Question for the negative crowd...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 2, 2013.

1. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,162
    If we punch in that last TD instead of letting the clock run out, and the final is 31-6...still with 400 yards of offense and a suffocating defense, do some of you feel better today?

I dont think the final score was indicative of just how well we played on BOTH sides of the ball...especially as undermanned as we were.

We moved the ball at will, controlled TOP, smothered them on defense.

Scoreboards are deceiving sometimes. What I saw was a blowout. 31-6 would have looked better, and I believe kept some of you calmer. :wink:

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    I think 31 would have made me feel better about things. I can not lie.
  3. gatorboy27

gatorboy27 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Plus there was the Patton play where that couldve lead to another TD. I saw a better, improved offense. And I honestly think the coaches took the foot off the pedal.

Easily colder been 31 or 38 points.
  4. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    that first game doesnt really matter since it's just one game. now when we play another few teams on toledo's level that we're supposed to hang 30+ on easily and can only muster up 24, i'll start getting annoyed.
  5. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    My disappointment (maybe disappointment isn't the right word) is that we've been waiting all off season to see how much our passing game has improved. Has our offense grown to the next level and added the dimension that it needs to?

Toledo does not have a good defense. We knew we could run on Toledo all day and been super effective. We could have run for 400 yards against Toledo and my worries about the offense would still be there because of the lack of a vertical passing game.

The passing game has noticeably improved a bit just because the individual pieces have gotten better - Jeff is better, the receivers are better, and the line is pass blocking better.

But schematically, we saw more of the same as we've seen the last 2 years.

I'm not gonna freak out until this becomes a trend, but I really hope we show more in the games to come.
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +479
    the scheme is nothing like what Weis ran.

and I'm not sure why we should expect Pease's scheme to be different from one year to the next?
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    unless you bet on the game I think that is weird
  8. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I think 41-6 should have been the actual score, if we don't fumble in the red zone, miss the field goal, and complete one more drive..... I believe we played really well, but we haven't had a great track record with offense the last few years so the casual fans that went to the game are understandably concerned.
  9. gators8

gators8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    Nah, 14-0 sounds better than 10-0.
  10. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,162
    Exactly. Truth is some dont realize they are complaining about a low score more than they are complaining about the actual nuts and bolts of our offense, which I feel looked better as a group.

This was a never in doubt from the opening drive type of game.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  11. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yes I would feel one touchdown better. Honestly I think the "negatives" look at how much we dominated the LOS and how well we moved the ball on the ground (and through the air at times in the first half) and wonder how the heck that only translated into 24 points.

The answer is when you have very few big plays and you're only picking up 8, 10, 12 yards at a time (which is great, don't get me wrong) you can get bogged down by 1 holding penalty or 1 sack or 1 tipped pass that could result in having to punt while you're attempting to put together a 10+ play drive to the end zone. Not to mention how much time you kill off the clock on those types of drives.

We're making it really difficult on ourselves to score points. You need to hit big scoring plays.

So to answer your question, if Taylor punches it in there at the end, probably not much of a difference. But if we added 1 more TD that was a 70 yard bomb to Dunbar, then I bet you wouldn't be hearing much from the "negatives". People have been waiting nearly 5 years to see a passing game that can get behind and over the top of a defense and I don't blame them if they're getting impatient and frustrated. That's a long time.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  12. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    One of you said it perfect. We knew we could run on Toledo. Credit the staff for understanding that, and following through with the plan.
  13. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I agree with this. Just looking at the nuts and bolts I noticed that the OL blocked much better. I noticed Driskel looking more comfortable in the pocket. I noticed receivers finding open space. With all of those things, you know that they'll be fine and the passing plays will come. And you're right about the opening drive, you could just tell the game was already over, just would have been nice to duplicate that drive a couple of more times as easy as it was (or we made it look).

I think some people still might be trying to figure out our whole coaching philosophy when it comes to offense. WM is still a relatively new head coach and even though he continues to talk about having to generate more big passing plays, we just haven't seen it in his time here. Just makes you wonder if Driskel is not seeing them and not pulling the trigger, or if WM coaches him that way and prefers the underneath passing game. He's such a defensive guy, sometimes it makes you wonder if hes so concerned with putting the defense in a bad position that he puts the reigns on the offense. It sounds crazy, why wouldn't a coach want to get fast, easy points through the air? But until we see it, it just makes you wonder. Nothing wrong with that.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,572
    I don't think Muschamp would be real worried about picks on long passes. If it is a pick, it should be roughly like a punt.

He's probably more worried about the problem we had in this game - our QB turning it over behind the LOS. Or taking a sack.

I think we just need to get JD comfortable giving guys like Robinson, Fulwood and Dunbar a chance to go make a play once in awhile.
  15. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452
    Would have been a nice reward for the players in the game, but no difference to me. Agree, game was a blowout as it should have been.

Now if the score had come on a deep pass, can't lie, that would have been exciting. I expect one of our DBs to score this week, hopefully at least one WR makes it also.
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    He does not want TO's period. He would not be happy with a pick on 2nd and 7 even if it was a long pass.
  17. ametcalf

ametcalf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I see an offense that is getting better. I also see an offense that believes in what they're doing, and I really like the energy J. Harrison gives off concerning his passion in the line's effort. This team is not soft and they're hungry to prove that they're somebody. In addition, the passing game looked better. It's a work in progress..but the team really did look better as a whole on Saturday. It will be nice to have M. Jones back, and hopefully his return is seamless.

I'm hoping that as the receivers get more time in the system that their production goes up. We saw two Fr WR on Saturday, w/ only one getting a reception...but still, the playing time is priceless. Miami is going to be a good test for us. I know that our guys are going to be jacked for this game!!
  18. HisDoc

HisDoc Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Obviously, I think more points makes anyone feel better. Once again, our scoring efficiency and ability to punch it in when in the redzone was pathetic.

Could we have scored more against Toledo if we needed to? I am quite sure we could have. But the defenses we will be playing from here on out will make Toledo's look like a HS defense. We need to be able to get into the dang end zone more if we want to get back to Atlanta. Period.
  19. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Our last drive ate up the final 6:47 of the game. That's exactly what Muschamp wanted. He could have tacked on another TD, but he chose not to. We didn't need any more points. This is not a guy that runs up the score.
  20. ncg8or

ncg8or Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    We need to show that we have the scheme and QB/WR's to complete passes 15+ yards from the LoS. That's what we were supposedly working on this summer, that's what we were supposed to be better at this year, that's what would make the negative nellies feel better, but it didn't happen against Toledo.

When we went down 24-3 against Lousville, you felt it was over...we need to show something on offense this year that gives the team confidence they can move the ball and put points up in a hurry if the D has a bad game.

However, if Patton catches that ball and takes it in for the score, it really sort of changes this discussion, so there's hope yet!