Rank UF's position units post spring practice

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, May 2, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Lol at bringing up Murphy in that game. You think Murphy makes some of the same throws? You think Murphy makes the filed goals or pick up the first down on the QB sneak? You think Murphy prevents all the other fumbles in the game? You think Muprhy goes through progression in the passing game something he didn't do all season? You think Murphy takes those hits? Are we even calling the same plays because they scaled back the playbook once Muprhy started playing? It was the worst game of the season for our Oline.

The interesting part of that is Muschmap and Roper think the season goes a lot differently with Driskel as the QB.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,949
    Do we need to post the stats on these guys again? Miami didn't have any better defense than the teams that Murph faced. Murph doesn't have the size, arm or the speed that JD has. He is not the same athlete from that perspective and doesn't have the same ceiling.

But what he did have last year in the games when it counts, is better elusiveness in the pocket to extend plays and better composure in big moments. He played better in those moments and the guys around him played better. He scored more and turned the ball over a lot less.

Results speak for themselves.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    What results UF went 4-8? You are doing it again. How is Murphy going to stop Clay Burton from a personal foul? How is Murphy going to run the right routes for the WR's in the Miami game? How is Murphy going to stop the 3 fumbles not made by the QB? Miami game was the worst OL situation all year. How is Murphy going to block in the Miami game? He is not better that is why he went to BC.
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,949
    Now you're just ignoring the facts. In the next three games, with the same players on offense, against similar defenses, he played much, much better than JD did in the first two games.

And the Miami game was very far from the worst OL situation we had all year. I think you must have just tuned out the season.

I suspect he went to BC because he didn't get a fair opportunity his first three years, and the writing was on the wall when Muschamp changed the spring schedule for Driskel.
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I dont think he played much better I dont think those teams were similar and our player certainly didnt play as bad as they did in that Miami game. Again was it Jeff causing the RB TE & WR to fumble the ball against Miami who was a better team than UK UT and Arky?

Miami game was the worse situation for our OL all year look who finished that game.

What happen with the 4 games after UF won 3 in a row? Muschamp and Roper seem to think something different happens in those games if Jeff is the QB.
  6. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,949
    What happened after we won three in a row? We were physically over matched by LSU. Murph got hurt along with some other players, and our season was effectively over because we had no other viable option at QB.

You seem to think the QB's play, his demeanor, his poise and confidence (or lack of any and all of those) have no impact on the the rest of the players on offense. You're flat wrong. Like any team sport, teams are impacted by their leaders. Both positively and negatively. And the defense is impacted too.

You think players on offense perform better with Peyton Manning as QB or Blaine Gabbert?

You think opposing defenses are more confident and aggressive against Peyton Manning or Blaine Gabbert?

The performance and poise of your QB impacts the game on both sides of the ball. Plain and simple.

Aside from that, if JD takes care of his own business against Miami, it doesn't matter that the other guys fumbled. Protect the ball. Hit the open receivers in the end zone. Call a time out when your OC has dialed up a 4th down play that can't work. Use perhaps your greatest asset in your legs to get out of trouble and pick up some first downs.

Take the points that are there and take home the win against a team that is incapable of moving the ball on your defense.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Wait so it is JD's fault the team lost to Miami? But it is not Murphy's fault we lost the other games? Murphy admitted he didnt know the Oline checks in the LSU game. They started calling them from the sidelines. The staff wasn't confident in him so they had to take out plays.

We have Murphy missing passes and plays against LSU UGA Vandy. He wasnt going through his progression either.

We have multiple coaches saying the season is different if Jeff is healthy.
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    I think he played more freely, driskel played tight in the two games he played. Murphy let it loose so to speak. I am a big driskel supporter, but Murphy played with more confidence. He is limited in what he can do and we saw that, but the team at full strength he filled in admirably.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    Once easly went down, our goose was cooked. It really didn't matter who was at qb, our o was not going to lead the team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Where did Driskel play tight? He played with in the system like he was told. Tyler was not doing that. He wasnt going through progressions he wasnt getting the right checks at the line he couldn't make certain throws so they had to take them out.

Now what Tyler was doing well was sliding in the pocket and scrambling but we see where he got us when we played against good football teams we lost. You dont think we win any of those games with Jeff at QB? We are losing to Vandy and UGA with Jeff at QB?
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,949
    Agree. And I think Driskel was situationally tight. I think Roper can help him with that as well as mechanics on touch, and a scheme and tempo that play to his strengths. I am looking forward to see how he develops. Ton of potential.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    While once Easley and a bunch of other players went down we were not going to win the east. There were certainly game there for the taking with better play from the QB position. The main reason I wanted and I think Muschamp wanted Pease gone is because nobody else was prepared to play the QB position once Jeff went down. Look at these quotes from the speeaking tour he is doing now
  13. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    I would agree with one possibly two more wins, but the team was a wreck. I am glad pease is gone and am rather optimistic going into the fall. I like everybody else wants to see it, it's been far too long since we fielded a respectable offense.
  14. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    I really don't think Jeff would have mattered that much once we fell apart health wise. I would love to see Jeff play loose and let everything go so to speak, I hope roper brings that out, kids a beast.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    One of my and I am sure many fans frustrations with Jeff has been his tightness. He seemed to regress the entire 2012 season. I am not putting that all on Jeff, obviously, but he is the head of the snake and it showed most on him.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Go back and watch the film he didnt regress. Again giving the QB too much credit or too much blame it what a lot of people do. When you go back and watch the film you realize Jeff wasnt the problem in the last part of the season. The problem was the Oline. As the Oline got banged up we couldn't get any push up front thus we were struggling to run the ball. When you cant run the ball you become more 1 dimensional and we already know we couldn't pass block in 2012. So now we are putting Jeff in situations where he has to try to complete pass with no real outside threat and an OL TE & RB that cant pass protect.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    what is play lose you want him to run around and not care about throwing ints? He is not a freelancer he is some what mechanical and he needs to stick with that. I know some fans love the WOW play but he needs to just do his job. And the people around him need to do theirs and the team will be fine.

UF is bowling if Jeff is healthy the whole season.
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,949
    You can put LSU on Murph if you want. For any game beyond that, putting down the passing of a QB playing with an injured throwing shoulder seems like a rather low way to try to win an argument.

And you didn't address any of my points in the post that you quoted here and disagreed with. Not one.

That seems to be a recurring theme with you.

So what are you shifting to now?

Are you saying that JD would have played better against LSU, UGA, Mizzou and Vandy than he played against Miami and Toledo?
  19. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,128
    We are all entitled to our own opinions, but heres mine:

UF doesn't beat Tennessee if Jeff Driskel played that entire game at QB. There was something not right about the team last year when Jeff was QB. I don't know what it is, and a I think a lot of it is on the coaches, but the energy on the field was completely different once Tyler Murphy started playing and anyone that has watched football for a considerable period saw that. It was readily evident. And despite the poor Oline play in the Miami game, (which IMO was definitely NOT the worst of the season - UF still did manage 122 yards rushing) if Tyler Murphy had played I believe UF would have been 5-0 heading into the LSU game. He was just shiftier, and I think the team just played better around him.

Now, is Murphy as physically talented as Jeff? No fricken way. Did Murphy know the offense as well? Not even close. But his shiftiness and ability to scramble and keep plays alive, while making smart plays with the football, allowed UF to win 3 games in a row. In the LSU game, UF got physically manhandled on both sides of the ball. Murphy for some reason was a lot more tentative with his scrambling that day, and then he ended up getting hurt, and once that happened, the season was essentially over. Murphy was a shell of himself against Missouri, although despite that, did enough to beat UGA even with the injury, but then the defense and special teams really let the team down that game.

Then Vanderbilt finished off his season in a hurricane of pressure and sacks and INTS.

Do I think the season would have been better had Jeff Driskel been healthy? Well yeah, but I think it would have been also been better if Tyler Murphy had stayed healthy all year too. I think UF certainly beats USCe and Georgia Southern with Murphy healthy, and maybe Georgia as well.

And I think the bottom line is, he was just a shiftier QB that was more apt to run vs. looking to pass, and UF definitely needed that last year because of the crap pass blocking. Jeff was doomed, ironically, because of his desire to go through his progressions and pass the damn ball. That, combined with Murphy's confidence on the field, and I just think he would have salvaged some of the season last year had he stayed healthy.

I'm hoping things go better for Jeff in 2014.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I am saying JD played well enough to win against Miami and Toledo,. I am saying Jeff plays against LSU UGA Mizzou Vandy and the rest of the season we win more football games. Muschamp and Roper agree me.

I am also saying that it wasnt just Tyler's throwing that was the problem. He wasn't going through progressions and he was not making the correct checks at the line of scrimmage this is something he admitted.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1