1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Question for gun owners/military members

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by HallGator, Jul 19, 2014.

1. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    Yeah a friend of mine has a few suppressed blackout ARs. I've debated buying a Blackout upper, but since I don't shoot suppressed and don't reload it's one that I've decided against for now.

Decided it made more sense for me to buy a x39 upper and work through the magazine issues they sometimes have to get an AR in .30 cal since, without reloading, the ammo is far cheaper and I'm just changing complete uppers rather than the pain that is an AR barrel change so having to have a special bolt for 7.62x39 isn't a huge deal, and the advantages Blackout has in shooting suppressed don't matter for me since I'm not looking to buy a suppressor.

To your earlier point, my ARs are mostly range toys. If I'm in a home defense situation I'm going to be using a full-size pistol (XDM 9 in my case) anyways because of over penetration concerns - unless an army tries to break into my house the advantages of using an AR don't outweigh the over penetration concerns for me. :p
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,464
    as someone who only has fired a 22 when in the boy scouts and has been shot by a pellet gun, I never want to know what it is like to be shot by anything bigger:eek:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,464
    and just a quick hijack, but I think the gun guys would find this cool

No hands just feet

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,861
    Well I certainly agree with a full-size pistol or certain shotguns but remember the OP wanted just wanted the scope of the conversation to be rifles.

Edit***
    Ben I didn't figure you for someone to be palling around with class 3 weapon's guys. :p
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    The mere thought of (what I'm guessing is the inevitable) slide bite on the top of my foot would be enough to stop me from shooting if I didn't have arms. :eek:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    AR. No doubt.
  7. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    I do prefer a pistol, specifically my S&W .357 mag revolver, for home protection.
  8. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    I can be a real enigma. :D

(In all honesty I'd probably have my own were it not for how dang backed up ATF is right now. Would like to get a suppressed 9 at some point, and an SBR seems like a real fun toy, but it's not worth dealing with what I understand to be about an 11 month wait to get a tax stamp application processed at this time.)
  9. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,861
    I see that....LMAO
  10. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,861
    I believe the OP's motivation here is he probably already has a pistol and a shotgun and is looking for a rifle that makes sense to have in the house, but I could be mistaken.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Although I only have pistols at home, I would take a shotgun over anything, honestly, assuming you take the time to learn how to use a shotgun properly.
  12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,439
    Whatever you do, don't get a Mannlicher-Carcano. It's a crap gun useful only for shooting presidents.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,099
    I appreciate the replies. I have a shotgun as I said earlier and have owned them since I was a kid. Did think about buying the Mossberg Home Protector if they are still around or something similar. Have a pistol although, once again, I am entertaining thoughts of buying another one since mine is a revolver.

I asked about the rifle because I am interested in something I can take to the range but would double as a good gun to have in the home. I do worry a bit about over penetration so I am going to have to keep that in mind.
  14. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    I own one of these in .22, so I can shoot a lot of rounds without spending too much money. Has NEVER jammed or misfired and comes with a 30 rd. magazine. Also reasonably priced. Really fun to shoot!

Colt M-4

[​IMG]
    Features
    • designed specifically for lightweight mobility, speed of target acquisition, and potent firepower capability
    • comfortably carried, yet instantly available
    • serves as the United States Armed Forces’ weapon of choice and the weapon of the 21st century warfighter
    • the ONLY 5.56mm carbine in the world today that is manufactured to meet or exceed the stringent performance specifications (MILSPEC) required for acceptance and use by the U.S. Armed Forces
    CALIBER5.56x45 NATO (.223 Rem.)
    WEIGHT6.11 lbs (2.771 kg)
    OVERALL LENGTH (STOCK RETRACTED)29.8 in. (75.69 cm)
    OVERALL LENGTH (STOCK EXTENDED)33 in. (83.82 cm)
    BARREL LENGTH14.5 in. (36.83 cm)
    RATE OF FIRE700-950 RPM
    RIFLING1/7 RH
    EFFECTIVE RANGE600 m
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,861
    We can all shoot the chit about this but obviously it all comes down to your feel for the weapon.
  16. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,691
    Good thoughts, though you can do a 14.5" barreled AR and pin and weld a muzzle device to it bringing it to 16." It would be shorter slightly than a 16" with a birdcage flash hider.

if price is no object, a supressed 300 blackout SBR running subsonic rounds, something like the Knight's Armament Co SR30 or the Spike's Compressor or a suppressed 5.56 AR running lighter weight TAP or some other kind of expanding round to limit penetration. If price is an object I'd go with a standard 14.5" AR pinned and welded to 16" with a flash hider of your choice.

Keep in mind though that firing a rifle indoors and unsuppressed is going to likely make you deaf for the rest of the encounter, at least in the ear closest to the rifle but more likely both.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. usmagator

usmagator Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    I don't have a link at the moment, but I've read before that testing shows that pistol rounds often penetrate walls significantly more than light rifle rounds like 223. Either way you obviously need to know what is beyond your target to mitigate the risk from that, but with HP or SP 223 ammo the risk of it blowing through multiple walls and hurting someone are certainly not more than the risk with handgun rounds. There's some great recommendations here. AR's are great because they are easy to use and customize to your desires (i.e. iron sights, optics, flashlight, laser if you're into that, etc)....they're basically Barbie dolls for men. Also really liked the suggestion of a pistol caliber carbine for something that's really light and easy to shoot, those make great range guns too.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. usmagator

usmagator Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    I have a few future paychecks tabbed for a SBR & suppressed 300BO, it seems like it should be a reloading dream
  19. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,099
    I'm not real concerned about anyone else in the house since all of our children are grown and I would know where my wife is (behind me in most any scenario) but I would hate to shoot through my walls and have the round penetrate a neighbors home. I'm thinking a hollow point would be better for that reason. That's what I shoot in my revolver.
  20. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,125
    I am going to agree with your comments about using a rifle as a self defense gun. Especially in the house. Collateral damage is very real and you could harm or worse someone you care about. The safer approach is a shotgun followed by a handgun that shoots a slower round like a .45 acp.