Radical change in training approach: why and how ...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Why ...

Simple: joint pain. For at least a year now I've used predominantly bodyweight exercises. And for about four months now I've been practicing gymnastic strength progressions.

I'm proud of having accomplished certain movements that, I daresay, most men half my age can't perform. One-armed pushups, handstand pushups, pistol squats, etc. More recently, I've progressed to advanced tuck planches, advanced tuck levers and was sticking some pretty decent handstands.

But being that I just turned 56, I'm beginning to suspect that this is not a sustainable course of action. Plus, it is wholly inconsistent with the message I'm trying to get across to clients and prospective clients: low-risk/high-payoff exercises = sustainability = results.

Key moment: when I couldn't pick up my 12 pound dog without experiencing pain in the wrists, forearms and elbows. No way to go through life.

Action plan: take week off then commence with following template ...
  2. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    How ...

Probably just a push, pull and lower-body movement done circuit-style. Probably just shoot for a predetermined number of total reps and then continue circuits until reps amassed.

All movements predicated on: (1) lack of pain (2) can feel in muscle, not in joint and (3) can safely perform for higher reps. Sample movements might be: stability ball pushups, inverted rows, dumbbell step-ups, et.al.

Hoped for result: feel and move better, more muscle. This is an hypertrophy approach. Higher reps, higher volume, go for pump. Should be more fun in that I should be able to better quantify progress from week to week. May also throw in curls, side laterals, forearm work, neck work, etc.

Will try not to go hog-wild with the walking. Relaxed eating without aiming to 'bulk up.'

I'm pumped! or rather will be. Excited to have made peace with certain constraints, eager to get on with a more sensible strategy, one which should have me actually looking more like a fitness trainer. At present, notwithstanding my ability to move my body through space, I'm gaunt and wiry. Basically, I'm probably the tiniest I've been in my adult life. Chest is 38", waist 29", thighs 19", biceps 12". Obviously, the prior approach netted specific strength and agility but didn't do anything for muscle. Probably lost some.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Good luck on the new routine. Hope it helps in the pain, a hypertrophy routine like the one outlined should allow you to work around the problem areas and reduce the issues you are having.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    ^ Thanks, friend. Tried a suggested circuit today and no pain. May be sore tomorrow. And I daresay that muscle soreness beats joint pain any day of the week.

This is a departure from the slightly crazy stuff I was doing. But I feel better about myself. A centerpiece of my 'elevator speech', for business leads groups I attend, have me inveighing against the obsessions and compulsions of the fitness world, and the way in which trainers foist their anxieties on their clients. I'd much prefer to convey to prospective clients and trainer who employs the same, sane strategies that he would recommend to them.
  5. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Good luck with the change of routine!
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Thanks! Also went out and purchased some equipment at Wal-Mart today:

Suspension Trainer
    20lb. Weight Vest
    Stability Ball.

Total cost about $100. The name brand suspension trainer is twice that alone.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    We have trx in my gym and apt complex. Never use it though.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    I'm primarily interested in two movements they allow me to do that I can't figure out how to do otherwise: (1) suspended pushups and (2) neutral-grip inverted rows.

No way I'd spend like $200 for TRX to be able to do those.