Questions of the day: August 25, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. Although it’s proven that Billy Donovan’s share the ball approach which usually has five starters scoring anywhere from 9.5-13.5 points produces wins and prepares players for the next level, do you think it hurts in recruiting high profile kids who are used to scoring in bunches?

2. Is it fair that coaches can change jobs any time they please but players have to sit out a year if they wish to transfer? If a coach leaves a program or is fired, should players have the right to transfer anywhere they wish?

3. Should a coach have the right to determine which schools a kid who is disgruntled with the program can or cannot transfer to?
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    1. I"m sure it has some impact. It takes a special superstar (Beal) to realize the advantage of learning under Coach Donovan.

2. I certainly understand why the transfer rule is in place, but I think a coach leaving or getting fired should be a factor in it. Right or wrong, NCAA basketball has become a coach driven game and there's no doubt the coach is the number one factor in many recruits' decisions.

3. I absolutely hate when coaches put restrictions on where a kid can transfer. That's one of the things I respect most about Steve Spurrier....to my knowledge, he never put restrictions on transfers. Doing so is childish and puts the coach's welfare above the player's. The only place where I can understand it is when there has been obvious tampering.
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    1. Lots of the guys we get scored 20+ per game in high school. If not being DA MAN in college ball is an issue for these guys, then pass on 'em.
    2. I like the sit-a-year rule, but kids should be allowed immediate eligibility transfers if the head coach leaves. HOWEVER...the kid should have to sit a year if he follows coach to the new school. A rule change I'd like to see right now is the small school garbage that allows you immediate eligibility if you move from Big U to Slippery Rock. Doesn't seem fair.
    3. Coaches are, by and large, egomaniacal and power-crazed. They should not be allowed to dictate where a transfer is allowed to go. This is America, dammit.
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    1. Whatever you do will be spun as negatively as possible in recruiting. If you play five good players as Donovan does it is used to tell stars they will not be developed for the NBA enough. If you focus on a star or two, they will be told they will not have good enough teammates to win big or develop for the Association. If you do something in between that will be criticized too. That is the nature of recruiting.

2. Students do not have to sit out a year if they want to transfer. They can go to class right away. If they want to participate in extra curricular activities, get that word EXTRA, they may have to wait some time. Unless they don't get a release from their first school, they can get a grant in aid from their new school immediately. Still if they want to play a sport right away, they can transfer to a lower division school, a non-NCAA school or turn professional. So there are lots of options if you do not choose to sit a year.

3. I think it is ok for a coach to give a student a limited release as long as the limits placed on the student are reasonable. This helps cut down tampering. I do not think it is ok for any limits to be placed on a student who has graduated. They should be able to go to graduate school where ever they want and use what ever eligibility they have left.
  5. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    1) THE thing that hurts recruiting is the AAU debauchery. Basketball is the new boxing: a place for poor people to make big bucks and there are a LOT of sleazy people taking advantage of them. The only question is whether UF wants an elite caliber program and not worry about the costs to your legacy (see UK, Cal style, as well as others) or do you keep the faith? The minutes are all about proving yourself, but if these big time players have handlers and posses that tell the something else then they aren't going to be very coachable.

2) Given the silliness surrounding players, I say let them sit one year if they aren't being treated like the divas they think they are. But if the head coach leaves, or the program gets an NCAA penalty that hurts the competitiveness of the team during their tenure then give them a free pass anywhere with no waiting period. No coach or university restrictions. You reap what you sow.

3) See Number 2.
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    1 - No. It doesn't hurt recruiting the kind of kids you want. If a player is turned off by that, they're not right for the program in the first place.

2 - No. Its not fair. Like tegator says, you reap what you sow. Players only have so much time in college to develop into the kind of player that is going to have professional playing options. This shouldn't be restricted and they should be able to act in their own best interest (no doubt others surrounding them can poison this notion - but the ideal should remain). There is only one exception where players should be at all limited...

3 - Coaches should ONLY have the right to limit future options of a player if they suspect tampering. Furthermore, they should have to name the fact, publicly, that they suspect tampering and should also name the team or teams that they think are involved.

Its complete BS to suggest that players can move about freely. When the best argument for this is "well, um, I guess they have to pay their own way and/or not play a sport when they want to...", then its irrelevant. Coaches don't have this restriction - players shouldn't either. Again, you reap what you sow and the coaches that will suffer mass defections of players deserve it and are either not creating a healthy/enjoyable atmosphere (Rutgers) or aren't recruiting honestly. Right now coaches know they can practically lie to recruits, knowing that if they can get them on campus, they can also then make it somewhat difficult to leave.
  7. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    I think everyone should be allowed the freedom to transfer anywhere he wants after his freshman year without penalty. After that, then there should be a penalty ... unless the coach leaves or is fired. If the coach leaves or is fired, the kids should be able to transfer wherever they want.

I think those rules would make sense. Any kid should be able to figure out if he's not a good fit or is homesick, etc. after one year, and we've seen far too many times how a new system doesn't mesh for kids when a new coach comes to town (See Captain Ahab at UF when Norm got fired).
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Sounds reasonable.
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,079
    1) Players need to get used to sacrificing for the benefit of the team.

2) Yes

3) NO
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    1) I don't think that Billy wants players that want inflated stats other than "W's".

2) If there was no transfer rule what would prevent a school from hiring a coach and have all of his good players follow him and be able to play the next year?

3) As a way to prevent tampering I think that it is OK. As a way to punish kids I think that it sucks.