Questions of the day

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Here are three pertinent basketball questions for you to consider and offer your opinions:

1. Which program do you perceive to be the dirtiest in all of college basketball?

2. Will Kentucky be that good in 2013-14 or is this just media hype based on potential of guys who have never played a minute of college basketball?

3. If Bruce Pearl's NCAA coaching ban were lifted would you consider hiring him?
  2. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    1. UNC
    2. It depends on how they "Gel". They have a huge upside, and a huge downside.
    3. Probably not.
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    1. Any team coached by Ole Roy

2. Yes UK will be very good. They would have been very good last year if they had a point guard. They have a point guard this year. Will they win it all? Crapshoot. They will be very good though.

3. No and only because he was a dirty vol. Otherwise I love the guy.
  4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    1. Kentucky -- they just recruit too good, leaving the PERCEPTION of filth, even if there's no reality.

2. Yes. It will take a smart, veteran team to beat them.

3. Yes. In a heartbeat.
  5. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    1. UNC

2. They will be good, but will not win the NC

3. Absolutely not
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +608
    1. UNC. This is a phrase that gets over used by fans but "rotten to the core" honestly appears befitting of them.

2. For UK not to be really good it will take significant chemistry issues, players not listening to coaches, and/or multiple important players being massively overrated. I don't think any of these are likely. Who knows about a title, but I'm very confident in a 1 or 2 seed. Who knows after that.

3. At some schools, yes. Not at a school with other good options though.
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    1. Historically UNLV and UCLA. Now I don't know.

2. They are the most loaded team since the old Sam Gilbert days at UCLA, but they are very youthful.

3. Pearl has been a slimy MF since he was an assistant at Iowa. I would rather get rid of the team than hire him.
  8. Gatorbait33

Gatorbait33 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    1. UCLA
    2. Yes
    3. Definite yes, had a great record against Billy
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,414
    1. I agree with UNC being the worst at this point

2. I believe they stand a good chance if the team jells but right now that is not a given

3. No, not at UF. Maybe some other school.
  10. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    1. I think the perception is that Kentucky is as slimy as it gets because of the people known to associate with John Calipari. I don't think Cal has to actually break a rule, but I believe there are people associated with him in very high rungs on the basketball ladder that have no such problems. It's my belief and also that of others who have covered him for years that Cal can do his Sgt. Schultz and say "I know nothing" because he really doesn't have to cross the line. It doesn't change perceptions, however.

2. I believe the Harrison twins are going to be Calipari's greatest challenge. If they don't become total team players Kentucky will have a seriously difficult time since there are no backups. The twins haven't been given the thumbs up by the Clearinghouse either.

3. If I am a down and out program with nothing to lose, I'd be willing to give Pearl a chance. The man can coach and I actually think he's at his best with a program that has nowhere to go but up.
  11. hoopstar

hoopstar Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    1) Program - Rutgers, based on recent actions by the basketball coaches & AD cover-up attempts. That to me is pure dirt friends & it went on for sometime - even the Prez knew about it!!! Programs as a rule aren't dirty - too much at stake for a University. Coaches - that's dif. Cal has the rap everywhere he's been not to mention his long association with WWWes! So he's Coach ''Pigpen''!
    2) As soon as the starting lineup is announced at KY, trouble begins! Huge ego's get bruised, the 5 star players posse's get in their ears about how they should be playing/starting - not riding the pine! Look at last season - #1 ranked recruiting class & terrible team, chemistry, coaching - a disaster! This year could be even worse. If they can leave their ego's in the dorm rooms - they could be a monster to deal with by Jan 1st! I hope their ego's sit on the bench with them & torture them the entire game!!
    3) Yes - unless a better choice was out there. Dang good recruiter, motivator & game coach. Must be kept on a tight leash though! But I'd hire him. We all have sinned - so I'm not casting any stones at anyone!!
  12. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Good to have you here Hoopstar. Folks, when it comes to UF basketball, Hoopstar is the realest of the real.
  13. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Hoopstar, are you Thunder Dan Werner? I hope you say yes. It would be pretty awesome.
  14. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +608
    I haven't kept up with all the Rutgers stuff, but wasn't it mostly covering up player abuse? Not that this isn't serious, I'm just not sure its cheating. Its an interesting school to bring up though.

I still don't see how anyone could not vote for UNC unless they haven't been following things. More than a decades worth of football and basketball players (two title teams included) being pushed, by people under the umbrella of athletics, into "no-show" classes that required no attendance or assignments. This doesn't include Hansboroughs mom being employed by the school and using school funds to fly to her sons road games. This doesn't include the recent developing story about "wheels for heels" where last year's best player drove rental cars provided by a party promoter totaling more than 12k worth of rentals. Oh yeah - same party promoter tied to other football and basketball players (past and present stars). This isn't hearsay and isn't something smelling funny or looking like smoke. There is proof of each of these. BY FAR the worst IMO is the academic fraud. It involves a systematic approach by multiple departments throughout different levels of the university over many many years.

You're right about ego's though. The only thing is, I think you're thinking its a little more likely than it is that there will be a problem. You point to last year as evidence - which was much more about a lack of talent (mainly a PG) than egos - but don't point to the three years prior to last. I'm not saying they couldn't implode. I just don't think its very likely.
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    UK - no - no
  16. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Handling Ryan Harrow will seem like a walk in the park compared to the twins.
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +608
    Ryan Harrow wasn't an ego issue. Irrelevant.

If the Twins have a huge problem with lack of confidence and can't handle a spot light, then you'd have a point.

Cal has had 4 teams at UK. One of them had ego issues that were at all significant. That team went into the tournament as the number 1 seed after losing 2 games in the regular season.
  18. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    We will just have to disagree on this one REM.
  19. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    1. National perception is UK but my opinion is UNC. Actually, there are a few that are probably dirtier than UNC but they aren't as prominent.

2. I think UK will be one of the top teams in the country. That happens to be the exact same prediction I had last year so my preseason predictions are pretty meaningless. I have similar skills at picking horses.

3. Yes I would depending on the program. Not at UF.
  20. hoopstar

hoopstar Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    No sir - but I like Dan. Good Gator!
    • Like Like x 1