Questions of the day: August 15, 2013

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Aug 15, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. If you were asked to rate the top five coaches in college basketball, who would they be and why?

2. The Gators have come very close to landing some of the most highly touted players in the country in the past six years only to come up short. Which one hurt the most?

3. Kentucky and Florida have become the bell cows for SEC basketball. What do you think is the program ready to break through to become a consistent NCAA tournament team?
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    1 - Every poster is going to take "coach" a different way. Are we negating the effects of the school each coaches at? Are we talking x's and o's and the more technical basketball aspects of coaching only? I'm going to assume we're talking about every possible role the coach is supposed to fill - everything from drawing up a last minute play to handling the media and being a CEO for the whole basketball program.

1. Coach K. I actually like the guy and its hard to make a case for anyone else being in his league at this point when taking everything into account. He's had the advantage of having a very long career - many years of which were at a powerhouse program (that he built though).

2. Okay, I'm just going to have to ball up here - Calipari. I'm not going to pander to the crowd. You've got to understand that, unlike many of you, I don't put much stock in Cal's "shady" past. If I believed that he had knowledge that he was playing ineligible players in Camby and Rose, then I wouldn't have him ranked this high. I also have no problem with players benefiting from their own image, likeness or future earning potential (Camby). You don't have to agree with me, but do think about how the above beliefs would alter my perspective. Pitino (no fan of Cal) has said multiple times that Cal's job at Umass was one of the 3 best program building jobs in the history of college basketball. He turned around Memphis also. I DO believe that there are coaches (every coach on this list actually) that can do more with less talent than Cal can. But I think Cal can do more with more than any of them. IMO, no coach better at gettings egos checked at the door and getting players to play unselfishly and giving 100% on defense. I also think he doesn't get enough credit for adapting his offense to the players he has each year. He's also very very good when it comes to drawing up last minute plays. Recruiting is obviously a strength - one that goes well with "doing more with more..." I think this last year was the first year Cal hadn't reached the sweet sixteen in something like the last 8 seasons.

3. Donovan - I'm honestly close to swapping Cal and Billy D here. Its hard to think anyone would be above Billy other than K, if Billy coached at a "blue-blood" type school. What he's doing with the USA teams he's coached has been impressive. I don't need to tell you guys what he's done at UF. I've been open about wanting him at UK both times the job was available. In the end, its hard for me to measure how much coaching at Florida is a handicap for him.

4 - Self. He's had the most consistently dominant teams combined with deep runs in the tournament than any coach in the country recently. I haven't looked that up to be sure, but it definitely seems that way to me. He's not higher on the list, for me, because I think much of his recruiting success depends on his assistants - at least to a higher degree than these other coaches.

5 - Izzo. A run of 6 final fours in 12 years is mainly why I put him here. They'll be really good this year.

2. Hard to think anyone would have been more valuable a get for UF than Brandon Knight.

3. Tennessee. They just need the right coach. They had him in #3 of your last set of questions.
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    1. Coach K
    2. Izzo
    3. Boheim (Just because of his lengthy zone, master and innovator)
    4. Pitino
    5. Donovan

2 Mitch McGary

3 There isn't one, although LSU is my sleeper to make the elite 8
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    1)
    Donovan
    Izzo
    Coach K
    Cal
    Buzz Williams

2)
    Kwame (just saw this was supposed to be past 6 years, whoops)

3)
    Tennessee
  5. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    1) BD - smart, high energy, kids respect him, great teacher, knows x's & o's, gets the most out of his players, loyal to UF.
    2) Pitino - same as above minus loyalty
    3) Izzo - consistant, good recruiter, tough guy, knows the game, winner, kids love him, college coach, not pro's!
    4) Self - just plain good dude/person. Good leader, recruiter, knows the game, loyal guy, fans, students & players love him. Winner!
    5) Andy Enfield - Up & comer in the coaching profession. Has all the qualities to be a blockbuster coach. Time will tell, but he's a hell of a good young coach

2) Jojo Embiid - 7' big man that runs like a deer, can pluck a quarter off the top of the backboard, loves the game, fast learner, NBA talent that should be on campus right now! Imagine him with what we have now. Gators waited too long to make a move on him when he was begging to be a Gator! He puts the Gators over the top - good 2-3 year player. We will get to see him in Gainesville when Kansas comes a calling in several months!

3) Missouri. Even with an avg coach - they make the NCAA. Good basketball program addition to the SEC.
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    Jim Larranaga: Took a no-name to the Final Four and made UM relevant
    Rick Pitino: Duh!
    Billy Donovan: Made UF into a top program
    Coach K: Became the darling of ESPN which made college basketball a really big deal
    For the last spot I'd love to put Rick Majerus here, but RIP. I will leave it blank.

Julius Randle

Both, but UK has built in advantages to be just a little better most years.

(Added in edit): I think that you mean a team other than UF and UK. Bama, Ark, Vandy, UTand LSU have the history and fanbase to make it happen. I have no idea which team is closest.

(second edit): Add Missouri to the list.
  7. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    1. Coach K. I think this is pretty obvious.

2. Billy D. The guy is obviously in line to become one of the greatest coaches in a historic sense. Plus he is neon groomed to take over the USA basketball program. Billy is the next Coach K and I wouldn't be surprised to see him collect a few more national titles at Florida and a couple of gold medals for the USA.

3. Pitino. What can you say about the guy. Great coach, dresses like a pimp, looks like a gremlin and has sex in public. All the qualities of a good coach. His questionable character keeps him out of the top 2.

4. Izzo. He should probably be #3 on this list

5. Bill Self. He has been pretty consistent over the years and his recruiting prowess is obvious.

5a. Coach Cal. Great recruiter but that's about it.

Note - there are a number of guys that should be on this list and probably should be over Self and Cal. But I think Coach K and Billy are clearly the best the game has to offer, past, present and future.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Gotta admit, I forgot about Pitino (not sure how). He belongs on any top 5 list.
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    1. Coach K, Izzo, Billy D, Pitino & Crean

2. Not too recent, but I think Shavlik Randolf would have been a star at UF.

3. Tough call...I'll go with Tennessee.
  10. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. My top 5 are Mike Kryzyzewski, Rick Pitino, Bill Self, Billy Donovan and Tom Izzo.

2. Patrick Patterson. If he signs with UF, the Gators make the NCAA easily in 2008, are no worse than Sweet 16 in 2009, and in the hunt to win it all in both 2010 and 2011.

3. Tennessee has a chance to become like those Purdue teams under Gene Keady, who just happened to coach Cuonzo Martin. They beat you to death defensively and run that offense that takes 30 seconds off the shot clock every time down the floor.
  11. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. A. Donovan
    B. Self

Two guys at their prime who either of whom might end up as the all time winningest D1 coach.

C. Izzo: A tough defensive minded guy who coaches his team up above their talent.

D. Calipari: Great recruiter, better coach than many will admit.

E. Beilein: I liked his UWVa teams and think he has Michigan going.

2. Probably the recruit hurt the most was Brandon Knight. UF was is terrible shape for guards then and not signing him force UF to keep starting a guy who was recruited to be a career backup offensive spark.

3. Based on including Beilein above, I should and will say Michigan.