Ranking the SEC's BCS Championship Winners:

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by cistern, Feb 9, 2014.

1. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/ranking-sec-bcs-champions-1/

• Like Like x 4
  2. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    Of course. The 2008 Gators would have smashed the 2013 Noles on a neutral field.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I always feel like these comparisons are like comparing Sofia Vergara to Salma Hayek. They are both so hot there is really no need to rank either one of the second. A NC team is the team that finishes #1 out of roughly 120 other horses. That is running a good race no matter how you cut it.

I don't want to diminish any NC by placing them #10 on a 10 team list, for example.

Stated another way, almost all NC's, except maybe 95 Nebr., needed at least a few instances of pure luck to win it all and most NC's needs lots of luck to win it. What does that tell you? It tells me even seriously great teams can get derailed on the way to a NC.

The 08 Gators, for example, although clearly a formidable team, and a team that could challenge any other team I've seen in my lifetime, didn't even go undefeated. They proved that on any given Saturday some other team can beat you even if they aren't a better team in terms of the whole season. And 08 UF lost at home.

So, honestly, who is to say which of the SEC BCS NC's is the best? Who knows? On a field in elements you just don't know who would win on any given night. And, Sophia is slightly hotter than Salma.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,346
    Not really... It's more like Corvette versus a Cavalier. With 2008 Gators being the Corvette...
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I definitely do not agree that 06 UF is 8th on that list. Imo they should be behind only bama
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. ACCecil

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Well, the Cavalier managed to beat everyone the played while the Corvette was pretty good except for the week off they took to have a tire changed. If we do have lists like this, undefeated teams get a well earned preference. Okay, go ahead, lecture me about how weak the Cavalier's schedule was and how tough the Corvette's schedule was.

And, to some degree, I agree. If a team plays a 14 game schedule against teams that win .750 of their games and another team plays 14 games against .450 winning percent teams, using just one factor, sure the first team will have trouble going undefeated. By the way, 08 UF wouldn't beat 13 FSU easily. It would be close. Most games between NC's would be close, IMHO.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    In the one decent game against a near 4 loss SEC team the Noles needed the graces of god himself to come back and win in the last seconds. A fake punt, a kickoff return td and a broken play with a minute left and the Noles overcame a game where they were soundly handled for the most part. I dont see Auburn 2013 giving Tebow, Harvin and the defense any challenge. In fact, they probably hold 2013 Auburn under 10 points and lay 40 plus on Auburn.

Ill be the first to credit the Noles with doing exactly what they should have done to earn the title but the Noles were gifted the perfect schedule. When they got a taste of the SEC they were essentially an above average club not deserving any comparison to the great gators team.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,659
    Cecil - only one third, or three of nine BCS champions from the SEC went undefeated: '98 Tenn, '10 Auburn and '09 Bama. That UT team must be the worst of the BCS champs, perhaps excepting the '07 LSU team. Point is, being undefeated is not the most relevant criterion.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. gator1gear

gator1gear Member

Ratings Received:
    +53
    The 2008 Gators team would have smashed the 2013 Semis ANYWHERE!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator1gear

gator1gear Member

Ratings Received:
    +53
    Even Cavaliers look mighty against a schedule of Geo Metros.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,406
    08 is easily number one. Look at that staff, and also look and at the freaking talent we had. Two of those coaches are currently coaching at two of the best football programs in the country.

Oh, and they had Harvin and Tebow, two of the greatest gators of all time. Hell, two of the best of all of college fotball players, period. Truly a masterpiece of a team. Damn I miss that team.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,789
    I think Cecil has a reasonable point on comparing teams from different years. And luck plays a role in these perceptions.

For instance, 2011 LSU could easily be at the top of this list and in the running for greatest team in CFB history if they had gotten Okie State instead of a rematch with Bama.

But people will make these comparisons, and in some cases there are very clear differences. This year was a down year over all, but UFS went on a nice run, and came up big in the last quarter of the BCS CG.

And TPD earned those rings, too... total team effort in Tallahassee.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,535
    All that loss did was awaken a sleeping giant named Tim Tebow.

Never poke the bear:cool:
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ACCecil

Ratings Received:
    +392
    One loss teams can be deadly. Some one loss teams galvanize after the loss and get to a new level of nasty and make everyone pay for the loss. On the other hand, if "best" team means the whole season then one loss teams need to be reordered below teams that found a way not to have one loss.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  15. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,659
    Nonsense. You completely neglect the quality of competition.
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. NWFLTider

NWFLTider Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    It is an interesting argument....but where is the line drawn? That 2007 LSU team was as talented a team as there has been in recent SEC history, but lost 2 games. 2008 UF was uber talented but lost to Ole Miss....at home. The same with 2011 Alabama, which I would certainly rank as one of the best Alabama teams ever.

My point is that it is difficult to run the table in the SEC...period. It has not been done very often. That is why I believe that when ranking the best "teams" of the recent SEC run, it has to begin with those teams that actually went through the entire season undefeated....everything else is purely subjective in terms of evaluation.
  17. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    That loss to Ole Miss in 2008 was the catalyst for the rest of the season. Tebow made "The Promise", and the Gators steamrolled through the SEC and the Sooners on their way to a National Championship. That 2008 team was a full-on juggernaut, and one of the most complete college football teams ever assembled. Honestly, only the '95 Huskers would have a shot at beating them in the title game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,659
    Agree that the SEC is difficult/near impossible to run through unscathed. Going undefeated, however, is not necessarily the only objective measure. There are other objective measures that can be used, including strength of schedule. As for some of the teams in question:

UT 19998 #24
    AU 2010 #13
    AL 2009 #2 (can make a strong case for this team)
    UF 2008 #4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,789
    I agree with your statement on one loss teams. And with comparable strength of schedule, I agree on no loss teams being rated above one loss teams... but SOS is definitely a big factor.

'84 BYU was undefeated. Do you honestly believe they were the best team in the country? And should be rated above all other one loss national champions?

They didn't play a top 25 team the entire season. Yet had five games played to a TD or less. Against juggernauts like Hawaii, Air Force and Wyoming.

The rest of the top ten (maybe everyone in the top 20) would have beaten them by double digits. So they chose to play a 6 win Michigan team in their bowl game. And won by 7 points, capping their undefeated season by barely beating a crap team.

Winning all your games doesn't mean chit when you don't play anybody.

Having one loss after playing four or five top ten teams - far more impressive.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. ACCecil

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Oak, true and 84 BYU is an extreme example of an undefeated team winning a NC. Here is the thing ... if we are ranking teams we have to be careful to not give out free passes for losses. If the team in question was so freaking good then why do they have a loss?????? Insert the sound of a tree falling in the woods with no one there to hear it. You see, an undefeated team found ways to avoid that one loss. They deserve credit for that.
    • Agree Agree x 1