Questions of the day: Winston, Jones, UF-UM

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ufla5220, Sep 3, 2013.

1. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    I am confused, Winston plays for FSU, you realize we play Miami on Saturday, right?
  2. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    I tried to stick to the OP's questions and answered them in order. Did I do something wrong?
  3. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Won't take anything away from Winston. Great ATH, great stats, controlled the game well. What I will point out, is the noles have been lead by BACK TO BACK 1st round QBs and have one ACC championship to show for it and that came with a home loss to UF. So QB has not been the little injuns problem. I won't even bring up that this Pitt team lost to Youngstown St last year 31-17.

I bet Jones gets 9-12 carries and Brown gets about the same with more carries going to Burton & Showers. I also think Jeff is going to have to pass more as Miami will challenge him and not just let us run on them. They know they can't win that way.

I see this much like fsu game last year ups and downs, but the 4th Q just blows open and our depth shows its value.
  4. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Winston is the truth. Pittsburgh's defense is a joke though.

Getting Jones back is big, but we appear to have several other backs who are more than capable.

I expect a close first 3 quarters with our talent and depth eventually wearing them down and defense forcing timely turnovers.
  5. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Don't you know the AZ is an all-knowing football God.
  6. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    1. Winston lived up to his billing and then some. It will be interesting to see if any team before us can pressure him more than Pitt did. But right now I'm hoping the NFL changes its rules and lets him be drafted after this season.

2. If Jones is 100% I'd guess he'll get about 70% of the carries. If he isn't 100%, which is likely the case, I'd guess he'll get maybe 40%.

3. I think it will be a close game but we cover the spread.
  7. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    1. I think Winston should transfer to UF for football and also graduate with a degree from the University of Florida

2. & 3. Too busy wishing for #1
  8. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    Not sold on Winston after one game against a horrible defense!!!! Lighten up guys!!
  9. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    1. I didn't see the game as it came on at 3AM in Lithuania. That said, I read the boxscore and you can't help but be impressed. I thought he might struggle. I was wrong, VERY wrong.

2. I think it is big. Brown got winded last week so I think having 2 backs in which you feel very confident is a good thing.

3. I think it will be a white-knuckler. Miami was atrocious in their 2 big OOC games last year. I am not sure atrocious even covers how bad they were. However, I think the game will be tough for a variety of reasons and not the least of which is they are playing in Miami. I think noon helps a lot just like it did for A&M last year. On the road at night is what you want to avoid.
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144

-I thought Winston did a very good job last night, but lets face it, Pitt was just that bad. This also isn't the first time we've seen the debut of a nolie QB who shredded his first opponent. I think Winston is going to be a solid QB for fsu in future years, but the nolie nation is also (predictably), going batsh*t crazy over his performance against a very poorly talented Pitt team that couldn't even cover a pass last night. We'll have to see him against some quality teams to know how good he can be, but the main problem there is fsu's strength of schedule, as usual, is comical to say the least. None of us know what our teams really have until they play some real competition. Beating up on pasties tells us nothing. fsu had a full month to prepare against a poorly talented Pitt team and it showed.

Regardless, fsu isn't going to go undefeated this season and once again, they're fans are setting themselves up for disappointment over a beating a very bad opponent. Yeah, we feel all powerful and dominant when we dominate the patsies, whether offensively or defensively, but they're still patsies. All of us fans need to keep it in perspective. We'll know what UF can do once we've played Miami this weekend. We'll know what fsu is made of when they play @ Clemson.

- I think it's important to have him back against Miami simply because of the type of big-play back that he is. Jones can break tackles and blow open a game at any time. Any team would be better if they had a Matt Jones returning to the starting line-up. What helps us most here is that Jones is just another option for a suspect Miami defense to be prepared for, because we all saw that Brown and Showers and Taylor are all viable run-threats from the backfield along with Driskel and Patton too. Most importantly, I would attack the perimeter a lot against Miami and set up our bread and butter ground game, but I would also let the ball fly a little more downfield. I was disappointed that we went into a shell with the passing game in the second half against Toledo last weekend.

-There's no telling because we all know a couple of untimely turnovers can change the entire course of the game. Miami has some good athletes and should not be considered a push-over by any means, but UF has the clear advantage on both LOS, especially on defense, which I think gives the Gators the edge. Turn the ball over a couple of times, and this game's a white-knuckler and we very well could lose. Don't turn it over and UF covers the spread x3. When you have an in-state rivalry like this with a lot of emotions involved, you just never know what's going to happen.
  11. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    1. Winston is obviously good. Get used to hearing a lot about him, he has Heisman potential. But, I think FSU still has the same problems that will likely prevent them from competing for a Title. Namely, they are purely finesse. While our fans complain about our O, I firmly believe that our style of O, with our nasty O-line and true big back attack with Matt Jones, will better position us for a BCS title birth. FSU is flashy, but they simply are not a between the tackles running team, and certainly cannot run the ball when they have to our effectively inside of the 15. Once they run into a team that takes away the run completely, Winston may not seem as effective. But, they may not find a team that can stop their running game until they come to the Swamp.

2. Matt Jones is big for us. He is going to be one of the best backs in the country by the end of the year. I expect a few big plays from him Saturday.

3. I think the Gators will control the majority of the game and eventually pull away towards the middle or end of the 3rd. We are too deep and too physical. Barring a complete mental meltdown I do not think Miami has anything resembling our talent level on the line of scrimmage.
  12. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +270
    1) I am impressed even though Pitt is horrible. I didn't expect him to play THAT well with even that "competition".

2) I think it's important to have him back because he is our #1 guy, obviously. Not only for Miami, but to get him some reps as we move into SEC play.

3) I can't bet with this team, way too unpredictable at times (looking back at last season). However, I do say that we blow those turds out of that toilet!
  13. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    Pitt may be a bad team, but they were 17th in total defense last year (top 25 in just about all defensive categories) and returned 8 or 9 starters. This wasn't necessarily a bad defense they were facing.

What F$U should be concerned about, is that a team that was pretty bad on offense, that only returned 4 starters on offense, moved the ball pretty easily at times. Admittedly I didn't see the second half, so I suppose they could have tightened up on defense. But in the first half, the only thing that was stopping Pitt was themselves, which is something bad offenses usually do.

I tend to think they may get into a lot of shootouts this year, and Clemson is going to EAT that defense up.
  14. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Seriously, Pitt is a horrible team who last year had a decent defense- but those would be good numbers (efficiency wise) against an FCS team- 2 incompletions- that's awesome considering he was throwing 20 yards downfield with regularity.
  15. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Winston looked great. His reads and pocket presence were really impressive for a freshman. He seems to just get it. At the end of the day it's just 1 game, but I would be thrilled if I was a Nole fan.
  16. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    1) very impressed - Pitt's a bad team, but as others have mentioned their defense is better than a lot of people think and Winston made them look terrible. I'm hoping he comes back to earth a bit as the season wears on, but last night he backed up the hype with one hell of a debut performance.

2) If MJ is healthy, I'd like to see him get at least 60% of the carries. Think Showers and Brown split the rest with Showers getting some work at WR, but I would really like to see Joyer utilized more - the kid is a weapon at FB and ought to get 3-5 touches a game.

3) I think this game is going to be close - Miami should be pumped up and the crowd will be rocking, and to be honest I have a hard time seeing our offense putting up a lot of points down there (I would love to be wrong, though). I think we win a nailbiter and get a defensive/special teams TD for the difference.
  17. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Winston was impressive no doubt about that. But Pitt sucks and FSU as a whole is still a 2-3 loss team in the soft ACC. We will crush them again this season.
  18. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    Winston looked great. Hung in the pocket, made nice throws. He will be good. Hope our defense will be better.

We will see tailback by committee. It only makes sense given the depth we have at the position and the heat at 12:00 in Pro Robbie.

I think the game will be close. I hope I am wrong and we blow them out.
  19. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    1. How impressed were you by Florida State freshman quarterback Jameis Winston? Was FSU that good or is Pitt that bad?

Very. He lived up to the hype. The hype bar was set pretty high and he not only lived up to it he raised the stakes some.

I am happy EJ Manuel went in the 1st round and looks good in the NFL, I hope he has a great 10 year career, but EJ Manuel didn't get the job done in key moments as a junior and senior. Winston seems to have the same physical skills as EJ, but is a better passer, and hopefully, will be smarter and tougher mentally. I hope he doesn't get too excited in crunch time. He needs to learn it is a long season and it is best to remain calm in tense moments but regardless of how jacked up he was he played very, very well for a first time D1 starter.

The hills are full of Al Bundy high school super stars who are duds in college. Winston is off to a great start to build a great legacy at FSU. In addition, if he gets hurt, the guy behind him is very good.

2. How important is it for the Gators to get Matt Jones back for the Miami game? Does he get the bulk of the carries or will the Gators split them between Jones, Mack Brown and Valdez Showers?

Very.

Brown is a good back but Jones is a difference maker.

I don't have an opinion on Showers yet.

Jones will get the bulk of the carries.

3. The betting line on Florida-Miami has moved to 4.5 points, which means the Gators would be favored by something like 11 points at home. Because it's on the road, do you think the game is going to be a white knuckler? Or do you think the Gators will easily cover the spread and win this one going away?

UF will be tested.

FSU won big but that doesn't mean the people who said Pitt would win or challenge FSU were wrong. Pitt went ahead 7-0 after converting 2-3 3rd and 9's and 10's on the first drive. Pitt kicks to FSU and the FSU returner gets hit on the arm and drops the ball on the FSU 12. I don't much about football but, while the ball was laying there on the ground, I recall thinking, "darn, this could be a problem." If Pitt had recovered that fumble Pitt would had at least 3 and maybe 7. Lets say they get 7 just for the sake of discussion. Now Pitt is up 14 and no matter how ready FSU and Winston were that would have been a big hole to dig out of and the crowd would have been going nuts. Instead, they left early.

The point is ANY team can get into a dog fight. LOU had the breaks go their way in the Sugar against you guys last year. It happens. I expect UF to be tested.
  20. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    1. Winston is good but that Pitt defensive gameplan was ridiculous. Kid will put up big numbers though with his talent and that conference.

2. Matt will get the majority of the carries and is about to have a big game.

3. We will run them over and win by 14