Questions of the day: Tournaments, UF-FSU, recruiting

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. The Gators have been playing in tournaments that allow two or three home games in November. Do you like this or would you rather UF play in Hawaii or The Bahamas or Puerto Rico to start the season?

2. Florida and Florida State used to play home and home but now they play only once a year. Does the game mean more playing only once a year or would you like to see it go back to home and home?

3. Would you like to see Billy Donovan concentrate 90% of his recruiting on Florida, Georgia and the southeast?
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,864
    I seem to remember the last time we played in a tournament outside of our region there was consternation from the staff. We played Kansas in Vegas, Kansas fans snapped up all the tickets, Foley didn't send a pep band or Albert and we lost (it was either FSU or SEC championship weekend). I think we were told that we would focus east coast and it would be hard to blame them. But a Maui or San Juan trip every four years would be a great bonding and learning experience for the team and good national exposure, since all those games are televised.

Two games a year should be reserved for conference foes.

Billy has done well enough with recruiting (an understatement for sure), that he doesn't need my advice on hot to succeed. Whatever he thinks works for me. But without going out of our region we would not have gotten Mike Miller, Tyus, Lee, Beal, Murphy, Bonner, Walker, Noah, Roberson, Walsh and Brett Nelson off the top of my head.
  3. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    1) I like the games at Florida against good teams early in the season.

2) One rotating game against FSU is sufficient.

3) Billy should recruit all over the country with Florida being most important. Otherwise, he would have never gotten Miller, Beal and Noah to name a few.
  4. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    1) It would be cool to see them in Maui for that tournament.

2) One game a season is good enough.

3) No, he should recruit nationwide.
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    1. Any tournament. Maybe every couple of years, it'd be good to take the team on a faraway tournament.
    2. Once a year. Nolies don't deserve more.
    3. No limits, no percentages. BD already makes Florida his home turf for recruiting. Going to the far west, however, doesn't seem to work out well for us.
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,217
    1) I was at the game. . . . and sent in email to Jeremy soon after.
    Part of the debacle did fall on the shoulders of the UAA, as minimal marketing effort was made, and yes. . . even subtle things such as not sending the band, did convey a very weak message. But the real issue with tourneys outside the region is that we have a fan base that does not travel well for basketball. As much as I would love venues such as Maui, I do not think it would capture many travelling gator fans.
    So, I think the current strategy is best.

2) Wow. . . I do not remember the days of home/home with FSU. Preceding the current set-up, we typically faced FSU in a neutral site for the "Milk Challenge". Franz, how far back did we last do a home/home with FSU? Regardless, I am fine with the current set up. I cant imagine scheduling an ooc opponent twice in the same season. I am amazed we did it.

3) nationwide. global.
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +450
    Most recently:

Dec. 18, 1993/Feb. 21, 1994

Dec. 17, 1994/Feb. 20, 1995

but not true home and home. One game was neutral each year.

Way back:

Nov. 30, 1984/Feb. 4, 1985

for a true home and home.
  8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,217
    thanks!

yeah--- im guessing those '93-'94 dates were doing the milk challenge days.

and in '84 ---I was an Iona fan, so no wonder I did not recall! :)
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,172
    1. I like it the way it is

2. Keep it once a year

3. No way. Must recruit nationally
  10. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    1. I am ok with these "tourneys" that UF plays in. Also the other tourneys in exotic locals do not have much interest in UF. For one thing Florida is an exotic local. Maui is nice and I took my wife their a year ago, but going to Maui from the Gulf or Atlantic coasts is not the same as going to Maui from Louisville or Minnesota. Now if the Great Alaska Shootout still existed that might be an interesting local to go play.

2. I am like playing more teams out of conference rather than one twice. However, I have always thought a Florida Four like the old BIg Four in NC might help interest in basketball in Florida.

3. I am very happy with recruiting. I think you go get the best players that are interested in your program where ever they are.
  11. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +479
    1) I like the tournaments in one off-campus local. Chance to play better opponents. There are more and more of these closer to Gainesville (Bahamas, Orlando, Puerto Rico to name a few). The tournament (not really a bracketed tourney) with the 3 home games in Gainesville are all creampuffs followed by a "neutral" site game someplace against 1 quality opponent.

2) 1 game against FSU is fine

3) Recruit nationwide.