Questions of the day: Polls, Hurricanes, Gators

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ufla5220, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. The polls won’t come out until Tuesday, but neither FSU or Pitt will be in the top ten. What would be your top ten after one week of college football?

2. It has been 12 years since the last time Miami won a national championship. Do you think the Hurricanes will ever be a major player on the national scene again or has their window of opportunity closed?

3. Now that you’ve had a chance to rehash what happened Saturday, are you satisfied with Florida’s 24-6 win over Toledo? Do you think Muschamp shut it down in the second half or do you think what we saw is what we are going to get offensively the rest of the year?
  2. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +311
    1. Alabama
    2. Ohio St
    3. Clemson
    4. South Carolina
    5. Oregon
    6. Stanford
    7. Texas
    8. Texas A&M
    9. Florida
    10. Georgia

Miami has too many things going against them (stadium, conference, fan attendance) to ever be a major player again. They're done.

We are Georgia Tech without the option. It is time we accept that. i can't believe some people are buying that "Toledo tempo, blah blah blah, people suspended so we would not have depth" bs. You could say that line every game of every season. We are a conservative football team. I guess it is winning games so I shouldn't complain about it. However Muschamp has lost at least one game he shouldn't have each year he has been here. You aren't going to win all the close ones.
  3. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,084
    1) Bama
    2) Oregon
    3) Clemson
    4) Ohio State
    5) South Carolina
    6) Stanford
    7) Florida
    8) Texas A&M
    9) Oklahoma State
    0) LSU

2) They're done...The ACC is killing them. Too many better programs & conferences.

3) Unsatisfied. With the lead, we employed a ball-control strategy to eat clock (smart).
    But this game was probably not indicative of our full potential with several key players out.
  4. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    1. Well, having a top 10 or top 25 at this point of the season is a joke in and of itself. So I wouldn't have a top 10. Not a good idea and it's something that college football (and basketball) should look into getting rid of. Why are we ranking teams in the preseason and why are even ranking them after just one game, many of which were mismatches? There are a handful of teams that did look impressive though: South Carolina, Clemson, Washington, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida. I'm not too eager to be so impressed by the Gators but I did like what I saw Saturday afternoon. I just think we're going to learn a lot more from the Miami game than from the Toledo game.

2. Is this a real question? Of course the Canes will be back. South Florida produces an abundance of freakish football players. If they can ever get out of their own way (NCAA troubles) and possibly get a dedicated stadium, then they will be back sooner than later. Even without the stadium, they'll be back. They've been successful with a number of head coaches since they became prominent with Howard Schnellenberger -- this is clearly not a case of "right coach right time" with them. Howard, Johnson, Erickson, Davis, even Coker steered the ship right for a little bit. The Randy Shannon hire was a terrible one and they are at where they are because of him.

3. I'll tell you after I see some more football. This is the problem these days, people get too up and down after one damn game. This board could do well by chlling out and getting ready for Miami instead of posting all this nonsense about the offense -- be patient. And I'm the one with ADHD.
  5. Canes0177

Canes0177 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Nonsense.

All of these things were worse in 1979.

USC was a private school playing in a dump in front of half empty stadium in 2001. Three years later they were the best team in college football.
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,084
    And 34 years later, you're still playing in a half-empty stadium.
    But you drive half-way across town to someone else's dump.
  7. gatornib

gatornib Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Q3. I think we're going to have a great defense--possibly better than last year's. The offense makes me really nervous though. Even as great as UF's defense is, there will be games where we'll need to score 21-28 points against good defenses. We may be able to do that every once in a while, but not consistently. Showers looks like a fun player, and Matt Jones and Mack Brown both could be beasts all season long.

It was easier psychologically to be a fan of UF's offense when Spurrier was here. With Spurrier's approach, the team could make a lot of mistakes and still be successful. But with Muschamp's offense, the team can be perfect almost all the time, then one false start penalty kills the whole drive. So 95% of the time, your team ran a successful play. But you don't have so many points to show for it.

With the tremendous RBs we have, I don't like how many plays Jeff Driskel is asked to run the ball. I think he's gonna get hurt again this year, and I don't have faith in our backup QB. Driskel fumbling twice against a poor defense like Toledo isn't a good sign. I won't be surprised if we have a game against a really good team where we turn the ball over 6 times again, especially if we fall behind early.

I think we'll have a solid year this year. Maybe we'll even get to Atlanta--that's my hope. I just don't want to see UGA in Atlanta--either us or Steve.
  8. 1984Gator

1984Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    College football has changed quite substantially since Miami almost shut down its program last time and even the days of USC cheating its way back to relevance was long ago.

Miami without a stadium is bad news. In 1979, Miami did kind of have a stadium, they played at the Orange Bowl which was a reasonable drive and drew a substantial ghetto crowd. That stadium is now in another county.

Miami can't afford to play with the big boys anymore. Attendance has always been paltry because Miami is a small private school. Football today can be very expensive. What does Saban make? Meyer? Muschamp? Miami took a bargain basement coach and they got what they paid for. The "O" is good against bad teams and the "D" is nonexistent. There is talent down there in South Florida but its been a very long time since Miami was relevant. Kids coming up don't remember that. All they know is that Miami gives tickets away and still put 300 people in the seats for a crappy game. PS, with the records Miami has been churning out, most games are crappy for them. Miami might have a couple good years if some talent stays home but increasingly Miami can not afford to play the modern game.
  9. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Sure the game day atmosphere is much better when it's a packed house; sorta like a busy club or a packed concert -- the excitement is palpable. However, I must ask, what does it matter in terms of winning and losing games? When the Canes ARE good, they do fans in the stands, especially for the big games. Never understood why people get into this war of attendance. It's silly. You ever wonder why the SEC fills up stadiums like no other conference? Look at the states that these schools are in! There's nothing to do but watch football! It must suck to live in some of these places. I can't imagine growing up in a town like Birmingham; what else do you have to look forward to? Miami and South Florida as a whole is a world-class destination that hasn't had the long-time sports culture that other extremely large metropolises have so of course their attendance is going to be relatively poor.
  10. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    All of these things were true when they hired Butch Davis as they were coming off probation. The area is a recruiting hot bed, possibly the best in the country. A lot of these prospects are from "the hood" and frankly that sort of recruit isn't as enamored with the whole college football experience that other recruits might be. In other words, the poor attendance really doesn't matter. Most of their big recruiting weekends are scheduled for the couple of games where they will get decent attendance anyways.
  11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,084
    Is someone asking me to apologize now for raising Cane on Gator Country? :huh:
  12. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    1. Alabama
    2. Oregon
    3. OSU (until exposed)
    4. Clemson (until exposed)
    5. South Carolina (until they expose themselves)
    6. Florida
    7. Texas A&M (until Johnny Football is benched)
    8. Stanford (until they stumble over their own feet)
    8. Georgia
    7. Texas

UF vs Alabam in SECCG. Winner is anyone's guess.
    Winner plays Oregon in BCS championship

Kirk Herbsteit says Gators lucked out, and Driskel is not NFL material.
    Urban Meyers says he was hampered because he only recruits high character athletes, and tucks them into bed at night.
    Mark Richt says, "just wait". Alumni says "we are sick of you" .
    Steve Spurrier says "it's time for the Ole Ball Coach to ride into the sunset".
    Chip Kelley says "ten hail Marys".
    Oregon's "no name coach" says "damn they play rough in the SEC. There should be a law"
    Champ says, "Yep".
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    the thing about Miami is there's FIU and FAU that are now siphoning off resources that would have gone to UM in the past. most cane fans, if they went to college, went to FIU (or Miami-Dade), etc.

1. bama, 2. Oregon. 3. Clemson, 4. ohio state 5. tex a&m 6. USCe 7. Stanford 8. LSU 9.UGA 10. UF

Run-oriented, low risk offense is the Champ way. seems we do have a rather interesting set of run blocking schemes. i'm guessing too, we could lull a defense into blowing an assignment on a vertical/two-move play action pass.
  14. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    1. Alabama
    2. Oregon
    3. Stanford
    4. Clemson
    5. Texas A&M
    6. Ohio St.
    7. South Carolina
    8. Texas
    9. Florida
    10. Georgia

It seems hard to imagine Miami being done for when there's hardly a better place to be for recruiting.

Muschamp seems to care more about winning his way than winning, and his talk about winning in the trenches and needing to hit people in the mouth being 'how you win in the SEC' is going to get old fast if he does not also realize you win by scoring more points than the other team.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,780
    It's too early for a top 10.

I wouldn't count out Miami. When they get past this NCAA thing and get the right coach, they can come back.

I think our offense is still evolving. As we get more experienced playmakers, we'll start making more big plays. Even though we started the second half flat, we'd probably feel much better about this game and our offense if Patton's two big plays get made... he makes the catch, and a questionable holding call is not made to bring back his TD.
  16. GatorBait19

GatorBait19 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Agreed
  17. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    Too early for a top 10. I think Bama is overrated at 1. I don't buy A&M with that terrible D. LSU was very impressive in my opinion. Better than I expected. Clemson will be undefeated until the USCe game in my opinion. UF is still a team no one wants to play but they will also be a team that could lose a game they have no business losing. Legitimate D and questionable O.

I think Miami will be back. I don't every expect '80s dominance but they will get the right coach. The problem for Miami is being able to stay there. I don't envision Miami staying in the top 10 for extended periods because they simply don't have the financial backing. They will have 5-10 year runs of excellence followed by a lot of mediocrity in my opinion.

I think UF's O is what it is. I don't think Muschamp shut it down because I don't think Muschamp ever opened it up. I expect vanilla, safe O and nasty, aggressive D.
  18. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    1. Alabama
    2. USCe
    3. Florida
    4. aTm
    5. LSU
    6. Clemson
    7. Oregon
    8. Stanford
    9. tOSU
    10. Michigan

2. No the landscape of the game has changed too much. Miami will not be a national player again.

3. I thought we looked go for week1. We are stacked with tremendous players on the O and Dlines. We have a real chance to play in Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  19. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,035
    1. Bama
    2. Oregon
    3. Clempson
    4. LSU
    5. South Carolina
    6. Ohio State
    7. Michigan
    8. Stanford
    9. Louisville
    10. UF

2. Tough call. College football has become such and arms race. Don't think UM has the resources to compete.

3. I was feeling great at halftime. Got concerned with the offense in the second half. Looks like the defense will have to carry the team again this year. Good news is that they don't appear to have missed a beat! The Miami game will be key to how the season goes.
  20. Morey

Morey New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0

This