Questions of the day: Norm Sloan, Brad Stevens, recruits

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 31, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. When Norm Sloan left Florida the first time (after the 1966 season), the Gators were on the verge of great things. Tommy Bartlett inherited the tallest team in the nation and took it to a 21-4 record, the first 20-win season in Florida history. When he came back, Sloan rebuilt the program and won the first SEC title in school history. Do you think Sloan is given enough credit for what he did to lay a foundation for Florida basketball?

2. Brad Stevens shocked everybody by bolting to the NBA Boston Celtics during the summer. Butler has had a nice 15-year run, but will it take a step backward now that Stevens is gone? And how about Stevens? Is he in over his head in the NBA?

3. Of all the players Billy Donovan has recruited in the last 17 years, which one shocked you the most with the way he turned out? Which recruit was the biggest disappointment?
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    1. I don't think Sloan gets enough credit at UF or NCSU. He got NCSU their first national title and the team that got hot for Valvano in 1983 was all Sloan's players. Sloan certainly set the table for Donovan's success at UF and was really the only good coach NCSU has had in modern times.

2. You might take a step back any time there is a coaching change. Could happen with Butler this time, but they have been pretty lucky with hires recently. Of course Miami football had a run through 4 coach each one pretty good, but eventually they hit a rough spot. That is what is bound to happen if you have turnover.

3. Who could have predicted that Lee Humphrey would be lead UF in scoring in the final four over a two year period that UF won two NCAA tourneys. As for disappointing, I have never seen a player like Brett Nelson. He came in each season progressed as the season went by, then in the off season played on the play ground and apparently forgot every thing he had learned during the season. For four straight years he seemed to be back to his beginning of his frosh year form and had to learn everything all over again.
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    1. Sloan was pretty successful, but I don't think that he really had that much to do with the current success of the program. Could someone like BD have stepped in right after Sloan was fired? I say "No". Within the first week he would have suspended half the team. I think that Kruger help a lot in doing a reset on the attitude in the program where it is team first and run cleanly. Without that we wouldn't be where we are today.

2. Butler's program will continue to be good, but maybe not as superlative as in recent years. I would expect them to be like Gonzaga.

3. Biggest surprise: Chandler Parsons. He developed into a much better player than I thought he could be. Second Place: Joakim Noah. He looked totally lost on the court as a Freshman and was outstanding by the end of his soph year.

Biggest diasappointment: Christian Drejer or Ryan Appleby
  4. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    1. Considering Sloan was the first full-time Gator basketball coach, it's pretty impressive what he did. However, not saying it's all his fault, but both UF and NCSU got in trouble with the NCAA during his reign. At the end, he had lost control of his players at UF. I think he deserves credit like Charlie Pell does in football. Both were instrumental in building a foundation, but both took/allowed shortcuts that embarrassed the program.

2. Good questions on Stevens. I think Butler will be OK. Maybe not to the point of the Final Four success Stevens had, but still competitive. I think it'll take some time for him to learn how to coach in the NBA.

3. I agree with Lurker on Parsons. He's the first one that came to mind. I don't follow guys' high school careers as much as many here, but I assumed he was an add-on to getting Calathes. I never would have expected him to end up a better player at UF than Calathes. As for disappointments, I'll go with the one that never showed.....Kwame Brown. I was so excited seeing him, Lee & White in the AA game. I still wonder how different things might have been for Kwame if he had played a year under Billy.
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    1) I was not a gator fan back then, but based upon what I know. . . I would have to think his value is a bit understated in Florida basketball history.

2) yup. . . They will take a step back. I think Stevens was arguably the best tactical coach in the college game. That is virtually irreplaceable. I think he will do very well at the next level.

3) Matt Bonner is most surprising to me. When I first watched him, I was not sure he would compete for significant minutes... Let alone become all time gator great and nba mainstay. Dreamer has to be the biggest disappointment.
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    1. Stormin' Norman was a good basketball coach but a bit of a crook as well. He did some good things for the program, but he's not worthy of canonization.
    2. I don't blame Brad Stevens for jumping to the Celtics. It's a dream job. I'm just curious as to why the Celtics wanted HIM. Most NBA franchises believe good college coaches don't make good NBA coaches.
    3. Not sure who surprised me with good play the most, because I firmly believe you should never write off a freshman for bad play. Most of 'em suck as freshmen. The biggest disappointment was Christian Drejer, by a long shot. Still can't believe he bolted in midseason to play in some Euro-trash league.
  7. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    1. I have no idea, I wasn't born during that time period. lol

2. I think Butler will still be decent, but their new league has some heavy-hitters in it, so I don't look for them to be perennial tournament participants.

3. Most Surprising: Chandler Parsons.

Most Disappointing: Dan Werner. I don't think any explanations are needed.
  8. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Sloan was a great recruiter who elevated both Florida and NCState. Maxwell and Moten along with a lot of other good players got us to the sweet sixteen when that was quite an accomplishment. His problems came from competing for great players. In the Carolinas you got NC who has no morals, Duke who has all the AAU coaches in their speed dials, Sloan learned early on it took more than just a commitment to sign these top players. So if it makes you feel better beat him up. This is what got teams like NC, Duke and Kentucky to the top, to compete is against the rules, well yea! It's still a mockery on Tobacco Road and Sloan is gone.

Brad Stevens will have his hands full with a star depleted cast. Good Luck Brad.