Question For Posters Who Are Pro-Choice

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Dec 9, 2013.

1. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +499
    In particular this is a question for those who support a woman's right to have an abortion and who also believe that homosexuality is an innate characteristic rather than a choice or a product of one's environment.

If homosexuals are indeed born that way, then at the rate genetic science is progressing it is conceivable that before long scientists might be able to isolate the "gay gene" and determine in utero whether a fetus is likely to turn out to be homosexual or not.

If this determination could be made as early as the first trimester and therefore within the time frame that a woman is legally allowed to have an abortion, would you support a woman's right to abort her gay child because she only wants to have heterosexual offspring?

I am interested in answers to the question, not challenges to the premise of it please.
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,258
    I have often speculated that this could cause a split in the democratic base. Abortion can be a deciding issue for some.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    The reason why doesn't matter for me since it's not my decision.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,319
    The homosexual angle puts a twist on it, but the idea of terminating a pregnancy because of an undesirable (yet "normal") trait, is nothing new

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-selective_abortion#United_States

According to a 2011 Gallup poll, if they were only allowed to have one child, 49% of men and 31% of women would prefer a son. [45]When told about prenatal sex selection techniques such as sperm sorting and in vitro fertilization embryo selection, 40% of Americans surveyed thought that picking embryos by sex was an acceptable manifestation of reproductive rights.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
    abortion is murder
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144
    Yes and it appears only women get away with it.

- A Wisconsin man who caused two miscarriages by slipping abortion pills to his girlfriend has been charged with first-degree homicide.
    According to the Associated Press, Manishkumar Patel, 34, is charged with first-degree m****r of an unborn child and second-degree recklessly endangering safety. He also faces counts involving food tampering, burglary, illegal prescription possession, and other charges.
    The woman suspected he was secretly dosing her with the abortion pill RU-486, and sent a blood sample to a California lab for analysis. She approached police after receiving a positive result. Sheriff�s investigators said Patel confessed to putting the drug in the woman�s food without her knowledge.
  7. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556

Interesting question. I'll be interested in reading the responses. . . especially from the zealot crowd.

I really don't know my answer yet. Have to really think about it. I think abortion should be an option for women, but I think it is one that is too casually made today. I also don't support government funding of it and believe it should be positioned as a grave and serious serious decision, albeit one that is available to women. So, for now, I'm guessing no as I don't see that as a valid reason to have one. But legally, I'm not sure how you can allow or disallow based on motive.
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556
    Sorry, but this is just a little disturbing to me. Seems like we're going down "Gattica" road here and that scares me. What's next, "carousel" when you turn 30?
  10. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    I also agree that abortion seems to be done too casually but I am very hesitant for the govt to restrict a women's right to choose. As far as the reason (homosexuality or anything else) if she has the right to choose, then it's her right and she shouldn't have to clear the reason with anyone else.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,258
    The practice of aborting a baby due to a genetic disposition to be gay could cause swings in thinking on both ends of the political spectrum.
  12. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,073
    Would pro-lifers become supportive of choice if it becomes possible to identify a gay gene in utero?
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    You are basically asking a question regarding the ethics of designer babies, which is a question we haven't really addressed as a society, likely because the science is still somewhat far off.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB123439771603075099
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556
    This is the problem with the politicization of a personal (and subjective) issue like this. What we get from the media & the political machine really represents the two extremes of thought on the issue. Meanwhile (and typically) any attempt at common-sense resolution is lost in political clamor for dollars and political power.

One side wants us to believe it's murder (yet for reasons of political practicality won't go down that road legally) the other that it's no different morally than using a condom or birth control pills. I think the vast majority of us fall somewhere in the middle, but as usual have no representation.

And the beat goes on. And the contributions and lobbying go on. And this issue goes on. And the only ones who profit are the ironically named political non-profits (specifically the higher-ups and lobbyists) who push the issue and continue to position it in a way that offers nothing in the way of resolution.

FWIW, I have a real issue with Planned Parenthood, specifically their methods. They are clearly a political organization, yet use the health-care angle to secure government funding which is then used to promote their political agenda. I see no reason why they should get government funding. If SJK can keep its efforts going on donations (gross revenues exceeding $500K/year), why can't PP? If your cause is good, why do you need the government's help?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    granted, it's not black and white. but in terms of making laws, it has to be. either it's a woman's right to choose or it isn't. unless you want a bureaucrat deciding if your reason is valid or not.
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556

I'm not sure about this. For one, it forces the religious-based opposition to admit that homosexuality is/can be inherent (I personally believe it's both) and, thus, a natural occurrence and not a "choice." That alone will be a difficult bridge for many on that side to cross.
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556
    I think the option should be available, but with restrictions which can only be overcome in exceptional cases.
  18. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    such as?
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556
    I think after 20 weeks it should be a pretty high hurdle to cross. I might even put that number at 12 weeks, to be honest.
  20. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    most states have a time restriction, which I can certainly understand.