Questions of the day: August 19, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    1. If you could go see a college basketball game at any arena, which one would it be?

2. At the current distance, the 3-point shot is nothing more than an average jump shot these days. Should the NCAA think about moving the line back a couple of feel to make it more of a high risk, high reward shot?

3. The season doesn’t begin until November and March Madness is six months away, but what are your early picks for the Final Four?
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    1. Hinkle Fieldhouse

2. Leave it alone.

3. UK, UNC, Michigan State, Arizona
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    1. Fog Allen Fieldhouse

2. Move it back. Its just too different from an NBA three pointer IMO - at least have it be closer.

3. No idea, but I'll say UK, MSU, UL and Kansas
  4. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    I dunno but wouldn't it be funny if UK misses the tourney again?
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370
    They won't miss the tourney this year.

They also won't sniff the final four.
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    The tournament is such a crap shoot, I have a hard time basing how good a team is solely on that.

What are you willing to predict as far as SEC standings or record against Florida - as far as Kentucky is concerned?
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370
    It's hard to predict who will get in, not so hard to predict who will likely not get in.

I'm not willing to predict much. I'd put UK right around the same conference standings as last season, somewhere in the 11-7 to 13-5 area.
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    If everyone at Kentucky is eligible, they should be a whole lot better than they were last year. Their starting 5, although babies, will be the most talented starting 5 in the country. They will have several question marks though, including the quality of their team defense, depth at point guard, and how they respond to real tough defense against them. Randle and the Harrisons will have never played against defenders like Wilbekin, Yeguete and Patric Young. Who knows how they will react.

On the other side of the coin, if everyone at UF is eligible, I will take the Gators entire roster over the UK roster, and I will predict that the Gators will win the SEC. You can throw the dice to predict the Gators starting lineup. For example, if we went the veteran route, we would have a starting lineup of Wilbekin, Frazier, Prather, Yeguete and Young. That would give us a 2nd five of Hill, Carter, Finney-Smith, Chris Walker and Harris. That 2nd five could go toe-to-toe with Kentucky's starting 5. Let's get the season underway!!
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    The way I see it is that Kentucky has had two types of highly rated freshmen. One group, guys like Wall, Cousins, Jones, Noel, MKG, Teague, Knight, etc, arrived as "babies" but could contribute VERY effectively by the end of their first year. The other group, guys like WCS, Poythress, Orton, Harrow (even though he was a transfer), Wiltjer, etc - these guys weren't quite as ready to make a big impact by the end of their freshmen years.

The question for this years UK team is how many of the freshmen end up in which group. I think most UK fans assume that they will mostly end up in the first group. If that's the case they'll be as good as expected. If too many of them prove not ready as freshmen (especially in the case of Andrew H), then it could be a year that doesn't live up to the hype. Also, do WCS and Poythress make a jump and become more effective than they were as freshmen?

IMO, UK's ceiling is higher than Floridas, but the floor is lower. Also my opinion, Cal's first 3 UK teams ended up playing at a higher level than the gators, but the fourth one, obviously, did not. The hope for other fan bases, I'd assume, is that this year looks like last year did. If that happens, I'll keep posting...but it would be painful because of how much I've supported the notion of freshmen laden teams performing well.
  10. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    1. There is no greater or more electric atmosphere in college basketball at Kansas. Duke can only wish that Cameron had the crowd and the electricity of Phog Allen. When the fans sway and chant "Rock ... Chalk ... Jayhawk" ... well, you have to be there to know what it's like but there is nothing close to that in all of college basketball.

2. I'd like to see the international distance of 22-1. The college 3-point line is just too easy.

3. I like Louisville, Michigan, Arizona and Florida. Kentucky has plenty of talent, but we'll see if the Harrison Twins can be all-inclusive or still stuck in their own world. And, there is no depth in the backcourt. Kentucky is an injury away at the point or shooting guard from a tailspin. Front court depth at UK is impressive, but if your guards can't get it done, it won't matter.
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    I think that UK is as loaded as they have ever been and they have some serious talent with at least one year of high Div I experience. They will start the season "very good" and end the season "scary good".

It is hard to predict SEC records without seeing the SEC schedule. I have no idea when teams play each other and that is a big deal for UK. If their season is front loaded they might suffer a bit, but if it is back loaded they will do better. (added in edit: If tupacbiff was still around he would say that it was a given that UK's schedule was back loaded to give them every advantage. I miss that guy!)
    They should be the team that improves the most over the course of the year so that makes a big difference to them.

As for the season series I predict home victories for both and UK over UF in the SEC tournament, which will be almost another home game for UK.
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    1. I don't know if I could stomach the hours of Rock Chalk for a game at the Phog. Thinking about catching a game at the new Pauley Pavilion at UCLA. Over a $100 million renovation. Interesting to see how they merge the history with the modern.

2. At the old 19' 9", the 3-point line was too close. The current, international level is exactly where it should be for the college game.

3. Memphis, Florida, Kansas, and Arizona
  13. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +129
    Tampa Jack, that second five, woooooo hoooooh. If Walker makes it in I predict the final four of Arizona, Duke, Kentucky, Florida.

I think once in the season Hill takes off at the point and no one can stop him, I don't think we will be able to keep him out of the starting line-up. He is elite!
  14. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    1. Pauley Pavilion
    2. I'd prefer the international distance
    3. Michigan, Kentucky, Syracuse & Arizona
  15. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    1. KU would probably be the place I would want to see a game that I have not been to.

2. The NCAA already moved the arc back four years ago, but I would not mind seeing the international distance too.

3. I'll guess a final four of UF, Michigan State, Creighton and KU.
  16. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    1. Phog Allen Fieldhouse and Pauley Pavilion

2. Move it out to the international distance

3. Kansas, UF, Louisville, Arizona
  17. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364

1. Cameron

2. Nah, it's fine where it is....but moving it back would could help open up the game more in half court sets. So either way....

3. UF, Zona, Memphis, UNC