RBs in pass protection

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BastogneGator, Oct 23, 2013.

1. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Is a RBs perceived ability to block in pass protection so important that it keeps our best runners on the bench? I have heard several posters state that the reason Gilly didn't play more in 2011 and why Kelvin doesn't play more now is pass protection.
    IMO it would be easier to teach a gifted runner to block than the reverse. Secondly, both Gilly and KT grew up as RBs so the concept isn't new to them; if UF was converting a track star I could understand the delay.
    What evidence is there to support such claims? Were Demps and Rainey devastating blockers? They must have been because they kept Gilly and Joyer off the field for a year. Is KT really bad in pass protection? If so is it enough to keep him off the field or is pass protection a convenient excuse for not recognizing talent?
  2. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +588
    We do not need to worry about "fine tuning" our offense, acting like we can be pissed our most talented playmaker may miss a block or two. Muschamp has no right to deny what KT brings to THIS offense at THIS time. He's delusional. We aren't pretty good, looking to shore up some little things. We are a pee-wee offense with a future 1st round pick RB we don't like to use because he missed some blocks on practice. KT getting 20 carries a game would result in 1-2 more tds than we'd otherwise have.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    you really think he is a future first round pick?
  4. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +588
    If he gets two full seasons as the starter (who knows if WM stays) I think he will be. His production will be undeniable.

Obviously a prediction AZ as I'm sure you think he's too slow to go that high.
  5. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    I think it would be interesting if we had a more credible run threat especially outside the tackle box. Right now you can line up 8 guys in the box and still protect D gap with one man. To be fair a significant problem is getting the DE hooked or getting a reach block out to the line backers. However if I am a defensive coordinator I can run blitz with my line backers in A or B gap because I am not worried about D gap unless Patton is on the field. Imagine what the capability of running a draw play would do to help the o-line.

T
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Yep he is a RB he is not a 4.3 guy and he is not huge like Gurley. I also dont believe he is going to get Gillie like carries over the next few year. Adam Lane is legit and IMO Cook will be by far the best of the bunch. Taylor is 2nd 3rd round talent if he has good production. And yes there is a big difference between 1st and 3rd round talent.
  7. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +699
    It shouldn't matter 2 cents if he can't block or not. Even if he can/can't if wouldn't make a bit of difference for this horrible O-line we have. If KT picked up his block another player would wiff on his own block anyway

I highly doubt he's that bad at blocking
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I doubt he is that bad anymore because he is playing now
  9. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    I can't get excited about recruits anymore. I will reserve judgement until they have a few carries against SEC opponents. That being said I hope they get meaningful opportunities early so that we can truly identify their talent level/ potential. My kingdom for a 2nd or 3rd round playmaker on offense right now...
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    so you can identify yourself or the poaching staff? It is so weird that the fans want everybody to get in so they can see who is good or not
  11. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    This has yet to be seen, or at least with KT as the featured RB.
  12. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Why is that weird? I would think you would want to see that. Especially if depth is such an issue.
  13. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +588
    Anyone see KT's block up the middle, seriously?
    That might be why champ said taylor would be more involved moving forward as he initiates his "personnel shake-up." Ha
  14. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    I don't think it is any more strange than this statement.
  15. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Excuse me, the statement that you made where you crowned cook the best of the bunch
  16. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    This one, my apologies
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I want to see the team win thats about it. I follow recruiting that is enough for me. I dont need Alvin Bailey to come in the game just so I can see he is not ready to play yet. I dont need to see Joey Ivey in to think wow that guy might need to be playing more. Me seeing everybody get in the game doesnt help the team win football games now or in the future.

What do you want the first team to get a half the 2nd team to play the 3rd quarter and the 3rd team to play the forth just so you can see how good or bad everybody on the roster is?
  18. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    I think seeing more than one or two running backs in the SEC is pretty common.
  19. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    I obviously don't follow recruiting to the extent you do but I'm pretty sure an offense ranked 106 isn't helping us win games... KT demonstrated the most production last game. Gilly and Joyer carried the team offensively last year after being left out in 2011. TM appears to be at least as competent as Driskel. I think it is fair for Gator Nation to wonder what is hiding on the bench right now. Speaking of FBs...
  20. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    IMHO, Taylor is such an improvement over Brown (I don't think he was over Jones) that I don't see how he doesn't get the majority now. Buuuttt...if I were wanting to argue the other side couldn't I point out that Taylor's rushing didn't get us a td against LSU, but his blocking (or lack of) almost def cost us one? Just don't understand how anyone can argue against the coach's decision based off that.
    • Like Like x 1