Rand: "...Enemy is too often us."

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tim85, Jun 20, 2014.

1. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/rand-paul-the-enemy-is-too-often-us-20140620

"According to Gallup, just 7 percent of Americans say they have either "a great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in Congress, a historic low recorded by the polling firm. So it makes sense for Sen. Rand Paul to criticize his colleagues in the run-up to a likely run for the White House. "I can tell you without exaggeration that I've met the enemy, and the enemy is too often us," he said in a Friday speech at the Faith & Freedom Coalition's "Road to the Majority" conference, which attracts Christian-values voters to Washington."

Congress is responsible for "the bipartisan destruction of our currency," he said.

"They pass 100-page bills no one has read," he said. "No bill should ever pass that has not been read."

"Congress routinely passes laws they exempt themselves from," he said.

"Over time many politicians become distant and distanced from their constituents," he said.

"It is the right time for term limits," he said.

I like.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +446
    I like about 50% of Rand's musings, this one included. Which, sadly, is much more than I can say for most "representatives".
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. thedude60

thedude60 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    Rand Paul , another Goper obstructionist who wants to set on his ass and run his mouth with almost Machiavellian prose,, except he is all cowcrap
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,183
    Based on what I have seen of the front runners from both parties I really can't say any of them would get my vote.
  5. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,454
    I would like Rand if he hadn't started his pandering to the religious right (such as, for example, attending the conference at which he said this).
  6. busigator96

busigator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    Term limits will NEVER happen. Why would congress vote themselves out of office? Most are too narcissistic and selfish to care about anything bigger than getting re-elected.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +684
    Evidently Senator Rand Paul is a fan of the late Walt Kelly and Pogo, one of the greatest comic strips to ever grace the funny pages of any newspaper. The words were addressed to Porky Pine by Pogo the Possum. Kelly may have intended them to address pollution but the strip appeared in the early 70's, the early years of our involvement in Vietnam.

The strip was set in the Okeefenokee Swamp and another of the regular characters was an Albert Alligator.

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_(comic_strip)

8. persegator

persegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    One of the biggest problems with Congress is the concept of "party leadership." If you want to get anything done for your constituents, you absolutely have to get the support of the party leaders. To do that, you have to play by their rules and vote like a lemming.

Here, vote for this, don't vote for that. It's 1000 pages? No need to read it, it wasn't even written by us. You're voting as a quid pro quo to get your baby through, remember? Actually considering a bill on its merits isn't something we encourage in our party. Oh, and remember, if you try to play hardball, all we have to do is put in a few phone calls to this list of our party's 100 biggest donors and tell them to cut your support for re-election.

If I had my way, I would ban any non-public interaction between congressmen. You want to talk? Put it on the record. Available to the public in glorious 1080p. Try to weasel your way out and you are kicked out of Congress and put in jail.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    He's a long way from
    perfect but I would like to give him a try at Pres. He's not as far off the reservation as his father but has some of his father's libertarian beliefs. He's a got a legitimate shot. But I'm afraid he'll have to play the game to get the support he needs to make it to the next level. As so many before him he'll get corrupted in order to make it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +748
    I think we should try a dictator. No, wait, we're trying it now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,758
    If proposed in an Article V convention, Congress would have no say in the matter.
  12. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    Congress is a reflection of the people...as in, what we allow them to get away with

Partisans don't want compromise, neither do special interests
  13. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    This is kind of how I feel. I'm young, but I know enough to know not to put too much faith into any politician, regardless of what they say(look what happened with our current sitting POTUS). But he's about the only conservative publicly addressing certain issues like the NSA, term limits, more isolated military efforts, etc - so it shows me he's at least thinking outside the box. He's smart enough to know not to focus on really silly issues like gay marriage.
  14. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    Yep, anytime the politicians focus on one of the long line of meaningless issues, they are just using slight of hand to distract from what is really important, (see any issue that obama deems important) but get ready to choose between Hillary or Jeb. Yes, voters are that stupid.
  15. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    people need to stop putting faith in any politicians, as they are only as powerful as the power structure allows them to be

if you want politicians to work for you, then both bases need to unite for true campaign finance reform....until then, they will always be beholden to special interests, first and foremost

this is why I chuckle at those on the right, who fully believe, that if only one of theirs were sitting at the Oval Office, all would be fine. Collective amnesia
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    I don't know of any conservative that thinks "we'd be fine," but I think a lot of them think we would be better off(honestly, it would be hard not to be better off than what we currently have), and I also think they're probably thinking of a more ideally conservative President, not along the lines of the more recent Republican givings.

I think it's partially that "faith in politicians" that got the current guy elected. I will never forget the amount of naiveté and blind-following some people took part in in '08 because they really thought this guy was somehow different.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,758
    The only way to truly minimize corruption in Washington is to minimize the power and reach of Washington. Who bribes and curries favor with people who simply do not have the power to hook them up?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    as long as what "we have" is a system that doesn't work for the average American, people will always be saying we could be better off, especially those who didn't vote for the person in charge....means little when speaking to the 2 parties
  19. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    I think what most Republicans believe is that "their" special interests - big oil, big corporations, the NRA and conservative religious groups, etc. - will run the country better than the Democrats special interests - unions, the environmental movement, etc. In my opinion both sides see that the strings are being pulled by those with big money and, as voters, we just have some limited choice in which big money is running our country.
  20. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    You don't have to agree with Rand's politics to agree with his statement. Even if he meant a different context, the absolute statement is true.

America is it's own worst enemy.