Questions of the day: FSU-Miami, Georgia, trusting the kicker

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ufla5220, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    1. Back in 1991, both Florida State and Miami passed on a chance to join the Southeastern Conference. FSU joined the ACC and Miami joined the Big East. In retrospect, do you think they regret that they didn’t take Roy Kramer up on the invitation to join the SEC?

2. Georgia has a chance to go 0-2 right off the bat when South Carolina comes to Athens this weekend. If the Poodles lose this game do you think they can rebound, run the table the next 10 games and make it back to the SEC Championship Game or do they have another 1-2 losses on their horizon?

3. When the Gators play Miami Saturday, if it’s late in the fourth quarter and the Gators are facing fourth and one or fourth and two at the Miami 25 in a white knuckler of a game, does Will Muschamp trust his kicker or will he send the troops out there to hammer out a first down?
  2. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    He will say damn I miss you Caleb first and then give the ball the Kelvin Taylor and he will find his way through the bs. The kid has a nose to get into the secondary.
  3. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    1. Yes and I don't think it is close.

2. Yes they could rebound. However, I believe that is a very mediocre D. Too mediocre. They will lose 1-2 more. Sexy O's are not the recipe these days to win SECCG's.

3. I think it is purely a function of how the game has unfolded. If UF has had 4 3rd and 2's and they have gone 0fer, you kick. If UF has been moving Miami all day long, then the question becomes much more interesting. Has UF attempted a FG in the Miami game to this point? How did it go? Tough to answer this question without a lot more information. In summary, I think it can be summed up with "As of Wednesday September 4th, I do wish Sturgis hadn't graduated".
  4. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,196
    1. Yes I think they regret it although their fans still believe Florida conspired to keep them out at the time

2. I don't think Georgia has a team good enough to compete for the SEC East this year and now injuries are piling up.

3. I agree with what gtj31 just said, it depends on how the game has unfolded, but I would expect to ram the ball down scum's throat
  5. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Yes, FSU especially looking at the crappy conference they play in and what could have been. I really could care less about Miami and am glad they turned it down.

Georgia will have to out score opponents this year, which they have the offense to do most the time. They will struggle against teams with good defenses......NO.

With the game on the line you always go after the points if it means to gain the lead, if we have a small lead then it may be different.
  6. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    1 both f$u and miami wish they were in the SEC---more money, prestige, ...
    2 a loss to SC puts uga means sc will have to lose 2 SEC games while UGA runs the table. SC has an easy schedule and will likely not lose 2 SEC games. UGA plays lsu in 2 weeks and fl in november. The rest of their games should be easy wins. They can still win out, but still not win the SEC east. I predict they will not win the SEC east with a loss to sc
    3 4th and 1---run the ball---that's the muschamp / pease offense
  7. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Look at SOWs schedule this year. They have two ranked teams to play, UF and Clemmons. The ACC is weak and their OOC schedule is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Tell the boys up front to conduct a nut check and run it down their throat.

f$u and um don't regret not joining the SEC. Playing cupcakes all year long and padding your wins while getting up for 1-2 games a year was the recipe years ago for winning a NC. Not so anymore. I told a friend of mine up here that f$u would eventually play down to their competition after joining the acc. Took about 6-7 years.
  9. deebo65

deebo65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,258
    No way he gives it to a true freshman over Jones or even Brown. No way.

1. I think deep inside they regret it especially now how it is CLEAR that the SEC is far and away they best conference. But I also believe they will never admit it

2. The have a similar team to the one that did it a few years ago when they lost to Boisie St and the Cocky then ran the table. But I still say we beat them for sure so that is 1 more loss. Plus they play LSU also so that is a toss up. Could easily be two more losses

3. If it was Sturgis it would be a no brainer. Right now, with Hardin missing one already, I doubt he trusts him and loads it up with Trenton brown at tackle and Tyler Moore as the tight end and maybe another backup lineman for the second tight end hands it off expecting to out muscle them and get the 1st.
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    1. Why should they regret it? Aiming low kept them nationally relevant a decade longer than they otherwise would have been. In the SEC, FSU would still have zero national championships and Miami one or two less.

2. Certainly UGA can start 0-2 and end up in Atlanta. That's exactly what they did in 2011. It's up to us to help prevent it this time.

3. It's early, so a lot will depend on how the kicker has done up till then in the game. If he's doing OK, I say trust the kicker. Wide right is FSU's problem, not ours.
  11. Morey

Morey New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0

1) I don't think Miami regrets that decision totally. Miami can't compete financially like a lot of the schools in the SEC. The ACC is more academic and Miami likes that and fits in better there. There are only a couple of good schools academic wise in the SEC(Vandy, Florida). But there are some days I am sure Miami would like to be in the SEC but I am sure it's just some days yes and some days no.

2)I think Georgia can rebound and if they do watch out because they are a good team. Clemson is a really good team there is no shame in losing a opening week game away by 3 points.

3) I would think UF would kick the field goal. Gotta take the points at that time. If it was earlier in the game I think he would go for it.
  12. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    1, Absolutely zero regret on FSU not joining the SEC. Zero. Ziltch. Nada. I love the SEC, don't get me wrong, I am a lifelong football fan, and if you don't love the SEC from a fan's perspective, you might as well turn in your football card and start discussing tennis over a hot cocoa, no F'ing thanks, but I am glad FSU went their own way and went to the ACC.

What I regret is that the ACC isn't managed well enough to keep up with the SEC money wise. That sucks. That needs to be fixed. But I absolutely do not want to be a red headed SEC step child. I wasn't ready for college after high school. I went to a CC and started to get my chit together. I applied to one university once I had my AA degree .... FSU. I didn't want to go to UF. I probably wouldn't have gotten in, true, but I didn't want to go there anyway. I know some Gator fans assume all Nole alums tried to get into UF and were turned away. I know it is hard for some Gator fans to understand some Noles just were not interested in G-Ville and UF. It is the same thing with the SEC. Like it, respect it, but happy were we are, thanks anyway.

UGA will lose to So Car and then lose a few more later so they will finish with at least 3losses. They played extremely well in their last two games, Bama and Clemso, but lost anyway. I am sure it is frustrating. They have a young defense and will have a better QB after Murray leaves. Addition by subtraction. I learned that at FSU, amongst other things.

Will trusts his kicker if it is a makable kick. If nt he will not hesitate to go for it and if UF comes up short he will say, after the game, UF didn't deserve to win this week the same thing Lombardi said after going for it in the NFC Championship game against Dallas to earn the right to go to the 1st or 2nd Super Bowl. You got to be able to pick up a yard when you need it or you don't deserve to win.

I don't even know who the UF kicker is but I am sure he is a capable player. He might be young that doesn't mean he isn't good. He wouldn't be at UF if he wasn't good enough.
  13. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    1. Of course they regret it. Both would probably have a few more crystal balls. Miami might actually have a legit program.

2. In theory, yes. This game has not decided the East for the most part and probably will not this year. But, if Georgia loses, they can't feel good about their chances considering their defense is a work in progress.

3. I think it depends on the score. To win the game Muschamp will kick. If Florida is leading he probably goes for it to sit on the clock.
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +507
    Depends on which "they" you are referring to. The admins most certainly regret it, they lost out on a lot of revenue over the years. The fans who most appreciate gameday atmosphere and road trips to other locations where football is more greatly appreciated probably also regret it to some extent (there's only so much getting fired up for Boston College, Maryland, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse). Not all of them care about these things.

They'll lose only one more game, to FLORIDA. An interesting stat about Richt at Georgia in August/September games. First 8 years there: 29-4; Last 5 years: 9-9. If he loses to Carolina, that will make 4 out of the last 5 years that they've lost multiple games before October. 2011 was the only year where Georgia did not lose a game in October or November under Richt.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,416
    1. I don't know, but I bet a lot of FSU fans wish they had gone to the SEC when they had the chance. BUT, for FSU fans to answer truthfully, I think they need to consider that they would have had to give up a lot of the glory of the Bowden years to have done so. No way do they have that streak of Top 4 finishes for a decade (or whatever) if they had faced an SEC schedule all those years.
  16. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    This is the point in my opinion. While the ACC has better tourist destinations, Boston, DC, Atlanta, Charlotte (sort of), Miami, the CFB trips are LIGHT YEARS better in the SEC. I have been to games in Doak, Wake, UNC, Duke, Maryland, and Miami (plus Louisville which is relevant next year). The venues are just much better in the SEC. In addition, can you imagine buying season tickets for 1 game? Wake, BC, Maryland, NC State, and co hardly excite me as a buyer. I don't get the rrophy in my house anyway. I want entertainment and the ACC simply doesn't supply it for my buck. Sure, many games are close but they are close for mediocrity. I want high quality, passion, build-up, Gameday, lots of press, etc. I want the SEC to add OU and VT just for more quality games. I want UF to play the hardest OOC schedule in the country because it is fun!
  17. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    1. certainly would have changed the dynamic of the sec in '91. they would have/could have dominated the conf in the early years. but would have been beaten up in the process too. they didn't regret it back then. they both got a few nat'l titles along the way. winning titles = no regrets. but i sense a few 'now' wish they would have joined. or wish they are a part of the SEC right now.

2. UGA's O is forminable. they just about won the SEC title game last season. they are pretty good and stand a good chance of winning the sec-east. will injuries take a toll from these opening 2 games?

3. given no other data, except that we're 1 of 2 in field goals right now - i say muschamp opts to run for the first down. or goes 'ballsy' w/ a play-action pass to a TE running a skinny post for the TD.
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Probably. I think they would have continued to be competitive had they made the move. When the ACC expanded in 2004, it seemed to take the life out of Miami, and it took several years and Bobby's retirement to wake Florida State from their lethargy.

I think Florida can beat them, but personally, I would like to see the mangy leghumpers barely beat USCe so that both teams can have an SEC loss under their belt. Anything to give Florida the edge. Let them kill each other off.

Kicker. Boom is nothing if not conservative and fundamental.
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,573
    Today, Noles and Canes wish they were in the SEC for the $$$ and national exposure if nothing else. When they were on top and winning conference and national titles, I doubt the wished they were in the SEC. Almost certainly would have cost them some of those opportunities.

I thought UGA was about a three loss team before the season, and I'll stay with that, even if they beat USCe. If they lose to USCe, there is an outside chance they could circle the wagons and run the table, but I don't believe it would happen with that defense.

For the kicking question I think it depends on the whole flow of the game... how well we've kicked to that point, how well we've controlled the LOS, how much time is left, how the defense has played, do we have a high percentage play in mind based on how they've played us in prior short yardage situations... need more info.
  20. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    1. Both might regret not joining the SEC when the playoffs start in 2014, with their schedules they'll probably have to go undefeated to get into the playoffs.

But until then I doubt that either regrets it. FSU would never have had the kind of seasons they had from 1991 forward to about 2003 if they had been in the SEC. From 1991 to 2000 they never lost more than 2 games and often lost only 1 plus 1 undefeated season. No way they would have had that kind of record in the SEC. Miami won a NC in 1991 and another in 2001 playing in the Big East, that probably wouldn't have happened if they were in the SEC those years. Since then they've pretty much stunk but they would have stunk worse in the SEC.

2. No, their defense is suspect and the loss of their leading receiver to injury has to affect the offense.

3. There's a lot of game factors that would play into that decision but in general I think he'd go for it unless our kicker gets better than he looked in the Toledo game (which he might, don't mean to knock him, it's tough being a first-year kicker especially following Sturgis).