Questions of the day: August 23, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 23, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620 / 84 / -16
    1. Do you think that certain basketball referees have it in for certain coaches? Is there one current official that you hate to see calling a Florida game?

2. Who are the five best NBA players you have ever seen on TV or in person?

3. Kentucky coach John Calipari could practically name his own price to go back to the NBA. Do you think he remains at Kentucky for several more years or do you think his ego can resist the lure of the NBA for more than one or two more years in Lexington?
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    1. Yes, but no there is no particular ref that I dread calling a UF game.

2. Ervin Johnson on tv, Bill Russell at the end of his career on tv, a young Julius Erving as a Virginia Squire in person, a young and healthy Bill Walton on tv and for the fifth maybe Wilt Chamberlin on tv.

3. I suspect that Calipari is not at UK too much longer. But that is mainly because most coaches don't stay places long term these days.
  3. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442 / 14 / -2
    I will comment briefly on #3. Calipari's best coaching quality is as a recruiter. That doesn't get you very much in the NBA. So, I don't know why anyone would want him or why he would go. That doesn't mean people won't make a stupid decision - it happens all the time in pro sports - but I'm not holding my breath.
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 2 / -2
    1. Doug Shows

2. MJ, Bird, Magic, Russell, and McHale. I put McHale in there because his footwork was a thing of beauty.

3. Calipari is a perfect match for UK. I see him staying there as long as he wants to. As for the NBA I think that would be a mistake for him that he already made once before.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509 / 26 / -28
    1. Yes, Doug Shows would probably top the list for me.

2. MJ, Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, I'm not sure about the 5th. Maybe Shaq at his best.

3. He isn't staying more than a few more years IMO. I do think he still has the NBA itch, but I don't think he'd leave for a big contract in a lousy location. I think it would have to be a good job also. Its also possible he leaves for a job other than coaching. He's become quite the "do gooder" as he's gotten older. Definitely appears to have shifted from satisfying personal aspirations to trying to find ways to give back - "generativity vs stagnation" for any of you Erikson fans out there. IMO, UK will have a coaching vacancy long before Florida will.
  6. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    REM08, I think all coaches who make it to the top have to have a strong personal drive. I do think that his ability to recruit is his best asset, and do have respect for the way he gets them to play well together (most seasons :) ). However, I think winning in the NBA would help solidify him as more than just an elite recruiter.
  7. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,620 / 84 / -16
    Billy actually likes having Doug Shows call Florida games. Ted Valentine, too.

My list of referees that I don't like starts with Jamie Lucky, the guy who completely turned around the Florida-Butler game in New Orleans in 2008. My press row seat was 10 feet away from a confrontation between Brad Stevens and Lucky, who turned beet red when Stevens called him out for a foul call against Andrew Smith at the 9:01 mark. Florida was up by 11 at the time and in total control because Butler couldn't handle Vern Macklin, who scored 25 points in 24 minutes that day. Lucky responded by walking over to Stevens and totally losing his cool. After he dressed down Stevens, Lucky made an absolute phantom call against Macklin. That was Vern's fourth so he had to sit and during that time Butler got back into it. Butler went more than five minutes before another foul was called against them.
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,159 / 16 / -5
    1. I would think there are some refs who have it in for certain coaches even if it's a subconcious thing. But, I don't think it's widespread, and it's not something I worry about too much - although I'm all for critiquing bad calls when they happen! So, no I don't have a ref in mind that I don't want to see do Gator games.

2. I've seen all of my all-time NBA top 5 play on tv (none of them in person):
    1. LeBron
    2. Wilt
    3. Bird
    4. Magic
    5. MJ

3. Calipari seems like the type to move on, but who knows? People surprise me all the time. I do think he does more than just recruit. I know he gets the most talent, but getting that many freshmen to perform and play as a team would be tough for any coach IMHO.

And, lest anyone think I'm a fan of Calipari, I'm not. I loathe Cal's approach to college basketball, and although I always used to root for UK when they were representing for the SEC, they will be my least favorite team in America until Cal leaves.
  9. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101 / 39 / -19
    3. Calapari will stay as long as he/Kentucky avoid NCAA investigation.
    2. Not sure which 5, but pretty sure they were all on the Dream Team.
    1. KARL HESS Whether it's the Gators or any other team, hands down the worst ref in college basketball and in the worst ways. He's makes bad calls, loves attention of making those calls and will make more of them out of spite if argued. Pure awfulness . . . or else he's got money riding on his games.
    Just ask Mick Hubert and the Gator broadcast crew. Or read more here:
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...eets-about-king-karl-hess-the-notorious-r-e-f
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,159 / 16 / -5
    Walton gets an asterisk from me. For just under 2 seasons, he may have been the best player of all time. But, then the injuries hit...

I always wonder what might have been for him. Incredible basketball IQ to go with great talent.
  11. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 2 / -2
    He was just amazing the year he took Portland to the Championship. Greatest passing center ever, IMHO.

If only he was anywhere near that good as a announcer.
  12. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114 / 25 / -9
    1. "TV" Teddy Valentine practically admitted to having a grudge against some coaches in a recent SI article (though he says that's all in the past now). I think the bigger problem, though, is officials that want to be bigger than the game. Valentine certainly fits that mold. Officials I never want to see working a Florida game: Valentine, Shows, (and probably Tony Greene & Karl Hess for good measure).

2. Dr. J, Joe Dumars, Larry Bird, McHale, Magic.

3. Calipari ain't going anywhere. He realizes he ain't an Xs & Os guy, so he's not going to go back to an Xs & Os league. Once caveat: He will go to the NBA if the NCAA's hot on his heels (see Carroll, Pete).
  13. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,620 / 84 / -16
    Billy actually likes and requests both Doug Shows and Ted Valentine.

Nobody -- coaches, players or anyone except maybe the NCAA -- likes Karl "Body Bag" Hess ... as in no body bag, no foul. You'll find less contact at a MMA event than you will in a game he officiates.

Tony Greene used to be a fine official. Now he's only good if he's in a crew with a strong crew chief. If he is the crew chief he will spend so much time trying to make up for missed calls by crew members that he will miss obvious calls that he should make.

Everybody hopes they will get Mike Nance ON THE ROAD. Nobody likes him when they are at home. When he's on the road he goes out of his way to make sure that nobody thinks he's a homer so he actually makes calls that favor the visitors. Nice guy, though.

Another one that nobody likes is Mike Stuart. He's made critical bad calls against the Gators at least 10 times that I can think of since 2006. I know several SEC coaches who cringe when they see he's calling one of their games.

Bruce Benedict is horrible and I'm giving him credit.

The best officials in the SEC right now are Doug Shows, Pat Adams, Doug Sirmons and Ted Valentine. Tom Eades used to be but he rarely calls SEC anymore, mostly Big 12 and Big Ten. You could poll the 14 coaches and Shows Adams, Sirmons and Valentine would be in everyone's top five officials in the league.
  14. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114 / 25 / -9
    I have a soft spot for Bruce Benedict because I loved him as a kid when he played for my beloved Braves.
  15. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,620 / 84 / -16
    Good catcher. Horrible zebra and saying horrible is being kind.
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,159 / 16 / -5
    I didn't like that long-haired hippie when he was in college :smoke:, or when he was leading the Blazers over the 76ers for the NBA championship. But, what a masterful dissection of the 76ers' defense that was in the last 4 games of that 6-game series!

And, Walton was getting even better the next season when he had the Blazers on their way to the best NBA regular season record ever when he got hurt late in the season.

I started to appreciate what Walton was doing after-the-fact when I got over the 76ers series, and started thinking about the clinic I had seen put on by Walton's Blazers.

I agree he was the best passing center ever. He also had excellent scoring and rebounding skills. And, he was a great, and very smart, defender. I missed watching Russell live, but tend to think Walton was like Russell on defense in being very smart (a cerebral approach if you will :geek:) about how to challenge shots (without always going for the block) without fouling. He was not as athletic as Russell, but Walton had pretty good length.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 2 / -2
    Russell had the best feel for the game for a post defender that I have ever seen. He went head-to-head with Wilt many times and it was nearly always epic. Wilt was probably the greatest athlete ever to play the post and Russell played him at least even at 6' 9". Unreal. He knew what his opponent would do way before they did.

I was only a kid when I watched them play on an old B&W TV, but it was extraordinary. I can still close my eyes and see plays unfold. Too bad it is in SD and not HD. :^)

Walton had some of that as a defender, but he had a much better feel for the game at the offensive end. He was DEADLY running a high post offense through him when he was healthy. Best I ever saw.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,159 / 16 / -5
    Great feedback, Lurker!

I'm sorry I missed those Wilt/Russell battles.

I started playing basketball, and then following it as a fan, in 7th grade, which was Fall of 1969, a few months after Russell retired. I think I'd be interested in watching some of those old games if they ever show them on tv (assuming tapes of the whole games exist).
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +732 / 9 / -3
    I am not sure he has an agenda, but I find Tony Greene insufferable.
  20. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,620 / 84 / -16
    Tony Greene's sell-by date expired about five years ago.