Ratings

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by twodaparty, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,555
    This post is money right here!! Nice
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,743
    We knew Georgia and OSU would cash in but look at Texas at #3. Who would have thought Herman would land the 2nd best class? What about the job Franklin is doing at Penn State? Of course, Richt is a great recruiter so seeing in Miami in the top 10 isn't surprising. Some say they can't understand why FSU could manage the class they have but they are only a couple of spots ahead of us because they have a couple more commits than we do.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,439
    OSU and UGA at 26 signees. We've got to start doing that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RealGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +4,743
    Quality is subjective. I wouldn't care less if we recruited 10 guys that were all 5 stars because we only recruited 10 guys. We need quantity as much as quality, maybe quantity is more important next year because of injuries.
  5. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,555
    Every time I look at my post above and see uga with 26 signees with an average of 94.23 it makes me want to puke. That is flat out amazing.

A couple weeks ago I posted an article that talks about uga possibly signing the top class on record since the beginning of the rankings. (2001 or 2002? I can't remember which site it was)

Ohio states class is absurd too. I love me some Urban but hate Ohio State. Damn that's a good class.
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    Five new offensive linemen on the roster can't hurt. It's our biggest weakness in my opinion. Or is it only four?
  7. UFreak

UFreak Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Ratings Received:
    +4,949
    100 percent agree with you on this. We all get super involved with recruiting rankings (me especially). But the greater and more meaningful context of this is that we will have quality guys (at least three, not sure about Dunlap yet) on the field that were never part, from a consensus standpoint, of our recruiting rankings.

In the era of transfers, it's probably time for the recruiting services to take note and add the transfers to the recruiting classes. It looks like ESPN is doing so. It does provide better context as to how well a particular team did in recruiting. For instance, Michigan had a slew of three stars. But I know that the QB transfer they got is a legit 5 star. And the coaches had to recruit him to come there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,443
    Great recruiting classes have great recruiters in the head Coaching position. Just one part of a football program, as player evaluation, development, roster mgt and play calling are equally important. However, most important quality is the ability to establish and demand excellence from your Assistant Coaching staff. They must outwork other staffs. Those head coaches that place friendship above the program will fail, as evidenced with Coach Macs loyalty to Coach Nuss, and Coach Al Golden’s loyalty to his long time friend and DC while at Miami. If unwilling to make changes quickly, you can’t be a HC of a top program
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  9. RealGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +4,743
    That's why I wished we recruited more than the average quality. We have 17 signees correct? What if we had another 8 3 star signees? We have been at a disadvantage for 3 or 4 years due to reduced scholarship players so to me having an average quality higher than all but 5 or 6 teams is meaningless. If injuries take down half this class, then it will feel like we have a team of 1 stars.
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,795
    Yes, which is exactly why I advised him to just avoid them rather than trying to argue some point they don't even hear

As I said, this is their day
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,795
    Depends -- it's likely that Mullen & Co. see more value in filling slots with the right people, rather than just filling slots to get more style points on NSD. Let's see how he manages the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes and builds our roster a bit more methodically. Folks, we got no choice but to go all-in behind Dan Mullen, don't second guess him 4 months into his turn at the wheel, and hope he delivers.

As for our class of recruits yesterday, it's easy to be like the kid opening Christmas presents worrying more about what the kid next to him is getting than what he is getting. Especially with Georgia, Bama, Ohio State and other programs on such a roll. But our staff did well in a transition year, according to people who follow recruiting a hell of a lot more than I do. Not only in a transition year, but coming off 7 years of the worst two back-to-back hires in the history of our program - and I can't resist saying thanks a lot Jeremy Foley. For all you did good at UF, you effectively destroyed our football program. You own the mess Dan Mullen and Scott Stricklin are trying to fix.

Now let's see how well our new staff coaches up this team. Go Gators
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Briang8r

Briang8r GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,390
    More than the terrible hires (and the last 2 were certainly that), the failure to keep our football facilities current with that of the competition has probably hurt us just as much. I've been a pretty big fan of Foley's, but you are right, he didn't do the football program many favors post-Urban, and that's putting it kindly. They opened the IPF on his watch, but that was many years too late, and McElwain actually deserves a little of that credit for insisting it be a full sized IPF.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,810
    They have been part of the team for quite some time. They might be new to us fans since they haven't played in the games, but they've been practicing for almost a year.
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    Should help
    • Like Like x 1