Ranking the SEC's BCS Championship Winners:

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cistern, Feb 9, 2014.

1. chunks1

chunks1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    jimbo is that you
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Against... Miami, Clemson, Maryland :)rolleyes: really?), and Duke (I can't remember what they were ranked when the games were played or I'd list them). FSU dominated their schedule, no doubt, and beat Auburn. UF lost to Ole Miss and I'm sure this will be used to discredit the team for the rest of eternity, but they used that as fuel to destroy every other team that year. I'd take '08 UF post Tebow speech vs anytime of the year '13 Noles on any day.

#4 LSU, #8 Georgia, #24 South Carolina, #23 FSU, and #1 Alabama by 242-62 in '08. Against the three teams still ranked after the end of the year, '08 UF went 125 - 45 (regular season only). The greatest offense of all time only scored five more points against ranked teams and 08' UF held it's ranked opponents to 7 fewer points.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,103
    I especially like the "gametime" ranked comments. Good stuff.......62nd!
  4. chunks1

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    Here my problem , Icant figure out which glitter boy ss32 is, the garnet one or the gold one. Oh well guess it is all the same.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Most of the Seminole fans I know, know that their schedule is soft, but they are also satisfied with knowing that they did what they had to do to win a championship. I imagine most of them don't worry about validation from other fan bases on account of their strength of schedule. Some Seminole fans, it would appear, require that validation, particularly from GATOR fans. I don't understand it, but it reveals a certain lack of satisfaction, in my opinion. Enjoy your title, don't be sad that GATOR fans are not as pumped up about it as you are. It reminds me of our own fans that worry about the whole "out of conference, out of state, games away from home, not during bowl season" - some people can't resist opening the door to a criticism that they cannot get over.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ssmith32

ssmith32 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    You didn't destroy Alabama, and you didn't destroy Oklahoma. But overall, you did play very good football after that lone blemish vs Ole Miss.

But are we really allowed to remove the blemish? Can I remove the 11 different times FSU had 1 blemish? If so, that makes 14 undefeated seasons for the Noles.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. chunks1

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    If you hurry they are replaying the Willie Meegs press conference over on War Chant tonite. You dont want to miss the play of the year.
  8. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I believe what I said was, and correct me if I'm wrong please, "UF lost to Ole Miss". Often times on the internet I have found that it's hard to convey meaning and people can easily misinterpret text or twist them to mean something unintended. What I meant was: UF (which, on this board, usually means the University of Florida) lost (the past participle of the word "lose") to (a preposition identifying the recipient or intended recipient) Ole Miss (which, on this board, usually means the University of Mississippi). I hope that helps clear things up.

Alabama? Maybe not so much destroy, but we won by double digits against the, then, #1 team in the country. Oklahoma? I would postulate that holding the, then, greatest offense of all time to only 14 points and winning by double digits is close enough. I mean, we held our ranked opponents to fewer points than y'all did. Just think, if Oklahoma hadn't played us for the national championship y'all may have never taken that record from them! You should be thanking us!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Nobody has to remove the blemish to recognize that 2013 FSU wouldn't matchup well with 2008 Florida, or that 2008 Florida beat two teams that were much stronger than any team 2013 FSU beat... and beat them both decisively, rather than coming from behind the last minute after being outplayed most of the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +599

Realistically we are 15 seconds OR a kickoff return from not having this conversation at all. 15 seconds and the conversation we would be having is how FSU floated through as a once again vastly over rated team until they met a reasonable challenge. How Rapeis feasted on garbage and when the big game came he showed himself merely average versus a fair SEC defense. FSU barely and I mean barely beat a near 4 loss team from the SEC. In the SEC, FSU possibly wouldnt have even made it to the SEC championship.

#1 playing number 10 probably wins 75% of the time on neutral field. #1 playing #5 probably wins 85%. #1 versus #2 is probably 50/50. Do the math and play 4 teams from the top ten and your odds of winning them all drop dramatically. Play 5 and they might only be 15% to win them all. Conversely #1 versus #50 wins 99% of the time. In fact they probably win by 20 plus 80% of the time. Before you accuse me of just pulling these numbers out of my arse Ill just say my impression is based on 40 years of watching college football. Just like my impression of watching FSU handle a collection of dregs was they were good but who knows versus the top ten. When you finally got a nibble of upper echelon talent on the other side of the ball very little from the Noles looked to me like a dominant team. They just looked like a team that finally belonged in the top 5 not a juggernaut. Correct me if Im wrong but I think almost every person with functioning eyes saw FSU as a team that was a fake punt away from being dump trucked like Notre Dame the year before. I can assure you the 13 Noles would never get enough offensively to get back in the game versus the 08 team even if they played for the next 24 hours. You should be thrilled to beat Auburn and Clemson but the Noles are still an untested team versus legit talent. I wont give any credit to hanging 40 points on the ACC since it seems most everyone did in bowl games.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Somebody please tell me why no one talks about FSU basketball in the ACC. Is it because they actually face a decent slate of teams. You know I would be impressed if they went through the ACC undefeated like when Duke or North Carolina does. It would really open my eyes to FSU basketball. It would be like UF, Bama, LSU or Auburn running the table in the SEC. Impressive. My point is a difficult schedule like FSU faces in the ACC basketball illustrates just why the 13 Noles are fortunate to be champions. You won two tough games. One by the slimmest of margins when you got essentially Duke in the national title game instead of 12 Drakes. Play some real teams and beat them consistently and you can breathe the same air as the 08 gators otherwise be happy with beating the Drakes of the ACC by 40. Best BCS champion ever...hardly...most untested champion based on the easiest schedule ever...sure Ill give you that.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. ssmith32

ssmith32 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    It was just a response to the post that UF destroyed everyone after the Ole Miss game, which is simply not true. UF was tied with Oklahoma in the 4th and they were losing to Alabama in the 4th. Texas beat that Oklahoma team by the same 10 point margin that UF did. Actually they beat them when the Sooners still had DeMarco Murray.

And Utah beat that same Alabama team by even more than UF did.
  13. ssmith32

ssmith32 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    We had one chance all year to prove our mettle and see if we could come back (all the critics were wondering since all our games were blowouts). So when finally faced with a deficit (of the 21-3 variety) we came back and won. Isn't that what Championship teams do? UF was faced with a similar situation vs Ole Miss, down 1 point with 2 minutes left, and they couldn't do it. Tebow's last 3 plays were Incompletion, Incompletion, and Rush for no gain. Winston, as a freshman, on the biggest stage, went 6-7 and willed his team to a victory. Give props where it is due.

Well let's see, we beat the SEC West champs on a neutral field. And as for the SEC East, we didn't play the champ but we beat the team that steamrolled them. We also destroyed Clemson in Death Valley, the same Clemson team that beat UGA and the same Clemson team that USCe needed a whopping +6 turnover just to win by 14 in Columbia. And oh yeah, we beat UF by 30 in the swamp when no other team was able to come close to that in their home stadiums. We also destroyed Miami (who beat UF when they were completely healthy). Does that about cover the SEC East? I really don't get where you're seeing FSU not winning an SEC division.
  14. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I hope the rivalry gets good enough again on the field so that UF fans have something besides off topic and out of context Bobby quotes and your schedule is weak talk :).
  15. chunks1

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    Tired of title IX yet?
  16. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Ill agree on your first part (we have a long way to go)...the second part will continue until more than 2 teams a year show up on the Nole schedule.
  17. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Take for example our schedule. Ga neutral (who essentially beat Auburn other than a once in a lifetime play), LSU away(who beat Auburn by double digits...by the way it was worse than the score indicates...could your Noles do this...uhhh...Bueller), South Carolina away (6 TO's or not beat Clemson for the 4th year in a row and by double digits most of the time. Please don't bring up Clemson self destructing they did it for the Noles and took themselves out of the game), Vandy...I bring this up because they would actually be the second best team on the Nole schedule and your Noles at the end. Now I get how you feel good about Miami, Maryland and Pitt but really it is like us being proud of beating up and coming Tennessee. You essentially won a game that 9 out of 10 times you lose. It's reality and fact. You can look back now and say you dominated Auburn but it isnt fact...you squeaked it out by the thinnest of margins because Auburn changed their game plan a quarter too early feeling they just needed to pound it to end the game. All the cards fell your way...congrats.

However if you really think you run the table versus 5 top flight teams (some of which are actually away games) when you barely and I mean BARELY could beat just one decent team from the SEC I have my doubts as to the Noles ability to make a championship in either division of the SEC. As for the West...sure you could steamroll Bama, Auburn, A&M, Mizzou, LSU and the rest of that side. Its comical to bring up anything other than Clemson in the Nole schedule this year. Im not saying they couldnt make it...but I would not be surprised to see your team sitting there with 4 losses just the same.

As for Tebow versus Rapeis. Well if you count his last three plays as the end all be all then yes he came up short. I cant believe we ever thought he was good. Forgive me if Im mistaken but up until the last drive Rapeis looked pretty average did he not. Now Tebow for the other three and 3 quarters looked better. 300 plus yards and 3 td's. Maybe we would be better talking about how he looked against Oklahoma for a national championship. 18/30 231 and 2 tds...22 for 109 on the ground. Now before you ask...no I dont know if he completed his last 3 passes but he didnt turn a average game. Did he ever...sure...but look at the teams he played. They actually had the talent to beat you if a few balls bounced the other way. Rapeis could throw 6 ints against nearly every team you played and the sheer mismatch of talent versus any team not named Clemson would overcome the errors. Enjoy your championship (courtesy of good luck, scheduling and Willie Meggs) but as I said you may not have even made the championship game in the SEC let alone be called to comparison with the 08 gators.
  18. ssmith32

ssmith32 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Georgia led that game for 1 minute and 24 seconds. That game was entirely Auburn's until UGA, down 37-17, stormed back in the 4th quarter. You make it sound like Georgia dominated the game and Auburn didn't deserve to win. The last play may have been flukey, but Auburn deserved to win that game.

Couple things here, but first off that was not the same Auburn that we saw the 2nd half of the season - all the analysts told us so. That was the Auburn who didn't have their quirky offense under control yet and barely beat 6-7 Washington State and 7-6 Mississippi State. Not an excuse, but rather a fact that the analysts kept explaining to us the entire month of December and early January. Second, it's not exactly apples to apples comparing a true road game with a neutral site game.

These were two entirely different games. I mean practically polar opposites. Clemson/USCe was a 14-14 game in the 4th quarter. Clemson even out gained them. And the game was a USCe home game. By contrast, FSU went INTO Death Valley, outgained the Tigers by a whopping 565 to 326, and dominated every aspect of the game, turnovers or not. It was 51-7 until Clemson scored the ultimate garbage time TD with :13 seconds left. It was the biggest road blowout over a top 5 team in NCAA history. Look it up.

The Vandy that needed a FG with :39 seconds left to defeat one of the worst teams in the ACC Wake Forest at home? Where do you come up with this stuff?

I'm not even sure how to respond to this mess lol. First off, I never said we dominated Auburn. But ignoring that 2 of their first 3 TDs were scored on short fields of 25 and 27 yards is just not being very objective. They did not move the ball up and down the field on us. 4.37 yards per carry for the game when they were averaging about 6.5 against their SEC schedule. And that includes their long TD at the end of the game when our run stopper Tim Jernigan was on the sidelines. Without that it was 3.7 ypc. Auburn got their breaks, and capitalized on them, so stop making it seem like they ran up and down the field on us. As for their defense, it's been well documented that Auburn was sign stealing. Once we realized that and protected our signals, they could barely stop us. Your theory that "Auburn changed their game plan" is really just flat out wrong.

And Auburn beats us 9 out of 10 times? Reality and fact? LOL, wow man. I have my doubts that you even watched any football this past season.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Down 21-3 your coach called a fake punt to avoid 28-3...even Jimbo knew it was 9 out of 10. Before the missed tackle and 60 yard run Winston had what 140 yds passing and your team was out gained by over 200 yds even on the short fields you point out. Id say that was a pretty good beating up until a defensive break down.

Real champions don't need to make up excuses like "they stole our plays" to explain why they got dump trucked on all fronts for a half! I bet the staff purposely saved that excuse in the event they lost to hide the obvious fact they had played a pathetic schedule and feasted on cupcakes all year. Did our coaches steal your plays too for a half? How about BC and Miami?
  20. chunks1

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    ss32 acc cecil . Ladies and gentleman let me introduce the glitter boys. Or is he both.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1