Questions of the day: Changing the current AAU system

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Sep 6, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    1. On more than one occasion, John Calipari has proposed an end to the summer evaluation period for coaches which he says would take control out of the hands of AAU coaches and put it back in the hands of high school coaches, who he believes are more honest and concerned about the general welfare of the kids. It is considered a radical proposal but isn’t it time the NCAA started considering radical proposals in an effort to curb the influence of AAU coaches and put an end to some of the corruption?

2. Would the college game suffer if AAU basketball became less important than the college game?

3. If college coaches were forced to make their evaluations based on 20-30-game high school seasons without the advantage of seeing a kid play several times in summer AAU, would it make recruiting more territorial and take away the advantage some schools have to recruit nationally?
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    1. Yes it is time for the NCAA to consider radical solutions.

2. The college game would not suffer if AAU became less important and it might improve if the negative coaching of AAU ball went away.

3. If top players did not get to play real games against each other, recruiting would then have a higher variance. It would not become more regional top programs would still recruit nationally and get top players nationally. Just the evaluations would be much more iffy as in football.
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    1. Some AAU coaches are out of control. Here's a radical suggestion: starting tomorrow, any kid who plays in an AAU game becomes ineligible for college hoops.
    2. Are you sure that's the way you meant to word the question?
    3. Coaches like the AAU circuit for ease of recruiting. Tough. Kill the AAU.
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    1. You would still have street agents.

2. I thought it was.

3. Yes, but maybe it would be good if the college coaches could actually have some time off,
  5. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,757
    Blanket answer: the NCAA can do "something" but it won't clean up the mess. It is all in the hands of the NBA. If they can't get rid of the O-A-D rule then the rest is just window dressing. JMHO
  6. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    1. High School Coaches are usually better folks than AAU coaches. But are AAU coaches corrupt? The AAU was created in an attempt to generate good interregional competition. In fact Florida had a few of the best in the last 1970's - 80's. The AAU coaches are talent recruiters of the first order and maybe should be rewarded for the hard work (which ends up being a lot less money than any college coach makes).

2. To end the AAU system means less evaluation of talent. I don't think it will materially change the college game but the high school kids will get less attention. The better schools got the majority of the talent before the AAU and they will continue to do the same after the AAU.

3. Long before the AAU Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke and Syracuse et.al. recruited on a national basis or at the least on a large regional basis. If the AAU goes away the evaluation will be at many gyms instead of just a few so it will reward the hard worker rather than a lazy coach. And even today with the AAU the real work is done before the summer camps in those many gyms. Private jets makes many visits possible for the willing.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    I'm marking this occasion of full agreement with insti by quoting his post in its entirety.

The only thing I'd add is that limiting recruiting periods, and times that many of the top players are in one location, takes away some of the ability of coaches at smaller schools to out-work bigger name coaches/schools. While I honestly like Cal's idea, I wonder if he would have felt the same way when he was a young coach at Umass. IMO the benefits of making this change outweigh the negatives. Also my opinion, these negatives are lessened when your team is coached by guys with names like Donovan or Calipari.
  8. Msgreentea

Msgreentea Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    I'm not sure how this would work. I doubt AAU would die because college coaches couldn't come. Wouldn't coaches just be dependent on outside talent evaluators to watch the games, or make it easier for an AAU coach to hide a top player and steer him where he wants? Why would this keep coaches from funneling money to an AAU team. It would give Calipari a vacation.