Ranchers racist comments cause him to lose lawmakers support

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Apr 24, 2014.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Yah tow truck drivers around college campuses are certainly pretty overzealous. As you said, not the best analogy, as your friend's yard with explicit permission is considerably different than public land with an explicit court order telling you to leave. I just used that example because Michi was hung up on how this was the equivalent to a parking ticket. So I figure he must be in favor of getting out of parking tickets in that manner, as they would need to bring in weaponry to subdue you after you threatened the driver.
  2. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Come on, all they had to do was send in a team and arrest the guy. The local swat I'm sure could've arrested the guy.
    lol...The irony...
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I think that was kind of asura's point. They could have busted down his door, pointed high end assault rifles at him and his family and hauled him away for breaking the law and threatening law enforcement. They didn't do that. So if anything, they tried to be pretty light on him, which has resulted in probably more trouble for them (not to mention the horrible precedent of "threaten a law enforcement official and get out of following the law"). Based on the actions of these folks, the next time something like this comes up, they will probably just nip it in the bud and send in the SWAT team (military trained police basically) and deal with the griping rather than the nuts who show up with guns.
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Not impossible, but a lot more difficult. And he is certainly no patriot (he doesn't recognize his own country's national government- that is kinda the exact opposite of a patriot) nor a hero (he is knowingly breaking the law by trying to mooch off of taxpayers without paying for the services he is receiving from them and trying to get out of it by threatening violence against law enforcement)
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  5. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    maybe not. But what made Bundy either a patriot or a hero? What did he do other than refuse to pay his bills?
  6. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,693
    I love how when Limbaugh, Hannity or Beck make fools of themselves we get a knee jerk right wing reaction, usually from one poster, who asserts that whichever one it was really doesn't matter to Foxbot world because that particular poster doesn't watch/listen to his show.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +917
    So - because they didn't foresee what this guy would say - that makes them fools?
  8. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    And no one had known he had lied(if he even did) at the time all of this broke.
  9. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    IT's bizarre, isn't it? I mean, it's not like people knew the guy was lying or was a blatant racist. As I said, you'd think people would be happy people are pulling away from the guy, instead they get criticized. Welcome to America.
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,242
    Yes, you are cutting edge. I mean until today, no one had ever heard of the clever "faux" News play on words.
    How do you stay so.... Progressive?

In fact, from now on I will call you SoFLOgator.

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,242
    [​IMG]
  12. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    What was his case to begin with? He grazed his cattle on federal land, refused to pay the fees and claimed he didn't recognize the existence of the United States.
    That was his case. What's to celebrate about that?

And seriously, I've asked this before: What made anything about what he did honorable, much less praise and comparisons to Rosa Parks, MLK or Gandhi?
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,167
    You don't need a crystal ball to be able to predict that a 70 year old man who thinks the federal government is illegitimate might have some *interesting* views about race. There are probably zero people who said: "damn, who would have guessed that guy was a giant racist?" when his comments were revealed.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    The fact that they have to pull away from a guy whose claim to fame was denying the existence of the national government (which somehow makes him a patriot despite the fact that this really is the exact opposite of patriotism), trying to produce his products (cattle) for free on public lands, and threatening law enforcement officers with violence is a bit more disturbing, don't you think?

I mean sure, he said some idiotic things about race. But why were people supporting him while he threatened people for attempting to enforce court orders? Why were people calling him a patriot while saying he didn't recognize the national government (and then absurdly carrying around the flag for the nation in which he doesn't recognize the existence of the national government)? These seem to be more important questions. The fact that this guy was lying or a racist shouldn't be terribly shocking given the endless stream of idiotic things that this guy has done.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Boring Boring x 1
  15. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Denying the existence of the National government was not his claim to fame. Standing up to them was. I don't know of a single conservative that thinks the federal government shouldn't exist, they're out there I'm sure, but they're in the small minority.

Why do people do things? I don't know, md. I didn't follow the story that close, but what I did see was the government 'flexing their muscles' against a guy and his family on a farm who didn't pay some fines.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    And by standing up to the national government, you mean threatening to shoot law enforcement officers carrying out a court order. And by fines you mean his bills for his business (in which he was trying to steal the raw materials). And by flexing their muscles, you mean sending out armed agents after he made threatening statements if somebody came to enforce the court orders.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    What point are you driving at here, md? Come on, be reasonable here. The government could have taken care of this in any number of ways that would have never have become the media spectacle that it was, but they didn't, instead they decided they wanted to go over-the-top with it. I don't know what it is you're debating here.

If you're trying to convince me he's not a patriot, don't waste your time, I don't think he's one. I couldn't care less about the guy or his views. I do care about money spent, and time spent, and our federal government being silly.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    For fun, at least he's an equal opportunity employer:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...nn-he-treats-me-his-own-family-andrew-johnson

"Bundy’s Black Bodyguard to CNN: ‘He Treats Me As His Own Family"

Cliven Bundy’s controversial comments about race are not reflective of the Nevada rancher’s character, according to Jason Bullock, his black bodyguard. He is standing by Bundy.

CNN’s Dan Simon spoke with Bullock at the ranch, saying he “noticed him, quite simply, because he’s black.” Bullock explained that he’s standing by Bundy and looks up to him “just like I do my own grandfather.

I would take a bullet for that man if need be,” he said. “I believe in his cause, and after having met Mr. Bundy a few times, I have a real good feel about him and I’m a pretty good judge of character.

He’s shown me nothing but hospitality and he treats me as his own family,” Bullock added.

Simon remarked that he found the “irony” of Bullock’s affinity for Bundy “to be super thick.”
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Like what? You suggested that they pull out the SWAT team, which is using military style police, to arrest him at gun point. Is that less over the top than trying to move his cattle from public lands while not arresting him?

Well next time, you will likely see that they won't spend a bunch of time and money on being silly by trying to to arrest the guy. Next time, they will bust down his door, point assault rifles at him, and arrest him, and worry about the griping about using military style tactics later. But the good news for them will be that it will be far less of a story, as they will have nipped the issue in the bud.
  20. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,442
    It's a civil case, he doesn't have a constitutional right to counsel...

And he's the moron who decided to represent himself through this whole thing.