Recovery from ACL surgery

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by kurt_borglum, Sep 13, 2013.

1. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +753
    I had ACL surgery 21 years ago. I guess the warranty was 20 yrs, cause now I need it again, together with a torn meniscus. I am getting that Sept 26.

21 years ago, it took a year to recover fully and 9 months of rehab. Anyone had this recently? Should I still expect to be on crutches for several months afterwards and 9 to 12 months rehab?

Appreciate any insights to surgeries that were done in this Millennium.
  2. Jyork

Jyork Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    How old are you?
  3. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Are you sure it is needed? I know a 60+ year old that plays hockey missing two out of the three knee ligaments. Uses a brace but plays fine.
  4. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +883
    Not to scare you but my dad just had his done again and when he got home it became VERY painful. Ended up there was in infection in his knee where they did the surgery, so they had to amputate his leg but they didn't amputate high enough and the infection killed him.

jk.... :grin:
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,484
    ^^^asswipe

jk....:laugh:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Don't rush into surgery, see a good orthopedic physical therapist first, preferably not one that works for your surgeon, and see if you can rehab it first. At the very least you might get away with just and arthroscopic procedure to clean up the meniscus.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    this....if you are not an active adult (tennis, skiing, sports in general) you can get away with rehab (strengthening the leg) and a brace.

right now there is a cop at my studio who has a torn ACL and he is still active duty. Rehabbing knee (no surgery) and wears a brace while working.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    I tore my ACL 26 yrs ago and never had it replaced. It hindered me but I worked around it but I finally got a brace. I am now running sprints for the first time in forever and feel pretty good about that. I do think about replacement but the time down and the pain related to recovery are a deterrent.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +753
    Well, my knee has been "dislocating" with greater and greater frequency over the last year. I am a gardener and have to crawl on all fours for work. Up until a week ago, every time it dislocated (which was extremely painful) I was able to straighten my leg and "pop" the knee back in (which was also extremely painful). This happened about 50 times in the last year, becoming more frequent and more difficult to pop back in each time.

Now the meniscus has folded under preventing me from putting my knee back in. When the doctor, Dr. Jablonski of the Jewett Clinic tested my knee, he had a shocked look on his face and said my knee was one of the loosest he had seen in a person still able to walk (this was before the last dislocation that would not go back in). I have been on crutches and a knee brace since.

So it appears surgery is required. I am 55 and in otherwise reasonable health. My work is very physically demanding. So, I am getting surgery.

Which returns me to my original question, is the rehab still 9-12 months like it was 20 years ago?

Thanks for any input.
  10. Jyork

Jyork Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I'm 33 and work in ortho. If I had what you describe I would have my knee scoped for the meniscal tear and not fix my ACL. I mainly jog for exercise and you don't need an ACL for that.
    Unless you play a lot sports with cutting you do not need your ACL.
  11. Jyork

Jyork Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    We must have been typing at the same time I just read your response.
    Yes 6-9 months recovery. However I do not believe your knee has been dislocating, the meniscus is probably catching and that's what you are feeling.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Given your history, I would be surprised if you would be happy with the results of an ACL reconstruction at this point. Sounds to me like you would be better off moving towards total knee replacement as that looks likely to be in your future even if you do get the ACL repaired. Again, a good orthopedic physical therapist could help you with this decision.
  13. mamag8ter

mamag8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,731
    I know nothing about this surgery kurt, but good luck whichever you decide to do.
  14. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    Whoa, that sounds really bad. I never had any of that going on though I have taken great strides to continuously strengthen my leg, especially the last couple of years.

Good luck with the surgery and the rehab to follow. It won't be easy but it sounds like you have no other option.
  15. damg8r

damg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I've had both ACLs done in last 5 years and most recent was last November. I had the graft method and tried to get off crutches ASAP so was gimping around after three days which the Dr wasn't happy about but can not stand using crutches and being immobile. Rehab for 2-3 months and you'll feel pretty normal but need to remember blood vessels don't develop in the graft for at least 6 months and still is not as elastic as original ligament which can snap ACL again if you push to hard.

On another note, blew my first ACL out in college playing fraternity flag football in '84, rehabbed it and only had minor problems with it. Started having problems with stability in knee and had it reconstructed 22 years later. Glad I waited as it is not as evasive of procedure now.
  16. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Out of work for 6 months? Get an extra battery for your computer. Make that two.:sad:
  17. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +753
    Oh, I won't stop working. I will just spend more time yelling at my crews than helping them work.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. sharkey28

sharkey28 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    Tore my ACL and meniscus in 2004, had surgery in October of that year, didn't realize that rehab started ASAP but by December I was out of crutches, and by February I was walking around/jogging and at work just fine... well I was afraid to do any cutting on it for a good year or so.

Used my own ligament for the ACL surgery if you were wondering
    • Like Like x 1