Questions of the day: Cal, Coach K, Pat Summit and weed

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. When it comes to John Calipari and Coach K it seems there is no middle ground. People either love them or hate them. So, when Kentucky plays Duke, who do you pull for or do not care as long as they beat each other’s brains in?

2. There was a time when some schools actually considered trying to hire Pat Summitt to coach their men’s teams. Do you think she could have won coaching men or would she have been in over her head?

3. It is understandable that scholarship athletes are tested for performance enhancing drugs, cocaine, heroin and stimulants but should athletes also be tested for Marijuana? Since marijuana use is estimated at 50% or more on some campuses, is it fair that athletes are tested and can be suspended for use?
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    1. The refs

2. Well men do well coaching women's basketball so it is highly likely Summitt could have been a good men's coach if she could recruit them.

3. I am 100% behind marijuana being legalized and have been for years. With that said it is still illegal whether I, or anyone else, likes it or not. So my answer would be that it is fair but I don't think it accomplishes anything good at all.
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    1) This wont make any sense, but I would root for UK over Duke. . . but if it were just Cal -v- K . . . I would take the latter. With respect to REM and others here, I can not stand Calipari.

2) Great question. I know she was incredibly successful, but her teams often seemed so much more talented. She certainly would not enjoy the same type of dominance.. on the recruiting trail nor on the court. But many basketball minds far smarter than mine consider her an incredible tactical coach. And thus, I have to think she would do well.

3) It's absolutley fair. If the athlete does not want to be tested . . . he/she can simply opt out and become a regular student like the rest of us. But if he/she wants to enjoy the priveldge of college athletics and a scholarship. . . well, with that comes some rules and sacrifice.
  4. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447
    1. I would cheer for Duke without looking back.

2. Yes, I think she would have been good coaching a men's team. If the players are willing to respect and listen to a female coach, then all would be good.

3. Yes as long as it is illegal in most of the country. Either, players know the stuff is illegal and should be smart enough to stay away from it to avoid getting in trouble.
  5. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. Meteor game.

2. For any coach it is a matter of getting in the right job at the right time. I have my doubts about Summitt coaching men, but I think some other women coaches might have found success if they had gotten in a good situation at the right time.

3. I am not bothered by weed use, though I understand why the university feels they must impose sanctions for those who are caught. It is fair if it is part of the rules and everyone knows it. Still I would be fine with UF not testing for it in the future.
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    1. SEC over ACC.
    2. Pat Summitt has the skills and knowledge to do it. I just don't think young men would be open to accepting her as coach. It's an ego thing and would be a disaster.
    3. Don't bogart that joint, my friend.
  7. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    1. Tough one to call. Gotta love the SEC over the ACC... but we have to recruit against Kentucky WITHIN the SEC.
    I know... we recruit against Duke... but I rather win SEC titles and let the Dookies win their ACC title at the same time.

2. Pat Summit could have done it. Period.

3. Know that I am not pro-marijuana... but between the three drugs of choice:
    Alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana... which one would cause the least harm to society?
    (Illnesses, cancers and deaths. Also... auto injuries and deaths from consumption.)

Marijuana.

Both my parents died of illnesses related to both smoking and alcohol.
    Sad and... very tragic.
    And, I came within a gnat's eyelash of being killed in a multiple car accident because the driver was drunk.
    Actually got thrown 40 feet out of the car.
    I don't believe that would have happened if the driver was stoned on MJ.
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    1. I'm in the extreme minority of fans that actually like both coaches. I'm 31 and I honestly remember liking Cal when he was at UMass and then the Nets. He and Pitino were my two favorite coaches even though I wasn't much of a college fan. While its obvious I'd pull for UK's coach over Duke's, were I not a fan of either team, I'd probably still pull for UK because I would still hold the belief that the NCAA doesn't hold Duke accountable for the same kind of mishaps that they've hammered other schools for. But, thats not a coach K thing specifically. Tough to objectively answer though.

2. Its my belief that she couldn't' have done it. However, this wouldn't be because of anything other than the fact that she was born a woman and is living/coaching in this culture and at this time. High school recruits have lots of good options when it comes to coaches to play for. I don't believe she's SO far ahead of any option that it would make up for her being female.

3. I'm pretty conservative, and even I can't figure out why marijuana isn't legal. This isn't a convenient belief I hold - as I've never even used the drug myself. That being said, I think its fair for players to be tested and for them to serve punishments if caught. I'm not saying this makes much sense or that its particularly useful, but I wouldn't say its not fair.
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    1. I'd be pleased with whatever outcome benefited the Gators the most.

2. I think that if she had the players she could have been reasonably successful. I am not so sure that she would have been able to recruit effectively given the current cultural biases.

3. If pot was legal, then I say athletes shouldn't be tested. But since it is illegal it brings players into contact with the criminal element. Now you have the possibility of gambling influences and that is bad for the integrity of the game.
  10. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,963
    1) I will root for a bunch of prima donnas who play street ball and screw up their team's chemistry for a couple of months. Otherwise, SEC over ACC.

2) I am going with, sure she could coach them but couldn't recruit them and so she would ultimately fail.

3) As long as it's illegal then there must be repercussions. But if it were legalized then the penalty should be the same as if they walked in drunk. And that is a coach's decision for discipline and not a lack of institutional control issue.
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    3. I don't understand why the schools or any league test for weed. I get it's illegal, so if they want to I don't have a problem with it and I could see a coach wanting to to make sure their players are committed to the team and not stoned for practice and games. But it's not a performance enhancer, not addictive, and the costs far out weigh any benefit so I don't really see why they waste the time/money. As to the professional league's I don't understand why atheletes allow it in the CBA, if a player wants to do it good for them. If I were a fringe nba player who didnt smoke, I'd want every other fringe player to be able to to give me the advantage
  12. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    1. I like K & dislike C, but I'll root for whichever team will help UF first & the SEC second.
    2. Probably would've worked out at a smaller school where her stature exceeded that of the school; otherwise, it would've been tough.
    3. I scavenged out of dumpsters for food, live in the slums, had no money for going out & otherwise struggled for my education at UF. I played intramural football & basketball for fun in whatever ragged shoes I had, through horrible untreated shinsplints. No one asked or care that I smoked some weed. If I had been given a decent place to live, athletic clothes/shoes, food, medical care, etc. to have fun playing sports in exchange for not smoking? Umm, yeah athletes need to follow the rules.
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    1. Dislike both coaches, but at least respect Coach K. But what I would really enjoy is a whistle-happy, foul-a-minute fest in this game. Would be fun to watch both coaches implode when multiple players from both teams have to sit with 5 fouls. Usually I hate these types of games, but Duke and Kentucky get more calls than almost any other team, and nobody whines quite like Coach K.

2. Coach, yes. Recruit? Probably not at an elite level unless she proved herself at a mid-major first. Basketball fundamentals are the same, regardless if players can play above the rim or not. However, winning in college is all about recruiting the best players and getting them to the League. Summit would have to prove she could win at the men's level first, and get a player into the NBA first.

3. Legalize and tax it. Use the tax money to fund rehab programs. If players want to light up and it doesn't effect their performance on the field or in the classroom, and they stay out of trouble, no harm, no foul.
  14. deebo65

deebo65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,265
    1. I don't dislike Coach K and think he is a good coach. I hate the "superior mystique" of all things Duke, but that is something else. I think Cal is a slimeball and enjoy watching every game he loses.

2. I think that she could coach a mens team with success IF she had the same talent level in her players. Many times the teams she coached were simply much more talented than the teams they played. Much like Cal in UK. A monkey could coach some of the teams he had recently. When you play with 5 first rounders, you're gonna get some wins.

3. I'm a pro-leagalize it person. But I am torn on this issue somewhat. While it certainly doesn't do anything to improve an athletes ability in play; and most kids on campus do it... Like aka said, playing D1 on schollie is a privilege and with it comes rules and responsibilities. You are in school for 4-5 short years. You have a whole lifetime to get high....
  15. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    1. Root for UK.
    2. She was an excellent coach but I don't know if the boys would take tough love from a woman. I may be old and sexist but that is what I think.
    3. A player should not smoke pot for the same reason he should not smoke tobacco; it takes your breath and basketball demands a lot of oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange. If I were a coach no player would smoke anything.
  16. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907

1. Duke (and I'm an SEC all the way guy) but UK is my one exception.

2. Interesting topic. Brilliant woman and had all the right stuff. But handling women is 100% different from handling men. Honestly, I'm not sure and tend to think no.......but I wouldn't bet against her. A winner is a winner and like I said, she had all the right stuff on every level.

3. Eh.....technically speaking, it is illegal as a schedule 1 drug. I'm not saying that it makes sense but when you choose to sign on and accept a scholarship you are also agreeing to a certain set of guidelines. So on that basis, the NCAA has a right to hold a certain set of standards which need to be followed. Or the punishment suffered.
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Gotta say, I don't see much evidence for this kind of take. I'm not saying anyone has to like the fact that half the roster are one-and-dones (although its flawed logic to, then, like a team with only a few of them), but since Cal arrived, UK teams have had strong team chemistry. It was decent in 2010, phenomenal in 11 and 12, and poor last year. But last years problem was more a matter of a lack of college ready talent (and Noel's injury) than poor chemistry.

I smell an inaccurate narrative here...

Also, Im' seeing a lot of the "I'm SEC all the way - except for (the one team that is a threat to us) Kentucky." Saying you pull for the other 12 teams that range from absolute bottom feeders to minor threats whom Florida should be ranked higher than pretty much every single year - isn't really much of a statement IMO. I don't doubt for a second that you guys would pull for Kentucky football in a bowl game - or Vandy or Arkansas or Miss St, etc. But are you so "SEC" that you ALWAYS pull for Saban/Bama, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee (when they were good)???

Its easy to pull for the non-threats when they can only make your conference look better and improve your SOS, but when I look at fans of most teams, it appears to be very difficult for diehards to actually root for a rival (once they actually view that school as such) just because of conference affiliation. Maybe some of you can, but there's no way in hell, IMO, that its as many as have suggested over the years that they're "SEC first."
  18. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    To answer my own questions:

1. I would go for Kentucky. Coach K is just as sneaky -- if not sneakier -- than Cal, but somehow Coach K has this image that he sits at the right hand of God. I know both men. I'd drink a beer with Cal, who probably carved his initials in a bar stool at The Crescent at Wrightsville Beach, NC when he was at UNC Wilmington.

2. I have no doubt that Pat Summit could have been an outstanding coach of a men's program. She wouldn't have dominated men's basketball like she did women's, but she would have won and she would have had no problems earning the respect of her players. I've been around a lot of basketball coaches in my years and she had one of the more brilliant basketball minds I've ever encountered.

3. I think the NCAA and schools have the right to set their own rules. If they want to make marijuana use illegal for scholarship athletes, it's within their right and it's up to the athletes to conform. I have no sympathy for folks who try to bend or break the rules, particularly those that use the lame excuse "well everyone else is doing it."