Questions for Gator fans ...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Rooster, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    .... but first, thank you for the HBC. Seriously, he's still a Gator at heart and will be back living among you one day. For now, we're proud to have him with us and appreciate y'all sharing him - even though we'll never be more than his second love I guess.

With that out of the way ...

It's a foregone conclusion that he'll retire with more years, as a coach, at SC than at UF. Is that significant in any way to Gator fans?

Any regrets losing him the way you did? I've heard all the different stories, always just figured he felt it was time for him to move on.

Do you ever find yourself amazed at what he is beginning to accomplish at Carolina? Did you ever have any doubts that he would be able to do what he has done so far?

Will the HBC win a Conference Championship at SC before he retires in your opinion?

Were you aware that when Spurrier signed his latest contract extension through the year 2018, it included a clause that makes him a consultant/advisor to the program even if he retires as the head coach?

Will UF ever consider doing the same for him when he comes home?

The general consensus here is that the clause was added to his contract to keep him around and near his family. Bubba and Missy, (she is a big dog in our School of Nursing from what I understand), are loved and entrenched around here, their kids were born here, at least three or four of them, and Bubba may have earned a shot at the HC job when the HBC finally decides to hang-up his coaching britches. Any thoughts about that possibility?

And finally, do you see SC declining once he leaves, or do you believe Spurrier has put Carolina on the right track, established some precedent for success and gotten us over the hump against our rivals up in Clemson like he did for you over UGA? I can't remember, did he have a winning record against FSU while at UF?

He seems to be having a lot of fun doing "firsts" here. Everything he does has never been done before. He's got carte blanch. He is king of his domain here, beloved and held in ultra high regard. Are most of you happy for him, even glad to see him doing well?

It's the off season so I appreciate your time. BTW, congrats on the series win in Columbia. Good to see the Diamond Gators back on track this season. You make the SEC East the superior division when you are playing well.
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Forgot one question.

What do you think of Brad Lawing so far?

IMHO he is one of the finest DLine coaches in the country, bar none. And he is also one helluva recruiter, teacher, motivator and just a solid person as well. No matter what happens, y'all would do well to keep him around as long as possible.
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281
    He is the head gator, that will never change, you guys are lucky to have him, he should have never left uf, he knows that and the powers at uf know that everybody got too big for their britches. No idea on lawing, too early to pass judgement for me.
  4. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,726
    Good post. This thread will get interesting fast! I think most gator fans will always have a soft spot for the OBC. I generally pull for Carolina unless we need them to lose for obvious reasons. (SEC championship)

I always believed he would come back to Gainesville, and retire here after his coaching days were finished. But he keeps adding more and more distance between us, (UF) and Carolina, with every year that goes by. When he does retire, I think he's made Carolina a much more appealing job. He's proven you can win there. (Consistently)

I will say this, though, nobody wants to follow a legend. Whoever your AD is, you better hope he snags a good one.

And remember, he'll always be our OBC, you're just borrowing him! :)
  5. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    A lot of questions and don't have too much time to answer all of them--but to one impt one: yes, I wish him well and am happy to see him doing well at Carolina. I root for y'all whenever you aren't playing the Gators (and I can't say that for very many SEC schools); and yes, I too share a soft spot for the OBC.

I look forward to the day when he comes back to Gainesville after he retires. I realize he'll have a welcome place in Columbia--but there's history here that he'll never have in Colombia (starting QB and Heisman trophey winner, etc).
  6. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    I miss him- he's the greatest Florida Gator of all time no one else comes close IMO. I always pull for him whenever we aren't playing Carolina and would be disappointed if he stayed at Carolina longer than UF but that's his call to make and wouldn't blame him for it
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,950
    Kind words and welcome to the board.
    Extension or not, there are no foregone conclusions when it comes to SoS. As for the question, not a bit to me. Spurrier is a Gator graduate and football player. He coached our first SEC and national championships. If he coaches longer at USCe than in G'ville means nothing to me. Some other Gators may feel differently.
    Not anymore. It hurt when he left, but time heals (most) all wounds. I'm a big fan of SoS and of Foley, so any of the stories do not matter to me.
    No and no
    Not if we have anything to say about it. ;) But seriously . . . I wouldn't doubt it and I wouldn't bet on it either.
    No. And as for UF, I doubt it.
    Yes - it's almost impossible not to decline after losing a coach the caliber of Spurrier. No he did not have a winning record against F$U. He faced them during their most dominant stretch in their history. Also their dirtiest, but it appears they are recently doing their best to achieve new lows there.
    I root for Spurrier. But I want the Gamecocks beneath the Gators in the standings every year.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    No Gator fan doubts Spurrier. So we aren't surprised at all at what he's done there. I'm actually surprised he hasn't done more...which is crazy because he's been insanely good.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    This was totally and ironically coincidental, but this article was just minutes ago posted to my Gamecocks Update app. I just read this myself five minutes ago and it kind of caught me by surprise.

http://is.gd/4efpEc
  10. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,726
    How can a team that yells "go cocks", ever be taken seriously? Lol

Go Gators
    Go Dawgs
    Go Tigers (all three) Mizz, LSU, Auburn
    Go Vols
    Go Cocks?

:)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    Rooster:

Good post and the right way for a rival fan to ask questions and get legitimate responses.

To your questions, short of winning a national championship as USC, which I don't think will happen, Spurrier's legacy will probably always be tied in what he did at UF. I don't think it makes any difference how many years he's at USC.

Spurrier has done great things at USC. More than I expected to be honest. I really thought that his NFL experience had kind of zapped his will, but he really overcame that. But Spurrier was in the prime of his career at UF.

I don't regret how we lost him. I think there was really blame on both sides. Our fan expectations got a little bit out of control, so I understand why he left, but I think he made a hasty decision and a decision I think he regrets to this day. There was fault on both sides as far as I see it.

I think that when Spurrier "retires" he will probably do consulting for UF, USC and anybody else who wants him, other than FSU, UT, UGA or Clemson. ;)

As for USC's future, I think it's going to totally depend on who replaces him. He's certainly set the table and made USC a MUCH more desirable job than when he arrived, but the future is going to totally depend on who replaces him. Spurrier did great at Duke, but when he left the program suffered. He did great at UF, but when he left, the program suffered. I expect the same when he leaves USC. But what Spurrier has done, I think, is to instill an expectation of winning in the fans and alumni that USC has never had before. Whoever replaces him will be expected to win, which has never been the case before.

I am VERY happy for Spurrier and very proud of what he's accomplished at USC, and to be very honest with you, I'm also happy for the South Carolina fans. They have always been great and loyal fans, even during the decades of mediocrity. Your fans deserve to experience the level of success he's brought there.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,329
    It's not a foregone conclusion. He'll likely catch you off guard the same way he caught us off guard. But no, I don't think it is significant either way.

I'm not sure what you mean by regrets. I wish he didn't leave. I was sad when it happened. But I understood it. I guess I do regret that some fans became so entitled under Spurrier's term here that he felt not as appreciated as he should. I remember one year... 1998 I think, we were beating Auburn by 20 something points at halftime and the crowd boo'd as the team left the field because we weren't scoring enough points.

I had doubts after his first couple of year there when USC was struggling. But he's really turned it around with some big time home grown recruits, and solid coaching hires.

50/50. I think he's missed some really great opportunities in recent years as UF, uga, and UT have all had some really bad years in his time at USC. And I don't think that will go on forever.

I mean... losing last year to UT is inexplicable. Not only cost him a chance at the SECCG, but maybe even an NC.

Yes.

No idea. I really can't see him in that role. Way too much politics and shaking hands and sucking up to everybody. I just can't seem him doing that. This is the guy that wouldn't even suck up to Emmitt Smith to get him to stay one more year.

Do the sons of coaching legends ever work out? Dooley? Holtz? Sounds like a bad idea, and if it doesn't work out and you have to fire him, that's only going to cause some bitterness from Spurrier.

Long term after he leaves USC will be much better off. Short term, you almost have to have some bumps in the road as you really just can't replace him.

Yes, I'm happy for him, but I still want him to lose at least one game per year.
  13. gatrpe

gatrpe Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +339
    Big Spurrier fan here. Was a student at UF when he played and been a fan ever since, in the NFL, USFL, Ga Tech, Duke and UF. UF is indebted to him in so many ways. The statue outside The Swamp and the Ring of Honor recognition inside are acknowledgements of the indebtedness.

Having said that, I continue to have heartburn about the way he left us , not that he left us. If there was ever a HBC who had the University in his heart it was SOS. He was not a mercenary hired gun, aka UM. So when he decided that he had enough (regardless of the reasons), I would have hoped that he would have given Foley enough heads up so that Foley could have lined up the successor (and SOS even played a role in the selection) such that SOS could have announced his departure, and Foley immediately followed with the announcement of the new coach.

As it was, Foley was left to conduct a very public search that wound up with less than satisfactory results.

Still like the guy though!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    I hated the way he left but after a while my anger faded. I think that if he stayed at Florida we'd have won multiple SEC and National championships because he is a great coach and Florida has a lot of talent in the state.. I played intermural Basketbalal gainst SOS and he was good at everything. I wish him continued success but not against the Gators.
  15. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +467
    The quantity of his time there is of no significance to me. The quality of his time in Hogtown will never be matched elsewhere.

Losing him to the Redskins or losing him to the Cocks? He needed to try his hand in the pros, nothing wrong there. He wanted the return gig on a sliver platter, no questions asked. He needed to come in for an interview, he didn't want to, so no ill will there.

Don't see him winning a trophy at USC.

See USC slipping back #4 spot in the SEC East.

I think when he retires, he retires (no consulting).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Always liked him as our coach, a lot because he pizzed off the rivals (especially FSu and UGA). I think that the blame for him leaving was equal. Some fans became entitled, but he created that through success and if he has that success for such a duration at any other school, he will create that there as well. It is the nature of fans. I think his "appreciation" should be in a check that he gets as he is doing a job-for money. Big money. If I were to get paid on the likes of a FBS HBC, you can call me a poopy head every day of the week as I do my job as long as my boss is happy with me and I am still getting my paychecks. I just never could make myself feel sorry for him over that. It came off as surprisingly whiney to me from such a competitor.

With all that being said, I will always root for him to do well. He likes the challenge and I totally understand that. The journey is more exciting to him that sitting at the top looking around. I identify with that. In my life as I have gotten good at something (sports and leisure wise), I have tended to move on to a new challenge. So to me, OBC, HBC and SOS only mean one person, now and forever. I took money from FSu for a year, but I was always a Gator (long boring story). You can have two allegiances. Coaches and players don't see it quite the same as fans.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    We are not surprised. He won at Duke. He took UF to never before seen heights. He should win a conference title there, but the SEC is too tough to make it a given. USCe is set on the right track if they make the right hire to follow him. The potential is there because of him and because they are in the SEC.