Questions of the day: Clutch players, disappointments, jump balls

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. Of the players you’ve watched during the Billy Donovan era, which one would you want on the foul line with the score tied and less than a minute to go in the game?

2. What is the most disappointing loss that you remember during the Billy Donovan era at Florida? The best win?

3. Would you like to see college basketball eliminate the alternating possession rule and go back to two players jumping it up every time there is a held ball?
  2. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    1. Mike Miller

2. Most disappointing loss- 2010 Butler. I will still say had we won that game, we would have won the national title that year.

Best win- 2006 UCLA. 1st national title in school history.

3. Yes. So many times we have seen the defense make a good play in a critical stretch of the game only for the other team to get bailed out by the alternating possession.
  3. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    1) Taureen Green - no question. Didn't ever miss down the stretch.

2)
    a. Most dissapointing - Butler elite 8 game 2 yrs ago.
    b. Best win - Florida beating UCLA for 1st ever championship.

3) Fine as is.
  4. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,253
    1. Miller and Green are 2 good choices, but I'd probably go with whatever player (among players who played at least somewhat frequently) had the highest FT percentage. I don't think there are as many chokers or clutch artists as people tend to believe.

2. Butler sucked with what the refs did to us in that game - and what it cost us: a berth in the FF against teams I think we could have handled.

But, I will never - as long as I live - get over the Creighton loss. So many things that went wrong from our perspective. So many 50-50 plays and a couple of calls that should have been made in the last minute, any one of which would have clinched the game for us :fuming::sad::cry: :fuming::sad::cry: :fuming::sad::cry: :fuming::sad::cry:

3. Prefer it as is, but I'd be okay if they want to go back to jump balls (even though that penalizes shorter guys like me). I don't think the defense should get the ball on a forced tie-up (as Vitale seems to think), because they didn't actually take the ball away - they only tied it up.
  5. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. Green

2. Most disappointing was Manhattan in the NCAA tourney. Sure UF was a bit banged up, but UF was also called out by all the upset pickers and did not answer the bell. The best win was against UCLA in 2006. For UF basketball to win an NCAA tourney title and to do it dominating UCLA the basketball program of my youth, well no win could be better.

3. I am ok with the alternating possession rule, when there is a tie up. I do not like the five second rule though.
  6. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    The data back you up. That would give Roberson a slight edge over Green. Nelson is right there with Green.
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888

1. tough one, but either Green or J-Will

2. Butler 2010 easily.

3. Yes.....
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    1. Green. He had ice water in his veins.

2. Biggest disappointment: 12/20/2010 home loss to Jacksonville. We should have crushed them, but the team mentally went home for Christmas early.

Best win: Duke, 2000, Sweet 16. Came from behind late and punished the overall #1 seed.

3. I prefer the jump ball over alternating possession. Alternating possession reminds me of pick-up ball.
  9. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +914
    1. T. Green

2. Butler 2010 for sure. The Kentucky loss in 2001 when T. Prince hit the winning shot is a close second.

3. I will go with Georgetown 2006. The only close game in our national title run, and one that we easily could have lost without Brewer's heroics. Duke 2000 is a close second.
  10. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    I think the alternating possession rule was invented by the same soccer mom who came up with the idea that every kid gets a trophy so nobody cries.
  11. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,597
    1. I think I would go with Green here

2. So many but going into Kentucky with a brand-new #1 ranking and having our butts handed to us was rough

3. I hate the jump ball rule but I know time is a big factor in sports today
  12. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +698
    1. Taurean Green. I'd like to mention the big redhead, Matt Bonner. Seems he seldom missed free throws, but I don't recall him being put in the position of having to sink them to win a game.
    2. 1st National Title.
    3. Loss to Manhattan. I don't usually get upset if we play hard and still lose, but we really didn't even show up that day. Inexcusable.
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +698
    D'oh!!!

I didn't answer the 3rd question about the jump ball.

I miss it. One of the greatest endings to a game I've ever witnessed came on a jump ball, back in Alligator Alley in the 70s.
  14. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,448
    1. T. Green

2. Manhattan loss in the NCAA tourney was the worst. 2000 FF wins over Dook & unc are the best.

3. I prefer the jump ball for tie-ups. Don't mind giving the loser of the first half jump ball the ball to start the 2nd half.
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,253
    Actually, I think they ought to give the winner of the tip in the 1st half the ball to start the 2nd half also. Otherwise, what have you gained by winning the opening tip-off? Nothing.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    1. Taurean Green. If you want a PG that could lead Florida to the national championship than it has to be Green. T. Green (son of a basketball coach) understood floor spacing beautifully and knew how to control the flow of the game - whether to speed it up or slow it down.

2. Most disappointing loss: the 2000 national title game vs Michigan St. That team was good enough to win the national title.
    Best win: 2005-06 national title game win over UCLA!

3. No, keep it the way it is now.