Questions of the day: Overtime, tempo, Gators

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ufla5220, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    1. Fresno State beat Rutgers, 52-51, Thursday night when the Rutgers coach elected to go for two at the end of the first overtime rather than kick an extra point to tie the game. Under overtime rules, you don’t have to go for two until the third overtime. Put yourself in the shoes of Rutgers coach Kyle Flood: would you also have gone for two or would you have kicked the extra point and moved on to the second overtime?

2. North Carolina is the latest team to adapt the fast tempo, no huddle offense that has been made famous by Oregon and Oklahoma. Do you see this as the coming trend in college football or is it just a passing fad? Would you like to see the Gators go to a fast tempo offense?

3. What will you consider a satisfactory opener for the Gators today? An offensive explosion or simply a solid win with no turnovers and a strong defensive performance? Would you consider a sloppy win a disaster?
  2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,260
    1. No. It's dumb to go for 2 before you have to. You might get away with it, but it's still dumb.

2. It's annoying, so I'd say it's the coming trend. No, I don't want to see it here. As long as Muschamp's our coach, our offense needs to be methodical and chew up clock to let the defense rest.

3. As long as they win, I'm OK with it. I gave up on gauging a season by an opening blowout long ago.
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,115
    3. Just win.
  4. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    There are a lot of factors that may go into a coaches decision about whether to go for a 2 pt conversion. I didn't see the game in question so I'm not engaging in Friday morning quarterbacking...just reviewing the dynamics that might lead a coach to "go for it"!

Has there been a trend late in the game?

Has one team been more successful on offense in the 4th quarter...did one team seem to find it's rhythm and get on a roll? If you aren't that team, you might want to go for two rather than play another full round of overtime. Both NFL and NCAA two point success rate is about 40%. If you think the other team has better than a 50/50 chance of winning the next round, match those odds and try to win it now.

Are you on the road?

Another challenge in a close game. Home field advantage matters in terms of the crowd noise distracting the offense along with the boost in motivation of the home team. Again, not a bad choice to take the chance to get the win and go home rather than hoping you can keep matching the home team in each additional round of an overtime.

Is your team gassed?

We see games where one team seems better conditioned, or has superior depth than the other. If your team's stamina is failing, go for 2.

Suffered any key injuries?

Is one of your most reliable playmakers or team leaders out of the game? Go for it!!

Did your film study find a "sure fire" 2 pt play for this opponent?''

When studying game film of your opponent and building your game plan, sometimes you identify a weakness that you really believe you can exploit. Or you know you have a play that will succeed in a certain field position based your opponent's defensive tendencies. If you believe you have an especially good two point play for this opponent, one that raises your odds to 60 or 70 percent, that might guide your decision not to kick.

Just wanted to make the "point" that it isn't necessarily cut and dried that the best decision is to kick and extend.
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,387
    1) I believe Rutgers was on the road. What the heck . . . go for the win. Had they made it (of course depends upon the nature of the game at the LOS), the coach would have been genius/legend in making.
    2) Fad and I only like the aspect of getting to the LOS with the opportunity to consult with the coaches and get new signals. I say FAD for a couple of reasons: a) you can only keep your best athletes so fresh and b) offensive trends are cyclical.
    3) Offensive explosion against Toledo does not mean much. Their defense is not their strength. The mark of success will be a disciplined win with few mistakes. A sloppy win would not be disaster, but could be indicative of things to come. If the defense is sloppy, there is more reason to believe imo that they will tighten up. If the offense is sloppy, there will be precedent for fans to be concerned about offensive production against coming SEC opponents.