Question for the board, my son Will

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by dadx4, Aug 4, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,842
    I think the message he's giving you - and one I have in the past - is to not put all of your eggs in that basket.

I played in college and when I was your son's age I, my family and coaches thought I'd go farther than that. You never know. But I ended up with two degrees and a very wide skillset. I cannot imagine where I'd be had I kept following that dream, but I doubt it would be the MLB.

It's a game primarily and a game exclusively at your son's age. Don't try to plan for the dreams, let whatever happens happen. Give him a lot of options.
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +927
    I do...it was funny the other day I suggested he try soccer and he looked at me like I had three heads. I will ask him again to try out for football and maybe basketball for the high school he starts this fall. He does play tennis with me, maybe that's another sport that I can get him to do that is actually structured.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,842
    lol, I don't just mean sports. My point is the odds are so astronomical when it comes to sports ...
  4. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +927
    Oh believe me I know...it's 1 in 10,000 kids make it to MLB. I would be thrilled if he could just do well enough to play college ball somewhere. I have a horror story for you. I have a cousin that played catcher and at one time was the 13th ranked catcher in the country, signed to play for the Vols. His freshman year he had to have Tommy John surgery, his sophomore year when he was good to go the Vols signed an All American from high school, he ended up playing for a small school in Tennessee after he transferred. He is still somewhat upset about the whole ordeal. He's been out of baseball now for about 6 years.