Questions of the day: August 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. With Wisconsin and UConn on the road, Memphis in NYC and Kansas at the O-Dome, did the Gators overschedule this year or should they schedule aggressively like this every year?

2. The last two years of Vernon Maxwell’s Florida career have been erased because they caused the Gators to go on NCAA probation. It’s been more than 20 years. Should Maxwell’s records be restored?

3. Of Florida’s two national championships, which was the more impressive to you?
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. No UF did not over schedule with Zona on the road, KSU in Kansas City and Georgetown and Wisconsin and Marquette in the O'Dome. Still I don't think UF should schedule like this every year.

2. Well my view is you can not alter reality though I do accept the NCAA can forfeit a games and change results. Baseball did not erase Joe Jackson or any of the "Black Sox" stats from the books and I do not really understand this late 20th century policy of trying to pretend things did not happen.

3. Repeating is really hard so that impressed me more. They went into the season favored, won the SEC and the SEC tourney, went into the NCAA tourney at the number 1 seed and won that too. That is amazing.
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    1. Yes, almost always schedule this aggressively.

2. Not sure. Honestly don't know enough about it.

3. The Repeat.
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    1. If you want to be a "big boy" you have to play the big boys.

2. I can see both sides and don't care strongly either way after all these years.

3. 2007. In 2006 the stars aligned in the tournament giving a very good team that was playing their best ball of the year a chance at the title and they took it. That was a fun ride.

In 2007 they were the best team and had to deal with that and all the attention. I was impressed at how they remained focused and humble enough to get it accomplished.
  5. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,676
    1. I don't think so. Personally I love this schedule which give the guys some serious competition before entering league play. Hopefully it will also increase fan appeal too.

2. I am mixed about Vernon. Watched him play in the O-Dome but even then I was being told there were rumors of things going on. When the news broke about Sloan and Towe it was a tough blow to our fans and the other players. While not excusing anything he did I don't really know what it accomplishes to keep his accomplishments out of the books.

3. The first one. Finally getting to the top was just such a huge mountain to conquer after all the work Billy had put into building the program. We came so close only to lose to MSU once before but to me that was the one that really put UF bb on the map.
  6. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +930
    1. This type of schedule has two distinct advantages. First, it prepares the team for the challenge of playing the best squads in the country. Second, it provides more interesting early season games for the fans and, hopefully, boosts attendance. Those are why we should do this every year.

2. We shouldn't have erased his records to begin with. I am generally against these types of moves because of the inherent intellectual dishonesty of pretending something didn't happen when it most certainly did.

3. The second title was more impressive. We went through the whole season and tournament getting the best game from every opponent. It must have been incredibly stressful and a huge grind.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    1. I think it was great scheduling. Not over scheduling at all. Florida is going to be a top 10 team to start the year. IMO you want to be tested - this isn't football. Why I think its such a smart schedule is because its full of good teams, but not many great teams (i.e. easily losable or games UF won't be favored). Of the OOC games, is there a top 10 team? Just based on all the preseason prognostications I've seen, the only possibility is Kansas now that they've landed Wiggins. Their odds for winning the title are fairly high, but they're one of those teams I'd expect to be much better in March than in 2013 (true of every team but more true for some). Would have been much tougher with a game like Arizona on the schedule. I definitely think this kind of scheduling should be the norm.

2. I agree with Gotham. Pretending (which is what it is) something didn't happen is still just pretending. It happened. I don't know the specifics regarding Maxwell, but if things were just incredibly blatant, then maybe the school can choose not to honor the player kinda like they've done with Hernandez. But that should mean more things like not purposefully honoring the player by retiring jerseys or having pictures up of him and the like - not in erasing statistics that happened.

3. The road was easier in 2006, but in 2007, it was just so clear that they were the best team and were built for winning another title that I have trouble not still saying 2006. From a UK fan's perspective, think about how you would have looked at UK last year had the entire title team returned. Sure, they would have had an even bigger bulls eye and MANY professional athletes will tell you the hardest thing is to repeat, but I think most people would have considered it a failure for that team to not repeat - despite how difficult that is. But then again, single elimination is tough and so random sometimes. Haha, I barely have an answer here.
  8. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    1. Tough games in November/December makes for a better team in March/April.

2. If the decision was made, stand by it.

3. Easily the first one. We were a team of mostly inexperienced underclassmen that came out of nowhere. The showed some promise during the regular season but still went into the tourney as what a 3 seed in the west???? Then, not only did they win the tourney. They basically dominated every game. The only game that was really close was the Georgetown game. All the other games were double digit blowouts.
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,470
    1. As long as the SEC is as week as it has been the past few years, we must continue to schedule this way.

2. NO

3. I'll go first one too. That was a magical run with Billy pushing all the right buttons. Repeat was extremely impressive, but the first is always the special one.
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    1) I like to consider myself the driving force behind the schedule change, even though such thoughts are dellusions of grandeur. Still, after endless rants here and to the UAA . . . you will NEVER hear me gripe about a slate being too difficult.

2) Erase. Doing so doesn't mean it "didn't happen". It means we are not acknowledging it.

3) Repeat.
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    Good point.

1. But, I also think Billy needs to gauge how capable he believes his team is to handle a tough schedule, but I think having a tough schedule has been the right thing lately. A weaker and/or younger team that needs seasoning could get overwhelmed and have their spirit broken if they're given too much to handle - particularly early in the season.

2. I'm torn.

3. I think "impressive" describes the 2nd title more. "Surprising", "elating" and "amazing" describe the 1st title better IMO. But, both were all of those things :joecool: