RB rotation will be 3 to 4

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Feb 23, 2018.

1. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +885
    If Davis's knee is not ready I do not want him to see the field.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,194
    At best, its gonna be midseason, and I dont see any reason to force it. Let him have the extra time to rehab and come back with a vengeance in 19.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +10,099
    It's 100% he will play and get heavy load, I do think Scarlett will be the top carry guy in terms of numbers though but Davis is way too good to keep off the field, and for those worried about his knee it was a meniscus, not an acl or other ligament.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,644
    Super!!!
  5. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,719
    Not sure how you can say this. To my knowledge, it was never officially announced, by the University or by the coaching staff, exactly what kind of knee injury Davis sustained. When injuries are minor, that information tends to come out right away. Not so with Davis’s injury.

If you believe certain Gator “insiders”, it was a much more serious injury than just a meniscus tear.

I hope you are right, but I personally am not expecting Davis to be back for the 2018 season.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +10,099
    Ok, you can believe what you like obviously.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,719
    My point is that nobody, outside of Davis, his family, the coaches and the medical staff know for certain. I hope for Malik’s sake you are right.
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +10,099
    I know, the moderator on another board I am on spoke to his uncle. I was under the same impression you and everybody else was.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,996
    Don't give him the ball on third and short.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,996
    Agree about Pierce and Clement. Pierce looked better as a high school player than anyone the Gators have signed in several years. In his clips, Clement looked like a WR playing RB. Not a strong runner at all.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,323
    Yes, no use taking any chance on further damage. And, it's not like he was the only guy in the backfield with moves last year. Davis had 79 Carries and averaged 6.7 ypc, while Perine had 136 for 4.1 ypc. But Lemons, admitted with only 19, averaged 7.2 ypc and Kadarius Toney, admittedly only 14, averaged 8.6. Also, recall that Lemons was running back Kickoffs (not smartly, but it shows his speed and elusiveness).

Lemons, in fact, was faster than Davis and very elusive also, but his off-field issues are what dropped him to a 3* coming from high school.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    With all these talks about Davis... I really think we’re splitting hairs as to who will be getting the carries next season... I say, if he’s not 100%, let him get healthy and bulk up... We have more than enough backs that are comparably capable... and if he’s injured, keeping him off will be best for both parties because he’s one year closer to draft eligibility, and is taking less of a pounding before he hits the draft... If he’s elite in 2019, I’ll be thilled, even though he’s gone... that’s better than playing him in 2018 while injured and him having a solid 2018 and 2019 as opposed to an elite 2019...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    The guy I’m worried about most on the depth chart is Perine... I don’t know how much Lemons has learned the playbook... but in terms of natural ability, we may see Perine fall on the depth chart quickly... and he’s still a pretty darn good back.

Watch out of Dameon Pierce... He already has a man’s body and will at some point be a better back than Perine, I think... it’s just a matter of when...
  14. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,996
    Pierce is a lot faster than Perine and appears to be just as powerful.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. gatorev12

gatorev12 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,554
    Should definitely be a position of strength next year for us, no matter who's carrying the ball; and Mullen's offense works well when he has multiple rushing options out of the backfield. When you look at the most successful SEC programs in the last few years, there's multiple RBs who can carry the ball. Bama, georgia, Auburn, etc....all have at least 2 top-tier RBs and most go 3 deep.
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,803
    You got that right Jeff
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. G8RLegist

G8RLegist GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +843
    I just spoke with one of Malik's uncles. He says it was just a torn meniscus and that he'll be full speed come Fall. I didn't ask about Spring. But I agree that it has been kinda hush hush about the injury.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,699
    Thought Davis was better than Lemons and I think Clement is better than Pierce ( and I think Pierce willl be very good).

Clement has that rare combination of quickness and spacial awareness that is unique to good backs. He is great is space, but he is also excellent at creating space . He is patient and very quick. Quick decision maker, quick feet , does not over run plays , excellent first step.

Davis' injury was really a shame . He got hung out to dry by his QB . IMO Davis is closer to Emmitt than anyone we have had since. The kid sees it and has the ability to hit it with unbelievable timing. Emmitt had an unbelievable first step. He could slide, wait patiently and the next thing you know he was 8 yards down field. He saw the game in slow motion....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,194
    Pierce has much better balance. Look at the highlights again. Watch how many times pierce stays on his feet and scores, vs how many times Clement gets tackled by his shoe strings.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,323
    I wouldn't count on Davis for 2018, which is why the Depth of Quality RBs on this year's roster will pay dividends.

Think of John Egbunu, who has missed all three postseasons during his career at UF, including the last 2 due to a knee injury that just hasn't responded well.

Physically, all of our primary moving joints - wrist, elbow, shoulder, hip, knee & ankle, are dangerous to damage because they frequently end up being chronic.