Questions about Auburn's offense

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DieAGator, Dec 7, 2013.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,175
    DieAGator- For the sake of your sanity and ours....... let it go man. He was speaking to a certain group of fans so if you aren't one of those who were heckling / criticizing our players than he wasn't directing it at you.

We like to think we've read and are in the know about everything but the truth is we don't know about what goes on with the coaches and players when the camera isn't on.

No way to know if a player shared a bunch of tweets with coach where some ignorant person was actually blasting ours players. Or any other forms of communication where people really are berating players because of this season that the staff and players would know about or had seen and that we would know nothing about.

I would like to think people wouldn't talk about a bunch of kids who just play a game we love to watch but but they do... i don't see it here on GC but they do on the other social media forms.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    LOL yes we do
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,214
    Malzahn's offense (at least this year) more or less is the triple option. It's just typically run with a motion receiver as the third option rather than a two back set with the fullback as the third option.
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,891
    Did it look like we adapt to our players? Was it frustrating?

You know that how?

That's just wild speculation. And even if true, why would he call out one ignorant fan? Makes no sense.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    Auburn had the #2 class in 2011, which will be playing against the team with the #1 class.
  6. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,175
    He said it was directed at a small group of people and not indicative of our fan base as a whole. I believe He was questioned about his remarks afterwards and reiterated it was to a small group of fans who take their criticism too far and direct it at his players.

Muschamp doesn't strike me as the type to be scared to say what he's thinking so why would he fabricate a story of fans taking their criticisms too far toward the players. THAT doesn't make any sense either. It actually sounded more of a challenge for them to direct ALL criticism at him and him only, rather then the players since as we all know he's paid well to take it.

That post wasn't in any disrespect to you but more of a - let it go, like Pease and Davis . It's a new beginning and we don't have any where to go from here but up :)
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,891
    Yeah but I think that's just a load of BS, sorry. He had no choice but to say that. The only reason anyone would be criticizing his players is because of the performance on the field. He should be taking the blame. But fwiw, didn't he blame the players some this season? Seems to me he did that often enough just pointing out mistakes they made, or by putting a loss on the defense, even when the defense didn't seem to have lost the game for us.

Sure it does, he had just lost what, our 5th game in a row?

Actually, it's more like "paid well and deserved it". The last thing he should want is his players taking criticism for the failures in planning, scheming, adapting.

Ok, "Pease out" and uhhh, can't think of anything to do with "Davis".
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +58

Easy does it....let's not crown him yet....2 , 1 in ten thousand wins and small sample size....performance over time....

If he repeats success next year, then I will perk up. Just not convinced. I do think auburn is unique, always seems to have good players, easy to get into, talent in state, etc. I know you can't argue some of the numbers they put up, but it's still early. We will see...
  9. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    It is early and he has to keep it up for a while, but Malzahn has been golden everywhere he has been. At Tulsa the offense was insane. One season it had 7500 yards of total offense. I think AU's offense gets better next season as scary as it sounds. The turnaround he has done at AU has been the fastest turnaround I can remember.
  10. acumen

acumen New Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    And lost roughly 50% of them to academic failures or off-the-field issues. Tons of AU's best recruits from the Chizik era are gone. AU had a problem with thugs (off the field stuff). We had one very embarrassing armed robbery that resulted in 4 felony arrests, etc. We also had a couple of players who were killed in a shooting (wasn't their fault, they were victims of some punk they knew in HS).

Chizik was horrible on discipline. He didn't even make the weight room mandatory.

Malzahn comes in and fired EVERYONE. I mean he fired assistants, secretaries, GA's, and fired the strength and conditioning coach who had been there 12 years. A lot of AU people were mad that he fired Coach Yox (S&C coach), but Malzahn didn't care. He nuked the football program. He brought in most of his offensive assistants from Arkansas St., grabbed Ellis Johnson (Spurrier's old DC), Rodney Garner (from UGA), Clemson's DB coach, and went to work.

Gus's success and influence on offenses in CFB is evident. Even Will Muschamp said the other day he wants to start running the HUNH (in other words, copy Gus). Other schools will start doing it. It will become the norm in 3 years. And Saban will cry and keep trying to ban it. That's what I love about it.

Gus didn't invent the zone read (Rich Rod I think gets most of the credit). He didn't invent the Wildcat (but he was one of the first to popularize it in college). He didn't invent the Wing-T or the HUNH. What he did do is combine all of this into a weird HUNH, triple-option (out of the shotgun), zone read, play-action offense.

It's the wishbone out of the shotgun. That's basically what it is. Instead of 3 RB's, it is a QB, a RB and another speed back who goes into motion to fake a sweep (or take it on the sweep). When Marshall takes the ball, the tailback and sweep back converge at the same time so the D never knows who is going to get the ball. The TB could get it, the sweep back in motion could get it, or Marshall could run it. Hence the triple option. And finally, Marshall can fake it to both of them and throw it on play action, which usually results in an open receiver because most everyone stacks the box against AU. And Marshall is very good at faking the hand-offs. Every game the cameraman gets fooled numerous times.

That's ALL the offense is. It always looks the same. The formation changes hardly any at all, but the plays and blocking after the snap changes a lot. So defenses have nothing to adjust *to* pre-snap. Then when you factor in the HUNH, all the fakes, sweeps, and options, the defenses are confused. And since it is HUNH, the defenses cannot substitute (which means they can't adjust without calling time-outs). This is what Saban complains about non-stop. His defenses are 100% reliant on substituting to get his superior athletes matched up with inferior ones.

But people think all Gus can do is run the ball. Wrong.

When Gus was at Tulsa his offenses set all kinds of passing records. In 2007, Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season. In 2008, Tulsa finished as the 2nd highest scoring offense in NCAA football history.

His first year at AU in 2009, he set AU passing records with Chris Todd. Chris freakin Todd. School records with a guy who ran like a snail and threw the ball like my grandma.

In 2010 at AU (with Cam) he broke most every AU record on offense. Cam Newton had the best single season of any QB in NCAA history (pass efficiency was the best ever, I believe).

This year (without Cam) he has broken most every record set by Cam's team. Tre Mason beat Cam's TD record and beat Bo's single game rushing record. Mason had like 320 or so yards vs Mizzou.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    I don't know about a grip, but you definitely need a clue.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  12. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    We'll have to see if he can put together a defense to go along with the firepower.
  13. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    Very good breakdown. Thank you. That's the scary thing... when the right QB is in place, this offense is not one dimensional. I personally believe Marshall is limited in the passing games but Malzahn limits his reads and therefore makes him very efficient. You know what good coaches are supposed to do. However, if you look at Malzahn's past when he has a good QB, he opens it up more. Malzahn and Newton was an example of a coach having his dream QB. Kind of like Meyer having Tebow and Harvin. But Malzahn can adjust so well even if he doesn't have the perfect QB. You can bet Saban is going to be spending countless nights the next 365 days studying this offense. That is as good of a compliment as one can receive.
  14. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +304
    Ellis built a pretty good D at SC. Malzhan was smart getting him as a DC. Give him another year of recruiting and Auburn could be scary good on that side of the ball also.
  15. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    I don't disagree. My point was more about Malzahn being a genius for having a good year with a one sided team while WM's good year with a one sided team was "luck."
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +758
    Lots of scoring in the title game. But of course we have been convinced that we can only win if we shut out the other side with lots of playing time from our punter.