Questions of the day: Winston, Jones, UF-UM

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ufla5220, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. How impressed were you by Florida State freshman quarterback Jameis Winston? Was FSU that good or is Pitt that bad?

2. How important is it for the Gators to get Matt Jones back for the Miami game? Does he get the bulk of the carries or will the Gators split them between Jones, Mack Brown and Valdez Showers?

3. The betting line on Florida-Miami has moved to 4.5 points, which means the Gators would be favored by something like 11 points at home. Because it's on the road, do you think the game is going to be a white knuckler? Or do you think the Gators will easily cover the spread and win this one going away?
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I expected Winston to do what he did vs Pitt.

2 He is very important if there is no chance of a relapse he get as many carries as he can take

3 I dont know
  3. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    1. That is an impressive performance no matter who it is against.

2. He will be needed and will probably be the lead back in a 2-back system for Saturday.

3. I think this game will be close.
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,769
    Kids good, that was impressive even if Pitt is awful

Matt jones is fine, he will get 20 carries is my guess

Close, but I would not be surprised if we maul them.
  5. medigator

medigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,879
    1 There are high school teams in So Fla that would have beaten Pitt tonite but Winston is the real deal . It will be interesting to see how he plays against real competition !

2 RB by committee imo

3 closer game than I would like but Gator win !
  6. G8RLegist

G8RLegist Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    1. Yes and yes.
    2. He'll carry it as much as he physically can.
    3. It will be a close game. I think almost all of our games will be close. That's just who we are.
  7. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    1. Jameis Winston was extremely impressive. Five TDs (4 passing) and he connected on 25 out of 27. More important he LOOKED confident back there. This kid is much better than Ponder or Manuel (both of whom I thought sucked -- and couldn't understand the first round selections of either one of them. I also can't understand why people take either one of those guys in fantasy football drafts either but that's another story). But yeah, this kid is good and if he's as good as he seems to be thus far, the nolies will rise to prominence. When you have a Heisman level QB, especially at a program like FSU, you will win lots of games.

2. Matt Jones is the stud of the offense so obviously he'll get lots of carries. Would not be thrilled to see him sharing the rock with Showers and Brown, IMO, those two are just nowhere near the level that Jones is. Jones is an All-SEC caliber back, IMO of course. I look for at least 18 carries for Jones.

3. It's impossible to tell and anyone that thinks they know is just trying to come across as a "know-it-all." We've only played one game and quite frankly we don't know much about how either team improved themselves over the offseason. The Canes have some explosive players on offense and figure to put up some points this season. We knew that coming in, and we also knew that the Gators would have a serious defense. Still don't know much about Miami's D or Florida's O. If this game was at BHG, sure, UF by 14-17. With it being in Broward county, it's honestly just hard to say. If you held a gun to my head, I'd say Gators by 7-10.
  8. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Yeah, everybody expects freshman QBs to go 25/27 and 4 TDs passing, 1 rushing on primetime ABC coverage against a conference opponent. :roll:
  9. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,414
    ACC.

How many top quality defenses will he play this year?
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I didnt say everybody I said I did. I have been saying this kid is special for a long time. I also like the talent on FSU's offense and I dont think much of Pitt.
  11. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    I was impressed with Winston, mainly because he's a rsFR in his first start. However, I was more uncomfortably impressed with how his WRs were breaking wide open most of that game. It looked like a carbon copy of their game against Clemson last year (when they were on offense). Thankfully, we know how the regular season finale ended last year.

As far as the second two questions, I really don't have an answer for either beyond I guess wait and see.
  12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,768
    Winston is very special, he will have a great freshman year, but thanks to Johnny Manziel there is no way he will win the Heisman Trophy. (And Manziel won't either.)
  13. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    1 winston---very impressive---good arm, sees the field, can make some tough throws...
    2 jones---he will be needed to wear down miami's D, but he will split some carries since he will still be a little out of shape playing in that heat at noon
    3 fla wins by 6-10
  14. Gators15

Gators15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    1. I agree with several ones here that JW is indeed special. We will find out more as the season reveals.

2. I would say that we don't need Matt Jones this bad for the Miami game since we do have 3 great rushers beside MJ so if he needs more time to heal, be it. I don't worry about our rushing part so should ya all... to add along; I really think this rb corp could be the best rb group in years.

3. Couldn't say it yet but we will find out, don't we?
  15. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Only saw 1 replay in which Pitt had NO pass rush, Winston under threw a WIIIIDE Open WR for an easy TD. Had the WR been covered, it would have batted or INT. That said, tat % and yards was impressive.
  16. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    1. Winston had a very good game. ONE GAME against a very mediocre to bad team. Relax, do not overreact. He has a long way to go. Peyton Manning was one of the best QBs and how many times did he beat the Gators? Everything is going to be ok. Don't overreact to 1 week of play.

2. Matt Jones back is very big but I think we will have lot of guys contribute at the position with Jones getting the majority of the carries. It will be a hot, humid day and we will need everyone. The biggest key, like every game is protect the football.

3. I think Florida wins by 10+ points. This team has been road tested and battle tested last year and many of the same players are around this year. Miami always has the preseason hype of "We're back" and a thud usually occurs within the first few weeks. I expect a big THUD on Saturday.
  17. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    j winston did it in Pittsburgh on the road. He looked comfortable and had fun doing it. Now look at our sidelines during a game. He is a good QB, don't know if Pittsburgh will win many games. FSU plays Clemson in Clemson and they play Miami, the rest of their schedule is getting ready for the Gators. If he doesn't get hurt, we will see him in the swamp. He is bigger than I thought. 6'4" 227 lbs, pretty good speed and accurate on passes. Impressive and the nation is looking on FSU favorable now.
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,371
    This is unfortunate. What if Winston is an exceptionally mature and grounded young man who deserves the award more than anyone else after only one bad performance all year (I'm hoping). You could take someone like Tim or Danny or Charlie Ward and give them the trophy as freshmen and they would do nothing to embarrass anybody.
  19. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I think it's going to be a better game than you think.
  20. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Winston is a phenomenon.

Matt Jones will share carries and will not be pushed.

Miami is better than UF fans allow. However, our D is nasty good and will allow us to cover the spread.