Questions of the day: August 26, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,598 / 84 / -16
    1. Not all AAU coaches and team directors are bad guys, but the trend of corruption only seems to be spreading throughout the ranks. Should the NCAA take steps to curb the influence of AAU coaches and directors? One thought it to prohibit a prospect being accompanied on an official visit by any coach other than his high school coach. Do you think this would even make a dent in the corruption?

2. Another thought about curbing the AAU coach/director influence is for the NCAA to limit the number of AAU events that it sanctions. Would fewer games and more NCAA control accomplish any worthwhile purpose?

3. The NCAA will be announcing its findings in its three-year investigation into the University of Miami within the next week or so. In that Frank Haith is no longer associated with The U and all the guilty parties to the alleged misconduct have either graduated or moved on, should the NCAA still drop the hammer or should it simply leave Miami alone and concentrate on reeling in Hait, who is now the head coach at Missouri?
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909 / 131 / -139
    1) No

2) Yes, fewer events.

3) Always drop the hammer on Miami...they're a den of delinquents.
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 9 / -2
    1. Yes.
    2. I didn't think the NCAA had any say in what AAU does. As an aside, AAU basketball just needs to go away; the quality of fundamental skills has gone way, way down since the rise of AAU.
    3. The UM committed the infractions. They need the punishment. And THEN, you need to investigate Haith at Missouri. Methinks Mizzou fans would welcome it; most of 'em want to fire the guy already.
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    1. Why someone other than your parent or legal guardian would be allowed to go on an official visit is beyond me. That includes coaches, high school or AAU.

2. I am less sure if more or less games are good. I think maybe fewer games more than say 100 miles from home might be a good thing.

3. I think the NCAA should move from sanctioning programs to fining them. I mean 7 figure fines so that punishment will be for the athletic program of the university caught not players and coaches who were not there at the time.
  5. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184 / 10 / -3
    Make the AAU programs professional and have the NBA use them as a farm system like baseball...same rules for the NCAA. Play AAU and you are ineligible but free to go and get paid by them to play. If you decide on college you must wait 3 years before being drafted by the NBA. The NBA teams increase the draft and allow for 18 year olds to go to work like anyone else in the country and get paid by the AAU teams if they don't want to go to college.
  6. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,598 / 84 / -16
    Okay, let me get this straight phidelt ... you said, "The NBA teams increase the draft and allow for 18 year olds to go to work like anyone else in the country and get paid by the AAU teams if they don't want to go to college."

Let's see ... AAU ... Amateur Athletic Union ... and they get paid?

Hmmm.
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +305 / 2 / -2
    1. It is a broken system, but something just as broken will replace it if you get rid of it.

2. Probably not.

3. Sanction the program. It punishes the boosters that enable the cheating.