Ranking the SEC's BCS Championship Winners:

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by cistern, Feb 9, 2014.

1. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    And looking at the whole season to crown a champ is not "nonsense." Using a playoff often crowns the best team at the end of the season which is why Villanova beat GT in 84 and NCST beat Phi Slamma Jamma in 82. GT beat Nova TWICE during the regular season. Nove was NOT a better team than GT that year but Nova was the better team on that night.
  2. ACCecil

Ratings Received:
    +392
    NY Giants 9-7 beat undefeated Pats. NY is champs. They were th ebest team that night but they were not the best team that season. Sorry. They weren't but having a one game scenario gave them a shot and they won. That is a form of manipulation if you looked at the whole year the Pats were the best that year and I think they beat the Giants during the regular season too just like GT beat Nova like a red headed step child but had to endure Nova winning the last game of the year. BS. Oh well, just making a case that playoff systems aren't perfect.
  3. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    Another factor, to me, are the circumstances of the loss. Our Ole Miss game turned on a missed XP kick- the epitome of a fluke. Add in some fumbles and it was a strange game.

Should we have won? Sure- we didn't play well. But it wasn't like losing 28-3 or something like that. No team that gets beat that badly should be national champs but a 1 point loss due to an missed xp- that is different.

Our 06 Auburn loss also turned on a fluke- some very biased officiating and that Leak pass that was somehow ruled a fumble. (Never figured out that one.)
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +756
    A team that loses 12 games in the NFL--perhaps even a team that loses all 16--is (according to conventional wisdom) believed to be better than a CFB team that wins all of their games, even the MNC. Same sport.

The difference is of course, in the competition each faced, and the caliber of athletes that comprises each team.

So while the difference between say, the SEC, and say Conf. USA, isn't as great as that between the NFL and CFB, certainly the caliber of talent on any given SEC team vs. that of any C-USA team--and certainly more so, the level of competition they face, is more compelling in determining who's the best team, than merely W's and L's.

So when you get down to measuring 1 loss vs. no losses between CFB teams (let alone b/t teams with a great difference in SOS rank), SOS should definitely factor in, rather significantly.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +756
    FWIW: I preferred that '06 bunch to '08, because it came completely out of the blue (unexpected--especially in wake of '05), and due to the blue collar gritty character of that team--and the season--especially contrasted against all the 'love' and fanfare the OSU team got going in.

(Not knocking '08, but the expectations were on/with us that year--it wasn't nearly as pleasant a surprise, as '06).
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,726
    I agree on not giving free passes for a loss. You have to look at context - quality of opponent, freak plays/officiating, injury impacts, etc.

But going undefeated against "air" doesn't prove anything. Again BYU is on the extreme end of that scale, but what credit do they deserve? When your landmark game is beating Hawaii, you earned nothing. IMO.

There are wide variances in strength of schedule that need to be considered. For reference, check this post I just made on our chances of making the SEC title game this year: Under/Over on

No team has ever made it to the BCS championship playing a schedule like we face next year, and until I see it happen, I don't think any team will win their conference on that tough a schedule. There's just too many chances to fail, and too many "wars" that drain your team physically and emotionally.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ACCecil

Ratings Received:
    +392
    UF's schedule next year is insane. Bama on the road. LSU. FSU on the road. UGA. That is a tough road to hoe. Your schedule next year is a bit of an outlier. As a general rule, I think a non-SEC team that plays in a BCS conference and that plays a good OOC schedule has an equal schedule to an SEC team in a normal year.

UF might only leave the state of FL 3-4 times a year. UF doesn't play Bama or Aub every year but they do get KY and Vandy every year. Bama rarely leaves the Southeast either. If you travel to an SEC stadium you can count on playing the Refs as well as the home team. So, as a general rule, I can only give the SEC so much.

UF versus Michigan in 2017 is the first OOC road game UF has played since SYR in 91. That is staggering. Traveling is NOT easy to play a good team. UF rarely does it OOC except against FSU. FSU has played all over the country albeit mostly before FSU was in the ACC. FSU plays Miami every year and did so when Miami would kick your ass and kill your dog. So, over the long run, it evens out. I know that will offend some. The SEC has been on quite a role lately and SEC cleans up in recruiting. If Miami can get back on its feet and if GT can beat UGA once a quarter century and if Clemson can beat USCe evenly, then, at that point, FSU's schedule will be about even with UF's.

Okay, here come the darts and arrows.
  8. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    FSU will have a tougher schedule this year with OK ST and ND (and if FL, Clemson, Louisville, and possibly Miami stay in the top 25).
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,204
    Which one loss BCS champion do you think got a free pass? If they were not given a free pass to the championship, why would they be getting a free pass to claims of superiority? The 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes are a team some would argue got a free pass. . . and they were undefeated. Was that team among the best BCS championship team? Was the '98 Tennessee team? And conversely, some of the best teams in the history of the game have lost a game. Why, you ask? Well, geez Cecil. You've been watching this game long enough to know that the variables are infinite. In some seasons, the collection of teams (i.e. the competition) is just thicker than others.
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,204
    Good grief. Someone got Cecil drunk again. Your dart:

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,726
    I hope next season is an outlier... we're screwed if we end up playing four top ten teams every year.... and a couple more top 25 teams.

But with LSU, FSU and the top East teams, we do end up playing a couple of top ten teams and four or five top 25 teams on a regular basis... Which is more than any other team in the country. and why the argument about us playing other top OOC schools is ridiculous... We already play a consistently tougher schedule than any other school in the country.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ACCecil

Ratings Received:
    +392
    And I think FSU's schedule next year is fine. If Miami rises again, and they will, FSU's schedule has as many land mines in it as UF's normal schedule will. UF's schedule next year is off the charts.
  13. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +756
    Reminds me of '06. Low expectations. A brutal schedule--one glimpse, and I automatically started looking at '07 (in fact, that year, they printed up the '06 and '07 schedules together--first, last, and only time I'd ever seen that done). Not saying we're going to win NC...but at least--(not after '06)--I won't "punt" on the season, until she plays out.

GO GATORS!!
  14. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    College football looked at the whole season historically until the BCS. Its called polls. People simply prefer to have the champion crowned on the field. Even with the BCS and the new playoff, the process inherently includes an evaluation of who played best during the entire year. that's why LSU made it with two losses and Aub went undefeated and didn't.
  15. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I just spit out my coffee, I laughed so hard.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Huge talent on that team!! Spiller should have been on this team too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,726
    I hear you. And our '06 schedule was obviously far tougher than the Bucknuts and tougher than most schedules throughout the BCS era. But in regular season it had two top ten teams and two more top 25 teams. A few others were probably top 40, but I only looked as far as top 25.

In the '14 season, we'll probably play four top ten teams (UFS, Bama and two of LSU, USCe, UGA, Mizzou). And at least six top 25 teams total (possibly including Vandy which finished top 25 this year). Crazy brutal schedule. If we get to Atlanta, we'll add another top five team to that list. Win there and add a top two team. Unprecedented for any team to win a championship against that kind of schedule as far as I can tell.

For reference, last season the entire top ten combined played six games against other top ten teams in the regular season.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +250

So youre thinking the only two "decent" ACC teams you play...Louisville and Clemson are going to be better? Memo...Louisville lost Charlie Strong and Teddy Bridgewater which essentially composed 99.999% of their successes. Clemson loses Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins two top ten picks responsible for about 80% of the Clemson success. Miami...uh well... they finished way down in the final rankings so yes they could rise like you said...maybe to 25 on the best day.

So I see perpetually overrated ND and OK St. Ok St essentially is the only decent team on the Nole schedule until UF (who knows). You can sell it whatever way you want but the schedule for the Noles is similar to (hard to believe) last year minus Boyd and Watkins in Clemson who were the only real ACC challenge for the last 5 years. I fully expect Ok St to hand FSU a reality check this year and wipe that smug phony face off fat boy Rapeis early. Bringing anything up about the Noles and tough schedule together is just laughable anywhere else but Warchant. You do realize the Noles had the worst SOS of any team in the history of the BCS title game....by a wide margin.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,726
    Okie State loses 6 Seniors on each side of the ball. At best, they have 10 returning starters, if all the juniors stay.

UFS will probably destroy them. Notre Dame is probably the best bet to challenge them, other than maybe us, if we really improve, and we're reasonably healthy after the SEC gauntlet.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,726
    Actually, you never know with Petrino... maybe he'll have an offense going and Louisville will give the Noles a run.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1