Questions of the day: August 18, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 17, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    1. Florida seems to always be in the final two or three for big time recruits, but so often the Gators come up empty on signing day. What do you think is the single greatest factor that keeps the Gators from signing the top recruits in the country.

2. Would college basketball benefit from reducing the shot clock to 24 or 30 seconds from the current 35, or would a faster pace give the big conference schools that can recruit big name players an unfair advantage?

3. Who is the single most important recruit of the Billy Donovan era at Florida?
  2. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    I'll answer number 2. No on reducing the shot clock.
  3. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    1) BD's failure to play the game with their handlers...which I'm fine with.

2) No, leave the shot clock where it is.

3) Mike Miller.
  4. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    1. Billy D gets his fair share of big name recruits. The perception that UF misses out on top recruits is somewhat skewed by the fact that UF makes the top 3 of many recruits lists & we can't win them all.

2. No, I enjoy the pace of the college game & the ability of plays having time to progress.

3. Mike Miller, no doubt.
  5. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    1. Nothing, UF annually signs great players and has a roster stocked with great players. So I see nothing wrong with UF's recruiting and UF has two top 50 guys committed for 2014 and top big committed for 2015.

2. I am ok either way. I would like to see the 5 second call eliminated. Since you must shoot every 35 seconds, why is there a 5 second call?

3. This one is easy for me. It is either Dupay or Miller. McDonald's AA Dupay committing to UF early signaled to others that Donovan was legit. Miller showed Donovan could compete out of state with national powers.
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,568
    1) Bill's a 'soft sell'...unlike Calimari. NTTAWWT

2) Like our game at 35. The pros can afford less.

3) Mike Miller
  7. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    1. I agree with Louisville. Additionally, I think Billy is more honest with players wrt playing time, conditioning, going to class, not promising anything, etc.

2. NO. 35 allows at least some half court setup/strategy. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer it back at 45.

3. Mike Miller
  8. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    1. Lack of strong attendance.

2. 35 seconds is best. Anything else helps the defense too much, and defenses are already very strong right now.

3. Teddy Dupay.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    1. Billy goes after a lot of top players. He's an absolutely great coach, but often with these top players, the other hats on the table have great coaches too - and sometimes advantages in other areas on top of that (fan interest, facilities, perception as bball school). This is nothing unique about Florida though. Its how it works when you go after lots of top players. Just my opinion, I don't buy the "he doesn't play the handler game" notion as being relevant here. There also seems to exist little evidence that pandering to or promising kids PT or number of shots matters when it comes to landing them.

2. Looks like I'm in the minority, but I say drop it down to 30. I'd even be open to 24. More posessions makes it more likely that the better team is going to win. College basketball games are short enough and the season ends in a single elimination tournament.

3. Only the 04's were mostly responsible for Billy's titles. I'd have to go with one of them. The only reason I could see for naming someone else is if that player signified something bigger than just their own contribution. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing this might be some of the Mike Miller talk. I could be convinced of that.
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    1. BD does fine. He does require that his players be unselfish and that will translate into stats that may not be as gaudy as they could get elsewhere. Sometimes he has to convince players to be a bit more selfish, like Brad Beal.

2. Leave it alone. 30 seconds is for girls.

3. Mike Miller. His coming here and doing great opened the door for getting more great players from outside the state of Florida.
  11. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I agree with REM about number 1. It's nice to be a hat on the table, but when things get serious for a majority of these top kids, they tend to look at basketball schools. Where everyone eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. This site is pretty good with keeping up on the recruiting front, but not near as good as other basketball sites at the top schools. I would liken their basketball insiders to our football insiders. Fan interest to me hurts us the most. We are not 'into' basketball like other top programs. It's not the end of the world though. As long as Billy is here we can be very good. You don't have to sign 5 burger boys to be very good. I would say we are at the very top of the second tier. The only thing that seperates us from the 1st tier is fan support.
  12. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    Excellent responses.
    1. attendance hurts, Billy's honesty
    2. Leave it alone.
    3. Dupay and Miller
  13. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    To answer my own questions:

1. I think the reason is two-fold: (1) Opposing coaches like Calipari, Bill Self, Coach K and Roy Williams don't hesitate to bring up the fact that Florida doesn't sell out every game and that Florida fans head for the exits even with a game hanging in the balance; and (2) Billy won't play the under the table shoe money games with unscrupulous AAU coaches.

2. I think the ideal shot clock would be 30 seconds. It would increase the tempo a bit but still give a deliberate team plenty of clock to run off every possession. I think 30 is just right and 24 is a bit too much for the college game.

3. In this order: (1) Brent Wright because he picked Florida over Kentucky and was the first real recruiting coup for Billy; (2) Teddy Dupay because he opened the door to get Mike Miller and (3) Miller because he was the first top 10 recruit from outside the state of Florida.
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +823
    1) Elite bigs often go to historically elite basketball programs. There was a time I never thought we would even be in this discussion. Nevertheless, I still think we are at competitive disadvantage when recruting against UK, KU, Duke and a couple others.

2) Leave it alone.

3) Teddy Dupay.
  15. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    We do recruit a lot of star recruits. We win less than the blue bloods, but we still win a good amount of the battles.
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,568
    Did TD ever finish his jail sentence?:shhh:
  17. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
  18. hoopstar

hoopstar VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    1) Basketball Tradition. Blue Bloods have the history behind them & all that goes along with it. Large crowds that travel in mass, best dorms, dining & arena's with huge sell out crowds every game (except Duke). Heard Fla's dorms turned Randle off as soon as he stepped foot in them! Ky had ''Ritz'' like dorms & digs compared to Fla. Even had a chef to cook for them! His mom said Ky was the ''red velvet cake'' of college basketball! Tough to compete against cake!! Embiid picked the Jayhawks over Fla once he experienced the Phog & their 17k+ strong fans. Billy is the draw to UF - don't kid yourself otherwise! Without Billy, the elite don't consider or visit.
    2) Leave the clock, the arch, the rim height, the game in general & the rules alone. Game has been modified enough already!
    3) Dewayne Schintzius -7' (yes seven foot- not inches!!). High profile big man from one of the state's hottest teams back in the day - Brandon Eagles! Lot of folks wanted the big D. God bless the big Gator - went before his time. RIP DS!