Questions of the day topics: Scheduling, Amanda Butler

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. A few years ago, some coaches proposed a radical change for college basketball, calling for the sport to change from its current two-semester format to one in which the season begins after the end of the fall semester in December. From an academics standpoint, this would be a far better situation for the athletes. Do you think that maybe it’s time to consider a proposal like this seriously?

2. If you could schedule a home and home with any team in the country outside the SEC, who would you want to see the Gators play?

3. The Florida women’s team has never won an SEC championship and in the five seasons under current coach Amanda Butler, the Gators have made it to the NCAA Tournament twice while settling for the Women’s NIT three times. Do you think Butler will feel the heat if she doesn’t make the NCAA Tournament this year? Given Jeremy Foley’s belief that all UF programs should be able to compete for SEC titles, at what point does Butler become a liability?
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    1. No, basketball is a nice winter sport. I see no reason to change it. Also for the non-football schools basketball give them something to rally around in the both semesters. [BTW, football is likely already being to fade as baseball did in the past. Basketball may become the sport in the future.]

2. KU was nice this year. IU might be nice in the future.

3. Since Foley foolishly ran off Carol Ross, this program that was building has been floundering. The transfer problems in the off season do add to the pressure on Butler in my view.
  3. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    1 Possibly
    2 Louisville
    3 Butler is a short timer
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +658
    1. Makes sense, but I can't wait until January for basketball to start. I just can't.
    2. First, I need to ask the wife hypothetically if I could go to one road game a year by myself. If I get that okayed, my answer is "Hawaii."
    3. Jeremy is the boss and has high expectations, but let's get real. Of all sports at UF, women's basketball is easily the toughest to get to the top in, because the SEC is by far the strongest conference in the sport. Jeremy needs to have a very long commitment in this situation. I believe we're seeing progress, and as long as we are, Amanda needs to be safe in the job.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678
    1. No. Players can load up in the summer if the schools are that concerned.

2. Louisville, just like 33hoop said. No question in my mind.
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +796
    There have been some good discussions re Butler on the Lady sports board. I think the majority are cautiously optimistic that the team "somewhat" turns the corner this year. Her tenure has been marked by injuries (not her fault) and big transfer numbers( at least partially her fault). If they an get some continuity then the talent level seems to be on the upswing.
    But the clock is most certainly ticking, and either this year or the following season are going to make or break her. IMO she has to make the NCAA's at a bare minimum this year.
  7. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    To turn the program around you need to go after the best players in the State of Florida and get them to buy in then you add a couple from outside Florida. Billy D did that to jump start his program with the Miami High connection as the core and then adding a Miller, Harvey or Nelson. Even Miami football did that to get going with Schnellenberger. LSU took one of the best players ever from Florida in Sylvia Fowles and she could have been that difference maker for Florida (pre Butler's time I know). Try to get the best 3-5 players in Florida should be our recruiting goal.
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678
    Ufla5220 - these question threads are a good idea and I may post questions like these on another board because of how well they have gone over on this one. I'm not assuming you'll care, just wanting to go on record as to not appear as if I'm trying to, disingenuously, spin this into my own thing on another forum.
  9. unfgator

unfgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    For the home and home my vote would be one of the following: Michigan/OSU/UCLA
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    1. <joke>According to the Olympics BB is a summer sport. Maybe we should play it all year round!</joke>

2. At one time we had a regular home and home with U Texas both in men's BB and ladies VB. Both were very competitive and I thought we had a great chance at developing a natural OOC rival in multiple sports. We even play them on occasion in baseball OOC. And UT is traditionally great at swimming. They are the one school that I can think of (other than the 'Noles) that are a very natural OOC rival that could be developed into something big and mutually beneficial.

3. Butler is doing fine building things up. I think they finally found the right person and I hope JF doesn't demand too much too soon.

And the one thing that they have over the 'Noles is that they are a pretty good school academically.
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,201
    1) I can't make a logical argument against it... Other than I want to watch basketball!

2) duke

3) I gotta be honest... I don't each nearly enough women's basketball to provide an opinion.
  12. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    This will be her 7th season at UF.
  13. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    1. It could work pushing the start of the season back until then. I mean I don't really pay much attention to the sport anyway until December anyway due to football season.

2. Indiana, Texas, Duke, Louisville, and Michigan

3. I think this season is her make or break year. It will be her 7th season at UF, and some sort of on-court progress should be seen. I think it is NCAA tournament or bust for her this season.
  14. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Not a problem.
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    Time flies. It seemed like a shorter time.

I guess that it is time to be making serious progress.
  16. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    1) ??? No.
    2) Duke or NC
    3) If Gator fans cared, she'd be gone already (yawn)
  17. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +478
    1) I don't think it needs to be moved after the fall semester. I would be in favor of starting the season during Thanksgiving weekend

2) Indiana

3) I'm no fan of Butler or her staff. Wish she was already gone. This season should be her last barring a miracle and a Sweet 16 appearance.