Rank UF's position units post spring practice

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, May 2, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    He has been a straight shooter about the QB postion the whole time. The O & B game is one practice and a BS exhibition at that.

Brissett and jeff battled all off season it was an open competition.Muschamp even explain why Driskel got the job and watching the season it seemed like a valid statement and the right move the team went 11-1.

Murphy is less talented than Driskel and Brissett he also showed he didnt have a great grasp of the offense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    you realize how small the sample size you are taking is? You realize what teams you are comparing ?
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    Are you being rhetorical?

Technically, as the season progressed, there were so many injuries that each game presented very unique situations. For example, UF played Missouri with Murphy injured. Should those stats be included in this debate? Because if we don't include that game, his stats are that much better than Driskel's on 3rd down and in the RZ.

There are always arguments for why certain stats are meaningless to make whatever point we want to make.

And yes, obviously, Driskel only took about 130 snaps last year, while Murphy took about 300. But the stats are what they are. And UF had a much better team in week 1 and week 2 than they from week 3 on, so obviously it's not comparing apples to apples. Driskel had the advantage of a more healthy team and more game experience. Yet his stats aren't as good. I wonder why?

The simple answer for that is because he didn't handle pressure as well, which ultimately lead to his injury in 2 games and change. Whereas Murphy survived about 4 games until he was hurt, and 3 more until he was completely knocked out because he was better at evading pressure.
  4. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    Gotta agree with Az here. Brisset did not give UF the best change to win in 2012. He was very talented, but UF needed a mobile QB that avoided risky plays, and for the most part, Driskel did that well in 2012. He fit what the team needed better than Brisset at the time. Perhaps if UF had had better WR's and better pass protection, Brisset would have been the guy, but it wasn't the case.

It's the same reason Murphy ended up being a bit more effective in 2013. It wasn't that he was "better" than Jeff, it was that he fit the offense a bit better, given its massive limitations.

The idea is that Jeff will have a big year, because he is a good fit for Roper's offense, which is why despite the conversation about him not doing well in 2013, I ranked him decently high in the conference because I think things line up better for Driskel in 2014.
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Miami is a better football team than UK and UT. I am not sure that is even up for debate. UF was not very healthy in the Miami game. Do me one favor list who ended the game and at what position on the OL vs Miami. The Miami game you had players and coaches make critical mistakes in the red zone not named Driskel. Now were there changes to red zone calls after Jeff went down ? Yes Did we play teams that were not as good with Tyler ? Yes Is your sample aize small ? Yes Do Muschamp and Roper disagree how the season would have went with Driskal at QB? Yes Could they be wrong? Of course they could but I highly doubt it. Did I say we would have a bad season if Jeff went down before the season? Yes
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Jeff was fine in 2013 and he will be fine in 2014. I dont expect some dramatic change in Driskel's play just because Roper is here. I do expect the people around him to be better thus people will give Roper all the credit when in reality it will for the most part be about Jeff having a better supporting cast.
  7. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,313
    It does not show, we agree to disagree here.
  8. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,313
    This I can agree with, driskel is far and away more talented than brissett and Murphy
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,313
    Nah, we were bad for too long for there not to be enough blame to go around. Roper will get and deserve credit for the improvement, even if he is responsible for a quarter of it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    I agreed with you, Miami is no way all on Driskel, just about every offensive player on the team, and the coaches especially, bear fault for that. All I said was Driskel didn't play well in the red zone. Neither did anyone else. We're agreeing. Driskel had a GREAT game between the 30's, I think UF didn't go 3 and out once that day until the last turnover (which again, not all on Driskel), but I'd have to double check that.

Secondly, Tyler Murphy played against UT, UK, Arkansas, LSU, Missorui, Georgia, and Vanderbilt. He accumulated stats in almost 7 full games, not just UT and UK like you keep mentioning. Driskel just two and change. But Toledo, while maybe better than UK, was not better than Arkansas or UT. And LSU, Missorui, Georgia (arguably), and Vanderbilt (again arguably) were all as good or better than Miami.

Obviously, Muschamp thinks the season would have gone better with his starting QB. Maybe it would have. I have a theory that Driskel was screwed from the beginning because the pass protection last year was CRAP, and he just wasn't good enough at evading pressure in the pocket to EVER be successful last year. It's not his fault, it's just the hand he was dealt. See what I'm saying? 2013 WAS NOT HIS FAULT. Although, just like everyone else, he has to take some blame for Miami.

Regarding who was healthy at the end of the Miami game vs. at the beginning, I'll have to check that and I don't have time right this second. But I doubt the situation was worse then than Mizzou, UGA and Vanderbilt.

If EITHER one of our QB's had been healthy all season, you're probably looking at 2-3 more wins, regardless if it was Murphy or Driskel. I still think Murphy had the better chance last year, only because he was the more evasive and mobile of the two and only made one read before running. But if I had to choose the QB between Murphy and Driskel for next year I would pick Driskel every single time.
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,764
    Bullchit. All you do is evade.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    why wont you elaborate because I am really confused about your question? I am trying not to make assumptions. If you dont like having a conversations with me then dont.
  13. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    Roper is on record saying jeff struggles with throwing the longball. He said he juse throws it as far as he can and does not guide it out of his hand. Our receivers have struggled but its not always their fault.
  14. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    respectfully, we will just have to agree to disagree. Being better at feeling pressure and scrambling is what was needed with that awful Oline play. Driskel could be better at everything but if he couldn't feel pressure which was inevitably coming then he couldn't show his other abilities.

I will say it's pretty unfair to say Murphy played with a lead because he didn't start with one against Tennessee and what leads he did play with he contributed with establishing them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I know what Roper said I poster the article. Look at what you just quoted I said touch was a problem.

"While touch is a problem the bigger problem has been our WR's. They cant get open and they cant win 50/50 balls"

Who on this team in the past 3 years could win 50/50 balls down field?
  16. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    Jeezus dude who said every long ball was a 50/50 ball. There have been times that our receivers were in fact open even if it wasn't frequent enough where Jeff overshot them by a mile. Man, I've been on your side on 95% of your arguments but your delivery sucks.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I am taking everything Driskel did over what the two strengths Tyler had and it seems coaches agree with me. It is not like Driskel is a statue in the pocket he is mobile. If you cant call the protection you are doomed even with scrambling.

Again with the lead I said "for the most part".
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    To answer your first question no one. There have been times WR's have been open deep but they have been few and far between over the past few years. OurWR's have not been good vertical threats and our OL has struggled to block long enough to get down field. Those two things have to happen even before Jeff ever throws the ball. I agree that Jeff isnt the best deep ball thrower but the problems are much bigger than that. I really dont expext Jeff to get that much better a throwing the deep ball even with Roper. What I do expect is us to block better and now we actually have some WR's that can either get open down filed or win a 50/50 ball
  19. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    fair enough. sometimes your responses don't seem to convey enough shared responsibilities. No doubt our offense hasn't been able to block long enough to make consistent deep attempts nor have our receivers been efficient at getting open but I can't recall seeing many if any throws even close when the opportunity was there. Roper seems to think there is quite a bit of blame on Jeffs end since i would assume he isn't always under pressure or throwing against coverage in practices and drills
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    How many times has the opportunity been there in the past two years? Who on our team was getting deep?
    I do remember Patton catching a few last year one in the Miami game. I do remember Hines getting deep in the middle of the field but who was getting open on the outside? There was the Hammons miss in the FSU game.

I didnt see Roper "blame" anyone I saw him answer a question on what he was working on with Jeff. Touch throws and deep throws is what Jeff needs to work on because he is very accurate in the short and intermediate throws.