1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

question concerning QB's at practice

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by lhnewman, Sep 22, 2013.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,471
    Yes, that's crazy! Qb's make all the $ for a reason raz, they are not cutting those checks for jollies.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Here is the way I would put it: having a great quarterback is the easiest way to be good, but it is also the hardest thing to find. Look at the list of college signal callers to win national titles in the last few years (not counting McCarron, since he is still playing): Newton, McElroy, Tebow, Flynn, Leak, Vince Young, Leinart, Mauck, Krenzel, Dorsey, Heupel, Weinke. It is pretty evenly split between elite college quarterbacks and guys who played within the system.

It seems that Muschamp's goal was to develop an offense that is not overly quarterback dependent. Some of that likely was due to reservations about the quarterback position in his arrival, but much I think comes from the fact that you can't expect to find on a regular basis the type of quarterback that can be successful against SEC defenses in a system revolving around his position. Outside of Spurrier, no one has really done it on a consistent basis.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Pretty much how I feel. I would much rather rely on a head coach to get his evaluations right on a bunch of player/positions than just one (QB). I am a big fan of Will Grier but I am not one to say he is going to lead us to the promise land. I feel he is going to be surrounded by great players and thus be able to do enough for us to win a lot of football games.

People have been mad at the QB since Tebow left but was the real problem with the offense is the lack of NFL talent around these guys.
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,471
    Agree, but the qb still has a lot of say in the teams success. Mistakes from the position can kill the team.