Rachel Maddow posted worst ratings ever

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Aug 28, 2013.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    There is some evidence of their relationship.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2112184?uid=3739600&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102607867173

Measured intelligence has a positive relationship with college plans, attendance, and graduation, according to this study.

Certainly, it is not a perfect relationship. But yes, on aggregate, there does appear to be a relationship. However, I specifically discussed education and not intelligence for a reason, as that is what the research measured.
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    I guess it would be worth some scrutiny if they can study intelligence against how much time undergrads spend rolling their eyes vs. nodding in agreement with most of the bilge spewing from their liberal arts professors and their TAs between pieces of substantive information.

Also "education in what" leaps to mind as how it correlates to intelligence.
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    I would imagine more intelligent people are able to more easily determine what is actually bilge versus what is actually a well-reasoned and presented statement. I mean, that is what we measure with intelligence tests. Of course, your opinion on those matters (ie. what is bilge or not) is hardly definitive as to what is good or not.

If you are discussing college degrees and intelligence, there was one study done on this a little while back. Engineering, math, computer science, and physical sciences perform the best. Next is biological sciences. Following that, is humanities, social sciences, and arts. Next up is business and finally education.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/finding-the-next-einstein/201108/how-brainy-is-your-major

However, as to Dave's original point, you will also notice that undergrads perform worse than comparable Master's students in each field, which perform worse than Ph.D. students in each field in which Ph.D. performance was measured.

[​IMG]
  4. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    'Gimmie your C students with common sense and I'll kick the shit out of your A students that cant walk and chew gum.'

that's a quote I heard many times growing up. I am probably one of the former, although I made lots of A's over a period of 6 or 7 years it took me to get my BA.:wink: