Reasons to be optimistic about our team this year

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Sep 17, 2013.

1. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,813
    This is impressive as hell, I don't care if you're playing DII or whoever else..

3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,365
    I am cautiously optimistic. I think our offense is better than last year, and our defense nearly as good. I just don't think we will have the "good fortune" we had in 2012.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    I think our offense is better and there's a chance our defense is better, too.
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    I know that mistakes are part of the game but if we eliminate those we are easily 2-0 and looking very impressive.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,813
    Its a good possibility that just one less mistake against Miami and we are 2-0. We literally should have blown them out. In between the 20's we were dynamite on offense. I'm still not sure why we shut down in the redzone.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,811
    Two third down conversions and a little over 200 ypg... against two teams that were expected to be strong on offense.

That is darn good.

If we keep that up, over the course of the season we should get a lot of short fields and a lot of opportunities to work out our RZ offense.
  8. Marvel_Comics

Marvel_Comics New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Nice article and I love JD's attitude...think we will be fine
  9. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +618
    The issues that we have on offense, so-so running game, no tight end and quarterback who struggles with his decision making, are killers in the red zone.

It's much easier to make plays in space. Now, the defense has a quarter or less of the field to defend and closing time on the receivers is cut down drastically. This calls for the ability to impose your will at the LOS and for the QB to make quick decisions and deliver the ball accurately as there is little room for error.

Earlier, in another thread, I called for the staff to simplify the game for Driskel. He has to make decisions quickly. The longer he sits back there, especially in the RZ, the less likely there will be a positive result.
  10. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    "No one's been able to stop us when we haven't had a turnover or a penalty,” Driskel said Monday.

Lowly toledo held fla to 24 points, and fla only had 1 turnover (driskel fumble)
  11. Chomp_Chomp

Chomp_Chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    A touchdown was called back for holding and a field goal was missed. Patton may have even scored on his dropped pass. We should've had 10-17 more points.
  12. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,148
    One reason to be optimistic is that i think we've gotten our worst game of the season out of the way already. It was early enough not to topple the season and early enough to learn from.
  13. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +919
    I do think our D is better and I do think our O is better than a year ago. However, I still say our O is easy to defend for really good defenses, contain the run and force JD to beat you in the air. We seem to be basically a move the chain kind of offense that eventually shoots itself in the foot.

We should do better offensively the next 3 games, ut, uk and arky. The real test comes against lsu, uga, usce and sow. These teams have capable offenses and strong defenses. Scoring in the red zone may remain a problem for this team. I hope not.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    Way to look over his point intentionally by ignoring the Miami game where we drove up and down the field and the Toledo game where penalties killed us at times, despite us getting over 400 yards of total offense in both contests.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    On the article, I think it is a little silly to predicate much on statistics at this stage, let alone compare them with our competition. It is pretty obvious that our defense is comparable to last year's, with maybe some more versatility and moveable parts, but nowhere near the depth on the defensive line. It is also pretty obvious that our offense is a slightly better version of last year's, but needs some serious infusion of playmaking to get much beyond that. It is a long season and I am hopeful that Robinson, Fulwood, and Kelvin Taylor can find a groove and contribute.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. UFish

UFish Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I'm pretty pessimistic about the offense but we could have scored more in that game had we needed to, if for no other reason because their defense was gassed.

Our defense will finish in the top ten this year unless injuries just ruin us. We can't afford many health issues in the front seven so that's something to watch out for. The offense isn't likely, IS NOT LIKELY, to have another turnover circus like that again this season. It would take a turnover circus to lose to any other than Georgia, South Carolina, FSU, or LSU. And if we take care of the ball and play our defense, we'll be in position to win any of those games in the 4th quarter.

So in short, our offense won't commit as many turnovers and our defense will surely start forcing more as the season goes along. The schedule gets tougher but there's no reason we shouldn't go 9-3 or better as long as we stay relatively healthy.
  17. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +618
    There's decent chance that we get a 2-2 split in those four tough games. If we avoid any slip ups, that would get us to 9-3 (which is where I thought we'd be at the end of the regular season).
  18. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +875
    If Florida eliminates the mistakes in SEC play, they will win the east. It's that simple.
  19. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I believe UF will be in the AP Top 10 by the end of the year. Regarding the Toledo game, Toledo did hold UF to 24 points and only got one TO but UF had multiple penalties that killed drives so Driskel's point still stands.

Of course, Miami made mistakes that killed drives too. That often gets left out in the kinds of conversations. Still, like I said, UF is one of the ten best teams in the nation and will be there at the end of the year. Tenn has almost no chance to win.
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,643
    The defense may be better than last year, the special teams still look solid, we're throwing the ball more vertically, and we've discovered a extra "gem" in the backfield in Mack Brown to back up Matt Jones.

Despite the brain-fart game @ Miami, I think this team could get through the rest of the season with only one more loss if we play our cards right and, like any team needs, get a couple of bounces our way.