Questions of the day: Schedules, road trips, renovation

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. Do you like the way the SEC is scheduling basketball now, or do you think it was better when there were two divisions and the Gators played every team in the East home and home then home and home with the teams in the West on alternating years?

2. Other than Rupp Arena since that is such a unique and large arena, what is the one place you hate to see the Gators go on the road in the SEC?

3. If you could be in charge of renovating the O-Dome, what are some of the changes that you would make?
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. I am at a loss on this one. I liked the divisions for 12 teams with 16 games. I guess with 14 teams home and home with the football east for 12 games and 7 games against the football west, for 19 games would be ok. That might be too many conference games and of course the east teams facing UF, UK, UMo and UTn home and home will have really tough schedules in this era.

2. Really even with Rupp it is a matter of how good the team that plays at these arenas are not the arenas. MSU was at one time tough, but not when the teams got worse.

3. UF probably needs a new arena for basketball not a renovation.
  3. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    1. I'm happy with one division, especially when it comes to the conference tourney seeding.

2. Hate watching at Vandy. Hate playing at Rocky Top.
  4. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    1. I liked the predictability of the old schedule, but understand it isn't feasible with 14 teams.

2. Tennessee

3. I think the O-Dome is fine. It's been renovated a lot...next move would be a rebuild.
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    O-Dome is not just a basketball facility. Multi-purpose facility. Very old. Not like the State of Kentucky or city of Lexington simply giving UK a basketball facility. Gators are at a disadvantage versus other teams in larger cities from that perspective.
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    liked the old schedule w/ the divisions. thought, when a conf gets bigger that is one reason for divisions. then set up a playoff to determine the ultimate winner.

Tennessee. vandy's funky venue too is disconcerting.

I think we get a lot of bang out of the 0'dome. i'd do something special at the entrance. make that grander. have the gator hoops museum and a nice outdoor plaza. modernize that front entry experience.

I think the plan is to drop the indoor track and relocate that to a new facility. right? put in some luxury boxes too?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    1. either is fine with me

2. Tenn

3. Not sure but maybe strictly basketball. Switch side with the RRs
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    1. Not made up my mind yet on the new format.
    2. Vandy.
    3. Approach the O-Dome with a new perspective, not limited to that building. Treat the site, the street, and the football stadium as one. Redesign the street as a part-time street, part-time curbless plaza for events, and treat it as a downtown street, lined with shops, restaurants, and yes, bars. Living space above the shops, parking behind. Make it a place people want to be regardless of events and time of year.
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    1. Too many teams in the conference because of football. I really liked the old round-robin format playing everyone home-and-home, but those days are long gone.

2. Barnhill.

3. I am afraid that if there is a replacement for the O'Dome it will not be as close to the action as it is now. Before they redid the endline seats I used to walk on the floor to get to where I had seats. Can't do that now.
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,259
    Sounds good. UF should think big and bold in everything they do IMHO.
  11. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    1. I guess it is cool how it is now since we have 14 teams. The divisions would be too unbalanced, because the East is really packing a lot of power now.

2. Thompson-Boiling Arena for sure. We just can't seem to win there.

3. I would just tear it down and build a new facility.
  12. BLING

BLING Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    1) I liked 2 divisions better.

2) Vandy

3) No idea. Definitely either a total new arena, or a 100% gut rebuild of the O'Dome on the same site. Hopefully whatever they do keeps an intimate atmosphere like the O'Dome, but also a much more modern and nicer looking facility. It doesn't need to be extravegant, or any bigger, I do hope it has some "character" though (whatever that means:grin:). I don't know about it having "shops", but it would be cool if it shifted a little bit towards University Avenue (where parking is now) and on the street there was a dining facility and maybe Gator Basketball related entrance and signage that was visible from the street. That would give it a more urban look. Then on the opposite side you can build a bigger parking garage than exists now and revamp the parking situation.
  13. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Now you're talking!!:yes:
    • Like Like x 1