Questions of the day: August 20, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    1. Florida used to be called a sleeping giant for football and obviously the Gators are now a powerhouse in basketball, too. Is there an SEC basketball program that is a sleeping giant, capable of becoming a real powerhouse with the right coach in place?

2. Given the choice between watching the NBA or a college game on television, which one do you choose and why?

3. Instead of all these rotten post season tournaments that nobody cares about, such as the NIT, should the NCAA instead expand to 96 or 128 teams? Or do we need the NIT and other tournaments to give mediocre teams a chance to build for the future so they can one day make the big dance?
  2. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    1) Georgia (ugh)

2) College

3) No more expanding
  3. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    1. Tennessee. The support is there. Just look at the women's team. And look how quickly they got good with Sweaty Bruce. I don't know if Cuonzo is the guy, but they were pretty good last year and will be better this year.

2. Gators first. Then, NBA games in which former Gators are playing. Then college. I'm not a longtime fan of any NBA team - I just like watching the guys who used to play for us do well and I'll cheer for their teams.

3. Don't expand the tournament anymore. The bigger the size of the field, the less likely it is that the best teams will win. As a fan of one of the perennial best teams, I want the tournament to stay the size it is now. I'm in favor of keeping the NIT because at least in years when we haven't made the NCAA tournament I've been able to watch the Gators play a few more.
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    1. UAR, I thought they might have their guy this time, but he is in danger of running out of time and does not seem to be a guy who can get them to the very top.

2. College always, more variety in styles of play and type of players who can contribute.

3. Though from determining a true champion point of view it is probably too big already, I would not object to seeing the tourney expand an extra round. Give 16 teams a first round bye and then play Wed-Fri-Sun and Tues-Thrus-Sat sites. That 3rd game in six days would make the bye particularly valuable and you would have 80 teams in the tourney. I do think the other tourneys can be valuable for young teams who can play multiple extra games. Not so valuable to an older team who had their season ended by injries.
  5. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,442
    1. I don't see any sleeping giants. I think a new giant would be most likely to arise based on a great coaching hire.

2. I lean toward watching NBA games if you're talking about some random generic game that happens to be on, because I would generally know the NBA players better than the college players. But, UF games are at the top of my list - by a wide margin!

3. I think the tourneys are okay now. Rather than expanding the number of teams, I'd be more interested in introducing double elimination - maybe after the first 2 rounds are over.
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    1. Bama. If they could channel a big portion of their fans fervor toward bb they could be a contenda.

2. College bb all the way. Used to watch pros but lost interest several years back.

3. Leave it the size it is now.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    1. Either Tennessee or Arkansas.

2. College. I watch the NBA once the playoffs start, but that's about it.

3. Leave it. Actually, shrink it by 4 teams - no more play in games. I hate how the first round is now called the second round. I speak as a fan of a team fresh off an NIT bid - if you're not good enough to make the field of 64, you're not good enough to win it. I'm actually fine with not even having the NIT or other tourneys. They're just not on my radar.
  8. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +325
    1) UGa or LSU. They have had a pocket of success here or there, and the recruiting base is fertile, especially with UGa and Atlanta. The right coach could probably do some damage.

2) College. It tends to be more of a team game with strategy involved. NBA is more of an isolation game, and its only exciting in the last 2 to 3 minutes.

3) Tournament is big enough right now.
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    The recruiting base was my logic on number 1 and you agree with my 2 and 3 also. Good job.
  10. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    1. I can't argue with either Arkansas or Tennessee. The Vols were close to great with Pearl and can pack in 20K+ fans when they are playing well.

2. College for sure. The passion is stronger, and the contrasting styles of play more interesting.

3. They should contract before they expand.
  11. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Recently I guess you put UF, UK and now Mizzo as top of league right now.

Piggies, UTooth, Corndogs, Elephants could certainly put in the next tier of teams with more potential given tradition, fan base etc.

I am not sure about A&M because they just have pockets of success in terms of getting to the NCAA tourney.

But A&M and the rest of the league I would suspect will always be inconsistent so to speak meaning maybe a few times every 8 years they might put out a ok team out there if they brought in the right recruit or transfer for a 2-3 year period.
  12. deebo65

deebo65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,258
    1) Tennessee I feel for the same reasons Gotham said. Even still, I always feel worried playing them up there. Just always play well at home.

2) I always watch everyt UF game and most SEC games. I will watch a bigtime matchup in college. I just can't watch Central Mich play Eastern Kansas. I used to watch NBA more (always watched UF games though) more but it just doesn't mean as much to the players and fans until the playoffs. Every game is do or die it seems in college. You just gotta love that!

3) Keep it the same size. Keep NIT and such.
  13. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379

1. Both Alabama and Tennessee

2. College easily......other than playoffs I don't watch much NBA. Quarters 1-3 are completely contrived. Players are given a certain amount of set plays to get their stats. The only organic real basketball is played in the 4th quarters and the playoffs.

3. I think that both the NCAA should be expanded and keep the NIT
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    1. LSU, Arky, Missouri, Vols, and Vandy have all had some good stretches of very good basketball. LSU and Arky have had Final Four teams in the modern era and Arky won the whole thing and almost repeated. Any one of these schools could become very good.

2. College >> NBA

3. I liked it better when the NCAA tournament was smaller and the NIT actually had some very strong teams. Perhaps there should be an NCAA Division 1a championship for the one-bid leagues with the Champion getting a Sweet 16 berth.
  15. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +514
    1. Arkansas. Was a power for years, winning the title in 1994. All it takes is the right coach.

2. College over the NBA, unless it's a meaningless MEAC game that's on at the same time as a marquee NBA match-up (Heat - OKC). But normally don't start caring about the NBA until April.

3. 64 is the perfect number. If the goal of the tournament is to select a champion, then 64 is actually too big. The highest seed ever to win was a #9 seed. But a 36-team championship would be a bit strange. Besides, two #11 seeds have made it to a Final Four, and if you can get that far, you can win it all. A 48-team tournament would be perfect if the goal was just crowning a champion. And interestingly enough, the highest at-large bid is usually a #12 seed.

But the tournament, especially the first weekend, is as much about Cinderella as it is about crowning a champion. Florida Gulf Coast had statistically no chance of winning it all. But they won two games in the tournament and became the story of the year. And great for them. For those auto bid teams ranked between #13 and #16, the goal isn't winning it all, but come up with the colossal upset that sends shockwaves through the basketball world. And the tournament is better for having these Cinderellas, as they knock somebody off early every year. Long live FGCU's improbable run to the Sweet 16!

I'd love to go back to 64. Teams 65-68 create four meaningless games, in my opinion, that nobody pays attention to. If they must keep it at 68, I say make these 4 games all #16 v #17 teams.
  16. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    1. Tennessee
    2. College every time.
    3. I'd be OK with an expanded field and starting the tourney a week earlier at higher seeds' home courts
  17. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Tennessee seems most likely

I don't watch NBA games except for the playoffs and that's a "maybe"

64 is a good number

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
  18. ncgatorfan

ncgatorfan Member since 1996 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Arky - they have done it before but the ghost of Nolan still looms

NCAA much more than NBA ... we have an NBA team in Charlotte if you can call them that and have never seen them play even on TV.

Go Back to 64 ... I like the NIT giving teams a chance to develop and play more games.
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    1) UT, for sure. And they were on their way if not for Bruce blowing it.

2) NCAA. NBA is virtualy unwatchable. . . far too much isolation. Just not my kind of basketball.

3) Leave it. There are plenty of teams thrilled to make the NIT.
  20. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    1. Hogs

2. NCAA. I'll watch the conference finals and then the finals but the rest is boring and no emotion is involved. The entire culture of ridiculing someone who plays a little D and gets dunked on is something I'll never understand. I went to a Nuggets game in December and I came very close to falling asleep. Kid N Play performed at halftime and was the only time the crowd showed the slightest of emotions.
    3. Either 64 or 128, these play in games don't have a tournament feel.