, at least on TV, but two.

May gosh, man. Be careful. You post some good stuff, so alot of people respect you. At one time in the mid-1980s, there were more players on the roster from Chipley than there were from Miami. Think before you type.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +787
    Well now that you mention Bart edmiston, the debate is over! Just kidding, we should not cede any of Florida to anybody, we are Florida.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,819
    No doubt. We can cherry pick, but no one should expect us to dominate the area or focus our energies on a region that has far few prospects and is at far greater of a distance than Tampa, Orlando, Jax, Miami, whatever.
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,471
    I did and I don't really care how you feel about that. No reason to recruit that area hard at this time. If there is an elite player over their go try and get him, but it should not be this huge focus.

Out of the top 100 high school players in Florida I think there is one player from that area this year

Last year I think there was two, one Dillon Lawson a kid who we got a commitment from then we had to drop because of character issues
  5. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    Neal was from Graceville.

Todd Gatlin is another panhandle kid not mentioned from the impressive list above.

Strictly from a population standpoint, there are more people and hence more players in the Jax, Tampa, Orlando and South Florida area.

I can see why there would be a focus in those regions by our coaches. Being from the panhandle, however, I always get a charge out of it when we recruit someone from that region.
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    If we're going to focus on those regions, we can not allow studs like Nelson alghalor to get away, especially to a west coast school.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,471
    lol so we should get every kid in the state? That will never happen. His high school coach had a great relationship with Kiffin
  8. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Didn't say every kid..just the best ones that fit our system, I believe that's a fair expectation if so much emphasis is going to be put in one region.
  9. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Maybe that highschool coach will have a position on his staff for kiffy then. ;-)
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,471
    we are never going to get all the elite players in an area that is an unrealistic expectiation
  11. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Ok, the lion's share then.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,819
    Oh, I don't disagree. That was a killer. But the loss of Weis hurt, not to mention the fact that the kid had Southern Cali ties. You can't always overcome that.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,819
    We don't just recruit one region. Tampa, Orlando, Jax, South Florida, south Georgia, the Carolinas...we have hit all of those areas for talented players of late.
  14. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Points taken. I'm aware that we will never get them all. As the flagship school in Florida, I would expect the majority to take a serious look at our program coupled with our academics.
  15. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Is it just me, ordoes it seem like when we ventured out of the southeast that our recruiting started to slip? Don't get me wrong, I know where Percy, Hernandez, easley and ropo came from and I'm grateful for all of them...it just seems our recruiting consistency and quality as a whole dropped somewhat. Your thoughts?
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,819
    I think the whole flagship-academics arguments are great for alumni and parents, but have precious little cache with many kids. They care far more about their future teammates and coaches, track record putting kids into the league, chance to play on the biggest stages, depth chart, style of play, etc.

Actually, under Meyer our recruiting was much improved by going out-of-state, but we always had our base in Florida. What makes your recruiting "slip" is turnover: head coaching change, three offensive coordinators in four seasons, four defensive coordinators in five seasons, five receivers coaches in five seasons, three offensive line coaches in four seasons, etc. Scouting, recruiting, and player development all dovetail together and staff instability is the single most disruptive factor. Yet another reason why the incessant calls for coaches' heads are so shortsighted. The more staff turnover, the more likely you are to see more misses and busts in the recruiting department.
  17. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    Did u really mentioned academics and flagship? Do you really think that means something nowadays??
  18. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Call me old fashioned but I'm pretty confident that most of these student athletes realize they will not play in the NFL thus academics do come into play and can be a factor in the recruiting process.
  19. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Emmitt, Danny, Jack Youngblood, Neal Anderson, Jay Poppa Hall, Fernando Jackson, and many others. West Florida has a lot of talent and a lot teams vie for these players. With FSU being on top of the world now, it is going to be harder than ever to get some but as always, some kids want to be Gators and get a great education also.
  20. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Agreed