Questions of the day: August 16, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. Which player do you believe is most critical to Florida's success in 2013 and why?

2. Should the NBA adapt a rule similar to baseball -- a player can be drafted out of high school but if he doesn't sign he has to remain in school until he is 21 -- or do you like the current one-and-done rule?

3. Who are the five best college basketball players you have ever seen either in person or on television?
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    1. I like the balance on the team, so I don't think we have a single most important player.

2. No

3. Kareem, Bird, Magic Johnson, David Thompson, Oscar Robertson

Hard to leave Bill Walton and Pistol Pete off the list, but who do you remove?

I didn't see Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell play in college, so I had to leave them off.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    1 - Patric Young. This team lost a lot of scoring last year, and Young has shown he's very capable of that. Him playing consistently (rebounding and scoring) would take a lot of pressure off of other guys. He often has his best games against the best competition. Just needs to do that against the mediocre guys too.

2 - Other than agents, I don't see anyone that likes the OAD rule. I'm ALL for it changing. To answer your question, yes, I'd take the baseball rule. But I'd also take it in a 2 year version or just go to two and done. Anything but what we have now.

3 - I'm only 31, so that limits me. Jordan, Lebron, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan. I've seen Magic, just don't really remember it.
  4. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. Kasey Hill. He's the quickest point guard the Gators have ever had. If Billy Donovan can get him to harness the speed and play within the parameters of the offense, he will take the Gators over the Elite Eight hump.

2. I would love to see a baseball rule where players could be drafted out of high school, but have until August 1 to sign. If not they would have to go to college and couldn't be drafted again until age 21. That, I think, would be fair. It certainly works well for baseball.

3. I saw all these guys in person during their college careers: My first five would be Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Peter Maravich, David Thompson, Bill Walton and Phil Ford. My second team would be Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Dan Issel, Michael Jordan and a tie for the final spot between Bobby Hurley and Al Horford. Horford, as Billy Donovan has told me, was like a coach on the floor. He has a basketball IQ that is through the roof and was the glue guy for back to back national titles. Anywhere but Florida he would have averaged 25 points a game.
  5. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +485
    You were in college a long time. :^)
  6. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Nothing like the 11-year plan. I highly recommend it.
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +901

1. Either Hill or DFS. We need a guy who can create his own shot.

2. No

3. Grant Hill, Steve Smith, Tim Duncan, Glenn Robinson, Patrick Ewing
    Guys in strong consideration Derrick Coleman, Ray Allen, Dwayne Wade, Kenny Anderson, Antwan Jamison, Kevin Durant
  8. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    1. Hill.
    2. Yes. Ridiculous that you are pretty much forced to attend a year of college to make a living PLAYING basketball in the US. Would be nice to have players around for 3 years.
    3. Just counting college
    That I saw in person: Shaq, Chris Jackson, Grant Hill, Barkley, Dominique
    On TV: Pistol Pete, Bird, Magic, Ewing, Chris Jackson
  9. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Should we be calling you Dr. Franz?
  10. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Just Franz will be fine although I think I still hold the NCAA record for most electives taken and passed with an A.
  11. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. I think it is Finney-Smtih. The common denominator in the last three seasons has been having either a tiny PG or a no legit 3. This season IF Finney-Smith is the 3 we think, then UF will have a normal sized PG and a legit 3. If not, UF could be back to a 3 guard offense again.

2. I would prefer that a player could be drafted out of high school or must stay 2 years rather than the MLB 3 years. That way you will not have guys who have a big Frosh year transferring to JUCOs to make themselves draft eligible.

3. My five best in person are:

A. Mike Miller: who show up at UF a pretty complete player.
    B. Joakim Noah: who as you know is relentless
    C. Lloyd Free: who I saw win a game taking a charge.
    D. George Karl: who I saw a Duke fan hit with a hotdog from the stands in warmups.
    E. Gary Brads who I saw score 40+ points in the first college game I ever saw.
  12. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Gary Bradds. You are dating yourself Insti, but he was one great Buckeye.
  13. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Yep, I was pretty young, had just live 3 years in a land where cricket and soccer were the main sports, so I knew little about basketball, but Bradds lit it up and help make me a fan in that one game.
  14. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,653
    I'm going to throw in another name here for question #3. David Robinson was one of the best players I've ever watched play college ball. The guy was phenomenal in my estimation.
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,262
    Sounds like you were on the Zonker Harris indefinite plan like I was :joecool:

I still laugh about the Doonesbury strip where Zonker had the rude awakening that he had enough credits to actually graduate - and be forced to leave -college ("This can't be right!"). I followed him in real life shortly thereafter, leaving the hallowed halls of UF after a mere 9 years of study (2 at Pensacola Jr College and 7 at UF). I could have contentedly lived the college life in Gainesville for many more years, except that the money was no good! (They don't pay much for those graduate assistantships :no: :geek:)
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,262
    But, doesn't the football model work even better?

(although in basketball I think you would have to keep it at 2 years; at 3 years, I think too many players would elect to head overseas)

I'm not nearly the fan of baseball that I am of football and basketball, so it's hard for me to judge this, but do you think the fact that college baseball lags so far behind college football & basketball in popularity has anything to do with not having the greatest players in the league?

To me, it means a lot - even if it's only one year - that the greatest basketball players around participate in "our" league (that is, the NCAA). B-level leagues are fine, but I'm drawn to watching leagues that have the best against the best.

I think there are other good reasons - besides my selfish fandom - for requiring players to pass through the NCAA before heading to the pros, but I'll start with that.
  17. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Regurgi,
    Why the football rule works is that maybe 1 in 100,000 high school kids could make the jump from high school to the NFL. In basketball, there are kids who are ready to go out of high school thanks to playing 80-100 AAU games in spring and summer since they were 12.
  18. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +485
    We don't want to to starve, but we also don't want you too comfortable, i.e. "Graduate" School becoming "Gradual" School.
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,262
    I don't see why that would prevent the football rule (but, at 2 years instead on 1 year) from working in basketball.

If there is a principle involved that shouldn't be violated (that anyone who is ready (or the player and owner(s) think is ready) should be allowed to go pro out of high school), then it would be consistent to allow players to go pro straight out of high school across the board, no matter how rare it is in football. (And, I don't think it would be as rare as some think in football.)

Personally, I don't see any inviolable principle at play here. The pro sports leagues should be able to make rules like this as they see fit, just as in my league (engineering) you can't go straight from high school to the pros even if you could come out of high school being able to design rings (or maybe a steel-reinforced concrete wall :geek:) around the competition.

But, leaving that aside, we've already seen (before the one-and-done rule) that every top basketball player - and some not so highly ranked - will go the pro route out of high school if at all possible. Yes, some who get picked in the 2nd round or not at all may re-think it and go to college. But, even a lot of those won't if they know they have to wait 3 years to go pro.

So, I think the baseball rule would put us close to where we were before the one-and-done rule. That is, a few special players will thrive (immediately or after a few years) going straight to the NBA. And, a boatload of wannabe star players will fall flat on their faces when some of them may have made it big (or at least not sent packing after a couple of years) if they'd gotten a little seasoning/maturing at the college level first.

And, adding a little speculation :grin:, I think the college game would almost cease to send any All-Star level players (representatives) into the NBA, which will lower the "buzz" and intermingling of fans of both leagues (college fans following star players into the NBA; NBA fans salivating at the thought of college players who have become stars on that level entering the NBA), and both leagues would suffer in popularity IMHO.

You didn't say, but do you think the lack of star players in college baseball has anything to do with it lagging in popularity compared to the other 2 big sports?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    1) Hill: I think he is the player Florida needs to hurlde into the Final Four.

2) I do not like either option. I think the league should set a minimum age and leave it at that.

3) My fanhood is divided into two eras. As a kid, I was an Iona fan. The players that WOWed me back then: Pearl Washington, Chris Mullin and Steve Burtt.
    Upon going to UF in '92, I became a Gator. I have watched some incredible players. Off the top of my head, I would have to list: Jason Williams, Tim Duncan, Jamal Mashburn