Reading the "offensive breakdowns"

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatuar, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    Each week...I really like these pieces. But something that seems alarming is the amount of miscommunication, missed assignments and general screw-up that happen each offensive series.

Is this "just football?" Each week we see where 2 linemen block the same guy and blitzer comes free, or Joyer, Jones, Burton block the wrong guy.

This weeks edition was a gem....it showed where the whole line was using cut blocks but DJ and Khoene completely whiffed and TM had 2 DE's coming at him.

I'm not sure how JD would've handled this, but TM quickly recognized he needed to get ouf of dodge, beat the containment and found Dunbar well downfield

But questiion still remains...do we do this more than a normal offense? Or is it just we don't realize it watching the games. I think most fans believe the players know their blocking assignments it's just sometimes the defenders win the battle blowing the play up
  2. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    clearly Kentucky's LT doesn't know his assignments lol....Dante should send him a card so maybe I answered my own question
  3. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Great questions.
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Just overall it seems we've been making offense very complicated for ourselves the last several years. whether it's blocking assignments or learning the playbook or installing the offense or getting freshman on the field or getting receivers open.....
    Not sure why that is.
  5. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Another observation: all of the sudden I have been noticing a lot more pre-snap reading of the defense, gesturing, and making what appears to be changed to the play from the qb. This seems like a vital part of the position. Was the previous qb not comfortable doing it? Were the coaches ok with that? Didn't they notice they had a guy who could do that comfortably in practice?
  6. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,781
    Not very detailed, but I think that our style of play - power running - takes a while to jell. I always thought that one of our biggest scheduling advantages was playing Fulmer's UT team early in the season. By the end of the season they got things rolling. I am glad that TM shows as much poise as he has when things break down.

And don't get me started on his checking out of plays. I don't think Jeff ever did that.
  7. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I do think we are slow to get the plays called in and sometimes we get to the line with little time to make a change or we are quickly making changes and some of players get it and some don't..which also means we have to use timeouts. I think we have burned more timeouts because of the play clock than most teams do.
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,781
    Also, the most frustrating offensive brain fart is the false starts AT HOME! I have never figured out that one.:no:
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    Seriously, 07...you're not sure why?
  10. Gator8239

Gator8239 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    Oh . My. God. Volsheimers has spread to gator fans. Apparently the government employees protecting this vicious strain of volsheimers were deemed nonessential. UT was always rolling at the end of the year because their November schedule always includes Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Kentucky. Sometimes Memphis was sprinkled in there. Those three teams usually combined to go 3-30 for the year. After the Vols polished off the mighty Kentucky Wildcats they would proclaim they could "beat dem dang gators" if they could have played them that weekend! Meanwhile Florida had to play a top 5 team in FSU every year while UT was playing Kentucky.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Why was the entire line doing cut blocks? They only protect for like two seconds. If that first read isn't there it usually would result in a sac. Why not just do regular blocking?
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,674
    I think these comments really get down to it. I know everybody here used to make fun of Meyer and Daz's champions nomenclature, but if you remember a champion was somebody who graded out, I believe, 90% or so. And not everyone made it each week. That means the greater part of you team missed his assignment on at least one out of ten plays.

It isn't simply a matter of knowing your assignment, either. What if the defense comes up with an unexpected alignment or gap scheme or coverage or pressure? It is highly likely that the first time you see it, someone will make a mistake. That's why coaches talk about corrections once they identify those things, sometimes on the sidelines and sometimes in the locker room.

But you are entirely right, in my opinion, when you talk about what we see watching a game in a live sitting versus breaking down the film. I had the same thing happen to me the other day when someone posted the Tennessee film and I realized what I thought was a post corner by Dunbar was something entirely different. More importantly, the more you watch the film, the more errors become patently obvious. I suspect if we broke down the film with an eye toward our opponent or in another game, we would find just as many mistakes.

It is also why elite playmakers make the game so much easier: they have the ability to overcome a missed assignment simply because of their athleticism. I still go back to the LSU game in 2008, when Tebow severely underthrew the football on the opening series and it was tipped by the linebacker (I believe), but freakish Harvin adjusted while running full speed, caught the ball at a near standstill, then turned around and accelerated up the middle of the field for a score. It still boggles my mind.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,674
    That is pretty common if you are dealing with a quick timing throw, though I don't know which play the thread starter is referring to. It helps prevent linemen from getting their hands in the passing lanes on the short passes (unless you are Clowney, in which case you can reach up and bat a ball while laying on the ground).
  14. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Pease said today Jeff has/had been doing the same thing in games and it is nothing new. I think they increased the checks at the line of scrimmage this year probably because everybody is in the 2nd year of the system.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Pease also said today that they changed some blocking schemes this year. That he put the offense in a few bad positions last year. I personally think he didn't fully grasp how hard it was to block DE's and deal with pressure in the SEC coming from Boise. He also stated that because of some of the pressures they have plays that get the ball out quicker and wont go vertically as much. It seemed like the comment was for the message board complaints.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,674
    Exactly. Against certain teams, we have more or less checks based upon how the opponent defends.
  17. cavemen77

cavemen77 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    If throwing quick slants the guards will cut the defensive tackles to give a good throwing lane for the qb. Quick outs the tackles cut the ends for the same purpose. If there's a sack it's the qb's fault. He either throws the ball after 1 step, or throws it out of bounds.
  18. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    It was the play where TM scrambled to his left and hit Dunbar down the sideline...I thought Dunbar couldve stayed in bounds and scored but his momentum carried him out of bounds

It was meant to be a quick throw to Dunbar...the
    whole line cut blocked but both tackles missed the Kentucky DE's

The pics on the breakdown show TM was in a bad situation but used his athleticism to turn a potential disaster into a big play
  19. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    I've also noticed he seems to check more than Driskel...could Pease be covering for JD here?
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Doubt it, it really comes down to who we are playing being in the 2nd year of the system and how demonstrative they are calling the checks or audibles. Pease volunteered the Jeff thing on his own.