Rank the SEC

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 08gatorbait, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Good luck with it LOL. I almost guarantee all are ranked differently by each of us because it's really Florida...and absolute chaos...and well USCe and Auburn at the other end.

1. Florida
    2. Kentucky ... but barely right now...4 losses outside of the RPI top fifty is bad. I'd argue Kentucky does not deserve to be ranked at all..comparing resumes to any other ranked teams they are going on nothing but name and potential.
    3. LSU - Now 1-1 vs top 25 RPi. 3-3 vs top 100 and no terrible losses outside of Rhode island which was mind boggling.
    4. Missouri - 1-0 vs top 25 RPI, 2-0 vs top 50 RPI. They have the ability to beat good teams, but seem to forget to show up vs bad teams, especially on the road.
    5. Tennessee - Outside of the UF game, they have played strong opponents and done well even in losses to look like a good team. Their domination of Virginia is still one of the most impressive SEC wins OOC. Also very close to beating the undefeated witches :).
    6. Ole Miss - Yet to face a top 25 RPI team. 0-2 vs top 50. Still they seem to be getting it together. At home they are tough, especially if that one guy we all hate goes off.
    7. Arkansas - Well...at home they are top 5...they are next to USCe and Auburn on the road...I still can't even remotely comprehend how they can be so god awful on the road. 4-5 vs top 100 RPI is pretty good for them though.
    8. Aggies - Started SEC play hot but cooling off. Biggest wins are Arky and @Tennessee which is a pretty strong win.
    9. Vandy - Lot of people will think it's weird. 2-4 in conference but wins over Missouri and the Aggies and all four loses aren't bad.
    10. Alabama - Team made a crazy bad mistake of scheduling an absolutely grueling non conference schedule. But zero really quality wins and three losses in the 101-150 range. Can't figure themselves out.
    11. Georgia - three top 100 wins...but not a great team but seems to rise up occasionally but also more likely to get blown out lol
    12. Miss State - Only because the other two are worse
    13. Auburn - Lose with more style
    14. South Carolina - OMG this team is god...god awful.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    1. Florida

2. Kentucky

a bunch of teams basically tied for 3rd
    3. LSU
    3.Tennessee
    3. Arkansas
    3. Mizzou
    3. Ole Miss

everyone else sucks.

I think we should revisit this thread when everyone has played their 9th game, halfway through the SEC schedule. The logjam of average/good teams will clear itself up a bit by then. All the other teams that currently suck will most likely still suck.
  3. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    We could do this weekly and it would change dramatically...the SEC is crazy so it's fun to rank.
  4. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    1. Florida 17-2, (6-0) <-- Ranked #3/4, 6th rpi; In good position to win the regular season SEC title out-right (but still a long way to go) and to secure either a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAAs!
    2. Ole Miss 14-5, (5-1) <-- Now becomes the biggest threat to UF in winning the SEC. Still bugs me that the Gators didn't win the SEC Tourney last year over the rebels. Marshall Henderson has become an annoying little twerp whenever he wins! Rpi: 58. No significant nonconference wins.

3. Kentucky 15-5, (5-2) <-- rpi 17; Chance for a high NCAA seed have taken another hit.
    4a. Missouri 16-4, (4-3) <--- rpi 46; Starting to separate from the pack and solidifying as an NCAA quality team after the big road win at Arkansas. Tigers could improve their seeding vastly with wins over UK & UF!

4b. LSU 13-6, (4-3) <-------- rpi 56; Huge NCAA resume win over UK.
    4c. Georgia 10-8, (4-2) <---- rpi 120; If the bulldogs keep winning, will have to rank them higher. UGA making steady progress to qualify for the NiT.

7a. Tennessee 12-7, (3-3) <--- rpi 55; Has some quality wins over Virginia, Xavier, Wake Forest, @LSU, & Arkansas; but poor losses to UTEP & Texas A&M; still on NCAA bubble.
    7b. Alabama 9-10, (3-3) <----- rpi 82; Bama has a steep hill to qualify for any post-season.

7c. Texas A&M 12-7, (3-3) <-- rpi 138; {UF plays these teams back-to-back; a loss here}
    7d. Miss. St 13-6, (3-3) <------ rpi 139; {would be considered as a bad loss}; Compared to the rest of the sec teams, MSU did not challenge themselves at all in their nonconference schedule (only #218 in schedule dificulty).

11a Vanderbilt 10-8, (2-4) <--- rpi 86; Commodores are rebuilding but can be dangerous.
    11b Arkansas 13-7, (2-5) <----- rpi 88; Have now lost two home games and haven't been able to win on the road. Razorbacks have 3 good nonconference wins over Minnesota, Clemson, & SMU and one good conference win over Kentucky. Just haven't been able to win enough in the sec.

13. South Carolina 7-12, (0-6) <--- rpi 144; The Gamecocks have scheduled a difficult nonconference schedule (just like Alabama, Tenn, UF, UK) but haven't been able to win enough.

14. Auburn 8-9, (0-6) <---- rpi 196; UF plays a home game w/Auburn sometime in February.

Note: The bolded teams have the best chance to qualify for the NCAAs! LSU, Tennessee, & Ole Miss are NCAA bubble teams while Arkansas is off the bubble and needs more significant wins in their sec schedule just to qualify for the bubble.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    See..and it's hard to argue any of that...gotta love parity...let's just hope every one else is flip floppy..but UF pwning stays consistent :p
  6. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    I would argue that Ole Miss has beaten no one and is probably closer to #5 than #2...but like I said in my (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) rankings, revisiting this next week will yield different results. The Ole Miss-UT game this week would have a sizable bearing on where I put those teams.
  7. RD_gator

Ratings Received:
    +131
    I just kept my rankings simple as it pertains to teams most capable of winning the SEC Conference title as of today. I didn't try to make it a power rating based on any offensive/defensive efficiency, etc. Or try to project what a given team (i.e UK, Tenn, etc.) is capable of. My criteria was simply 1st SEC standings and 2nd the rpi (which tries to reward merrit of a given team) to distinguish teams with similar conference records.

People tend to overlook or dismiss the 'weaker' teams like Georgia, Mississippi as teams incapable of winning the sec. You never know if they may sneak in and get a share of the sec title. For example, looking at Mississippi's schedule, the rebels seemed to be playing a much easier schedule compared to UF's by avoiding to play more of the top contenders (i.e, UF, UK, Mizzou, UT, LSU) twice:
    UF: plays UK twice, UT twice!
    Miss: plays only UK twice;
    Avoids playing UF twice, UT twice, Mizzou twice, or LSU twice!
  8. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I think some teams you can dismiss honestly just based on consistency and just overall ability. The tournament could be interesting, but some teams it's just incredibly unlikely I think. Georgia, Aggies, Miss State, Auburn, USC, Vandy, Bama...I think it's pretty reasonable to think they aren't winning a regular season title..everyone else still could bring some noise I agree.
  9. RD_gator

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Some SEC scores:
    Tenn: 86, Ole Miss: 70 (Good home win for the vols!) --> UT (13-7, 4-3); Miss (14-6, 5-2)
    South Carolina: 80, Texas A&M: 52 (winless Gamecocks pick up 1st SEC win!) --> TAMU (12-8, 3-4), USC (8-12, 1-6)

VU: 59, UGA: 54 --> VU (11-8, 3-4), UGA (10-9, 4-3)
    Bulldogs are starting to fall to the pack while the sneaky commodores keep improving.

Alabama @ Auburn --> Postponed!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    I've watched Texas A&M twice this season and am amazed that they have managed to win three league games. It looks like things are catching up to them now. 28 point loss to Carolina and a trip to Gainesville up next for them.
  11. RD_gator

Ratings Received:
    +131
    It's too bad Chris Walker doesn't make his debut against a little easier opponent like Texas A&M.
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    Missouri has a weak post game. Oriakhi and Bowers are gone.