Really Think We Can Score >17pts..

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorDad, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Unfortunately they do not reward any points for that
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,448
    I wasn't asking for us to throw the ball 35 times... that was those other folks.
  3. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    I hope the optimists are right. However, I have seen nothing in the last 3 games that leads me to believe that this offense knows how to score. We have lost 2 of the last 3 and the O played turnover ball vs Louisville and Miami. I hear a lot of reasons and explanations why it should be different and excuse and qualifications why it has not... But at the end of the day the offense executes poorly.
  4. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +967
    Muschamp's philosophy is to eat clock, score points, and have field position. That means 27 - 28 points per game. If we have a defense that holds teams to under 12 per game, we win most games. I say most because if we have a bad defensive game, we lack the high-powered offense to come back. His philosophy also requires few, if any turnovers. We lost this game due to turnovers in the worst way...we gave Miami 67% of their points off turnovers of which one was in the red zone. That's at least a 17 point swing right there.
  5. VTGator

VTGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    It is a popular myth that momentum matters in football. Not the case actually. theory of momentum in football
  6. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    You really think the team was pumped for Toledo? Your really think we only score 16 without the RZ turnovers versus Miami? UGA and USCe have issues on the defensive side of the ball and yes I think we score 17 or more on both of them. FSU is hard to tell yet but Pitt ran pretty easy on them early on. I understand everyone is upset but you need to put down the crying towels. Let's see how the team responds before we give up on them.
  7. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    LoL "pumped". We need to start getting more pumped a lot more often then. Maybe we should wear those old Reebok pumps. Do you think that would help?
  8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    GC: where people think being pumped, having momentum, and time of possession actually influence football games in any significant way
  9. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    He's learning as he goes. We knew this. When he was hired.

No different than a first time manager
  10. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    Let me ask you something, do you think the team being up for the LSU game had anything to do with how we played? What about FSU? Why did we play vastly better in both those games than we did against Louisiana? The Toledo game meant very little and no body thought Toledo ever had a chance. Turnovers killed us against Miami, not the inability to produce offense. If you don't think getting up for a big game and momentum have anything to do with the way a team plays you never played sports.
  11. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Well you must be pretty disappointed in our team as it only bothers to get pumped like twice a year, huh?

I guess we weren't that pumped against Georgia then because we melted down with turnovers and didn't have any fancy stats to show for it either. But this year our "revenge factor" will be through the roof, so we will certainly win now.
  12. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,604
    Maybe you shouldn't omit parts of his post. That's not all he said. He's exactly right.
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,448
    GC, where people opine about how we need to pass the ball and then ignore the fact hat our QB had by far the best "statistical" passing day of his career... and we lost.

Protecting the football matters. We do that, we win easily.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ElimiGator

ElimiGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Reminds me of Urbs last years. Good between the 20's but hold your breath in the red zone. If we don't score from the 40 then forget it. UF will self destruct. ....awe JD will snap out of it and all will be good!! Right? Someone say right!! I feel like a GA fan wanting to call into a radio show or something....
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,343
    Wow. There are so many holes in that article. The author completely fails to dispel the notion of momentum in college football.

1) He's a staff writer for Grantland
    2) His "data" are derived from NFL games
    3) His first attempt at debunking momentum demonstrates that teams getting the ball inside their own five yard line don't score many points under those circumstances. Well, I'm sorry, but DUH.

4) His next failure at debunking momentum has to do with continuity from one season to the next (again) . . . in the NFL. Has nothing to do with the type of momentum the Gators failed to maintain on Saturday.

I actually think it's so bad that perhaps it's a poor attempt at parody. Either way, it's a joke. (double-entendre intended)
  16. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Did those who wanted us to pass it more say we should also turn it over five times? Does passing more mean you must turn it over?
  17. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    which is why most Top Tier schools don't hire coordinators, well that and the fact that no outside coordinator, other than Bob Stoops, has won a national title in his first stop in at least half a century.
  18. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    how about stoops at OU?
  19. sierragator

sierragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +558
    So get to 20+ and wait for the Gator O to self destruct (did ya get that uga, ut, ky, ark, et al?)
  20. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    was editing it when you posted he's the only exception-- and OU was at a much, much lower point when they hired Stoops than we were when we reached for Boom.