Questions of the day: Winston, Jones, UF-UM

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ufla5220, Sep 3, 2013.

1. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    ESPN has some pretty in-depth highlights of the kid, and he looks pretty good. Even one of his two incompletions might have in fact been a 20 yard completion. There were some open receivers, but if Driskel did this, I think we'd be all in.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=332450221
  2. igabradley

igabradley Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +313
    true. i also think us playing early last week will help
  3. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +667
    Could not agree more. Their style of offense lights up the defensive cupcakes for loads of points making you think it is some juggernaut monster offense and that it is a better unit than it actually is, but against a real defense it doesn't look so hot unless it is one of those rare super loaded offensive units which FSU is not and will not be under Dumbo Fisher.

Last season they scored 69 vs murray state, 55 vs savanah state, 52 vs wake forest, 49 vs clemson etc...yet scored 20 points against our defense (26 if you count their last second TD against out prevent D).

And in the process of going all out and aggressive against us, they scored only 20 points when it mattered, produced 3 turnovers which set us up for short scoring drives, and they allowed us to kill them in the TOP battle 36 to 24 which caused their exhausted D to collapse in the 4th quarter. Was it really worth it?
  4. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +500
    1 - Hard to say. Not taking away from him because it was a very impressive first game performance, but there have been a lot of QBs through the years who could sit back in the pocket with lots of time and complete lots of passes. The real test will be how he handles a defense that can pressure him. If he can make good decisions and perform well against pressure, then he's probably going to be a pretty special player.

2 - Certainly important. He'll probably get the most touches, assuming he's recovered enough to take them, but I think that Mack Brown earned his share of carried and Showers provides a change of pace that will get him some touches too. I think Jones will probably get about 15 touches, Brown maybe about 8 and Showers maybe around 4.

3 - I think that depends more on Miami than UF. This appears to be a game Miami fans and the team have circled and I expect them to be very emotional and play above their potential. I think we have the talent differential to win by 10+, even on the road, but I think this game could be pretty close.
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,398
    1. Famous Jameis... very good. Pitt defense and game plan... very bad. Why give so much cushion to those receivers?

2. I think Jones is important to the offense, but also that we'll rotate the backs - especially if there is any concern about him over heating.

3. I think we'll win by 7 to 10 if we keep running the offense the way we have been. If we take some shots down field when the opportunity presents itself, perhaps by 17 or so. I expect our defense to control the Miami offense for most of the game and get a couple of picks. Miami will probably hit on a few big plays - as long as we contain them to 20 to 30 yard plays, rather than 50+, we should be okay.
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,267
    Very. Pitt had a 16th ranked defense last year and returned six starters. it was a good start for his first game. I don;t think Pitt's defense is poor.

Unsure. We seem to have a strong stable of RBs, but if Matt is better than all of them, it only helps.

Florida would have a 6.5 point homefield advantage? I kinda doubt that. As for the game, I think it will be closer than people think unless the offense controls the clock. I was nervous about the defense, but less so after watching the Toledo game.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,398
    As you say, we shouldn't expect Pitt's defense to be poor based on last year and returning starters... but they were playing way too far off the Nole receivers. They basically just let the Noles pass at will. If they keep that up, they're going to have a very long season.

The home field advantage s/b about 3 typically, although can be more at some sites. But if you add three to get the neutral site line, you're at 7.5 pts, and another 3 or so if we played in Gainesville (which could definitely rate a higher home field advantage), you're up to about 11 pt line if we were playing at home.
  8. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,656

If Mr. Winston and Mr. Jack Nicklaus' invisible nephew score 4 TDs on us, I will be impressed.

I mean, the guy was not covered all night.

Winston has the "it" factor, though; I don't know if it is on par with Johnny Football's "it" factor or not, but I give the kid field presence and ability to deliver . . . without much pressure.

Let's see how he does against, oh, say, UF.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorstein

gatorstein VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    1. I thought Winston had an incredible game, but what I liked most was how he spoke after the game. He gave the credit to his team. Well spoken and very humble.
    2. I think Jones will make a big difference in this game. Brown won't have to be a workhorse this week and neither will Jones. They should mash up that Dline for Taylor to showcase later in the game.
    3. I was a little nervous Saturday evening, but as the week goes on I feel good about this game. I wouldn't be surprised to win by 10+, but my head is telling me it will be by 6. Very concerned with our kicker...
  10. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +405
    1. Wasn't impressed with Winston shredding an ACC defense

2. Jones will get the bulk of the carries, with Brown and Showers getting the rest

3. I think it will be a close game until halftime, then after that we will start to pull away.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I hope the same people unimpressed with Winston were also unimpressed with aspects of our team since we played Toledo. Otherwise, that would be the definition of hypocrisy.

I thought he looked every bit of the hype. He is their best QB since Weinke, by far.
  12. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    1. Meh gotta wait in see... North till you smell it, west till you step in it.

2. 50/50 Jones Mack

3. Ground and pound baby
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,440
    1) Very impressed. He was highly effective against a joke of a team.
    2) Not very, that is, unless he comes out and dominates. I hope that is the case, but it's hard to imagine that, considering his recent illness. I would love to see MJ get 75+ yds on 12 carries, which would indicate that he was effective on the ground. Would also like to see Mack play well and have a productive tandem.
    3) Out of all the factors, the line bothers me the most. The Gators appear to be the more talented and "ready" team, but I expect this to be a barn-burner. In light of the recent line movement, I would not be surprised by a 3 pt. Gator victory. Those dudes in Vegas are good.
  14. TWGator

TWGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    I noticed this as well. Almost like their pass "defense" was to hope the Noles just didn't catch the ball, or catch and then fumble. Also didn't put much pressure on Winston, either.

All that said, though, I'm very impressed with the kid, both on and off the field. The Nolies got a good one and I only hope MLB comes calling next year with a very big check...
  15. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    If Jameis is half as good as we all think he is after last night, he's only got one future year at FSU after this one. And unless he learned from EJ Manuel how to turn over the the ball repeatedly in big games, I'll be happy to see him move on.
  16. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    1. Yes on both...he was that good at Hueytown and I know Saban is blowing a head gasket losing him.
    2. Not sure....he lost 15 lbs so the question is his stamina in Miami...very humid.
    3. I would make it even odds. First road game and not sure if we will open it up to give space for the backs.
  17. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Pitts defense was horrible.

Winston played very well though
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,267
    Wow! If Pitt is "horrible," "bad," and "a joke of a team," what does that say about Toledo? Pitt's D isn't bad. They may have played badly, but their defense is infinitely better than Toledo's, and Winston outplayed Driskel, a far more experienced player. I think some of you would rather get a root canal without anesthetic than give props to anyone wearing Garnet and Gold...:laugh:
  19. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    I would take Toledo on a neutral site againstPitt
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,267