Questions of the day: 5 fouls, Marshall Henderson, All-Florida

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ufla5220, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    1. For years there has been talk about the 5-foul rule. Some say six fouls is appropriate with the speed of today’s game. Others say ditch the foul out rule altogether and perhaps give two shots and the ball for every foul beyond five. Should the rule change at all and if it should change what would you suggest?

2. Marshall Henderson is enrolled and back in school at Ole Miss. Given his history with drugs, do you think Ole Miss is right to give Henderson another chance or is this a case of a school with a win at all costs attitude?

3. The state of Florida has produced some rather outstanding basketball talent over the years. What would be your top five players ever from the state (high school or college)? Your top ten?
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. I am ok with the 5 foul rule. I just think if the game goes to OT everyone, including player who fouled out of regulation should get an extra foul. Maybe an extra foul for every two OTs.

2. I have no problem giving a player with a drug history a 2nd, 3rd or 10th chance. As long as he is not leading his teammates into similar bad behavior.

3. Top five high school players in Florida history: PG: Frank Johnson (Lake Weir and Wake), SG: Vernon Maxwell (Gainesville Buchholtz and UF), Vince Carter (Daytona Mainland and UNC), Mychal Thompson (Miami Jackson and Minnesota), Daryl Dawkins (Orlando Evans). I am sure I have left out lots of guys like Haslem, Birdsong, etal who could easily be on this list.
  3. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    1) 5 strikes & you're out! Advantage to the D if more afforded.
    2) Rehab the heck out of him. Better off playing than laying around doing drugs. Catch & punish those around him feeding him the poison. Better to locate the sources & punish the hell out of them. Cut off the flow!
    3) ''Sudden'' Sam MaCants, Otis Birdsong, Daryl Dawkins. Artis ''A Train'' Gilmore (Chipley FL) - but played in Dothan, Amare Stoudamire. Teddy D, Chris Corchiani, Frank Ford, Austin Rivers & Pat Young
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    1. The game is already too physical. If you allow more fouls, it'll only get worse.
    2. Henderson is a jerk, but kids deserve extra chances for our silly drug laws.
    3. Hard to say. Dawkins and Gilmore. Vince Carter. Some other guys.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    1. I wonder if we'd all have the same take if the game was officiated with much less freedom given to defenders to hack, grab, pull, etc? Teams would have to adjust and the game would be much more pleasant to watch IMO. I say stick with 5 fouls. I like the fact that teams without depth are gambling, in a way, and teams with depth are able to play more aggressively.

2. Win at all costs. If he were the 10th guy, in terms of playing time, would he still be on the team? I'd have a hard time cheering for someone who cares that little about following the rules. I don't think drugs are a minor problem (he's not just smoking weed if I remember correctly) and don't think that drug laws are silly. Keep in mind I've become biased in this area because of my experience as a counselor - seeing the effects drugs have, etc.

3. I don't know, but would David Robinson count? He was born in Fla but I'm not sure how long he stuck around.
  6. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,685
    Cut off the flow! Wishful thinking a finger in the Hoover damn...
  7. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Indeed. If the "war on drugs" has proven anything it is that as long as the demand exists (and that means price) suppliers will find a way. I am somewhat ambivalent about hard drugs, but mj in particular should be legal taxed and regulated like beer.

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +471
    1. Five fouls is fine.

2. I think that it sends a bad signal to your team that there are different rules for different players.

3. If we are including guys that played college ball in Florida you would have to include Rick Barry.
  9. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Ah, I forgot about Rick Barry. Dave Cowens probably deserves a mention here too.
  10. Singaporegator

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Neal Walk wasn't born in Florida but he moved there when he was six, went to high school there and is still, I think, UF's all time rebounder. Does he count?

11. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Give them 6 fouls.

Henderson needs to have a chat with Chris Herron. He doesn't need to be ostracized from society or anything, but I think he lost the privilege or representing my university.
  12. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Answers to my own questions:

1. I am intrigued by the idea of two shots and the ball for the opposing team for every foul after the fifth, but I favor sticking with the five foul rule.

2. Henderson has had drug issues in high school, his first D1 school, juco and now Ole Miss. I'm not sure how many chances you can continue to give him.

3. My first five and this includes high school kids and those who PLAYED college basketball in the state:

1. Rick Barry, Miami; 2. Dave Cowens, FSU; 3. Artis Gilmore, Chipley/JU; 4. Otis Birdsong, Winter Haven/Houston; 5. Vince Carter, Daytona Beach Mainland/North Carolina.

My second five:

1. Tracy McGrady, Auburndale; 2. Howard Porter, Sarasota/Villanova; 3. Al Horford, Florida; 4. Mychal Thompson, Miami Jackson/Minnesota; 5. Mitch Richmond, Ft. Lauderdale Boyd Anderson/Kansas State

My third five:

1. Amare Stoudamire, Orlando Cypress Creek; 1A. Neal Walk, Miami Beach/Florida; 2. Walt Wesley, Ft. Lauderdale Dunbar/Kansas; 3. Sam Cassell, FSU; 4. Bob Sura, FSU; 5. Joakim Noah, Florida

My fourth five:

1. Vernon Maxwell, Gainesville Buchholz/Florida; 2. Eddie Johnson, Lake Weir/Auburn; 3. Frank Johnson, Lake Weir/Wake Forest; 4. Gregory Lowery, West Palm Beach Roosevelt/Texas Tech; 5. Otto Moore, Miami Dunbar/Pan American
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +471
    Mitch Richmond is a very under appreciated player. I would move him into my first 5. Too bad he was a 2-guard in the NBA during the MJ era.
  14. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +695
  15. Singaporegator

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Got to agree that he should at least get a mention! He still holds the career and single game records for rebounds and I thing the record for points per game for a season. Plus he lead us to our first ever post season appearance. Yes, it was the NIT but this was 1969 ( or thereabouts:)). He played seven years in the NBA and when he lost the use of his legs was a big time wheelchair basketball player. He went #2 in the draft behind that guy Lew something or other.

16. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    That was a mistake on my part. He was supposed to be there on the second team but I somehow overlooked it when I was typing. No excuse. I blew it.
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    1) 5 seems to be working fine. I have not seen an inordinate number of plates fouling out.

2) This is a tough one. I a fine with the decision to welcome him back, but I think this kid is a powder keg on controversy. Aside from his antics, didn't he recently say he is sick of playing and not getting paid? He does not seem like the type with a .ot of self control, and those sort of commend would scare the hell out of me if I were a rebel fan.

3) I would have to spend hours debating such a list!
  18. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Beats sitting around doing nothing about the problem. The source or well is the problem. It's a huge problem - agree. Having an apathetic attitude towards stemming the issue is an even bigger issue.
  19. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Do away with foul shots all together. The team that draws the fouls keep the ball even if they make the shot. Foul shots slows the flow of the game too much.
  20. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    1. Call MORE fouls. Too much bumping & holding goes on in today's basketball. When refs lay down the law & players/coaches get the message, five fouls will be plenty. Additional fouls to give will likely make for a wrose situation.
    2. Give him a chance, but with strict, zero tolerance rules.
    3. As far as home-grown talent, Sam McCants' name should be thrown into the mix.