Q&A - End of April

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by WESGATORS, Apr 27, 2014.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +808
    Ok, so let's see who actually is paying attention and has an opinion:

(1) What are your expectations: make NCAA tournament (travel), host, or national seed?
    (2) Win the SEC outright, share it with ___________, or minor collapse to just miss out on a title?
    (3) If we're a #1 seed in any regional right now, who are you pitching in Game 1 and hoping to use for Game 2?
    (4) Would you rather face SWAC/Miami in the postseason or a team like Cal-Poly or U-La-La?
    (5) Down one, late (but not B9 or later), runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out. Your gut says: Automatic bunt situation or need more info?
    (6) If we can't be a national seed and be in line to host Supers, I hope we are paired with ___________ ?
    (7) We have 9 SEC games to go, minimum number you think we will win (think Price Is Right style if it were a contest).

Feel free to add your own questions.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  2. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    5) Down one, late (but not B9 or later), runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out. Your gut says: Automatic bunt situation or need more info?

Wait..you mean not everyone bunts every time in this situation, regardless of inning, score or batter???
  3. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    National seed, win SEC outright, Shore and Rhodes, Cal-Poly/ULALA, 95% sure we'd bunt, Washington or Oklahoma State, would expect to win 5 of final 9.
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    Funny how time changes expectations...went from just wanting to make the tourney, to wanting to host, to wanting a national seed. As of today:
    1-National seed, huge advantage to play supers at home....should be primary goal for team
    2-I'm ok with a top 2-3 finish here, whatever holds on to a national seed.
    3-matchups in regional dictate who I throw. May save Shore if team we face is terrible and without a stud arm. It's risky ,but I like to save the ace if you can. Maybe even throw the hot 3rd arm, like a Poyner
    4- Usually prefer someone from out of region, more interesting more than anything
    5-bunt...no question
    6-in a super I would look for a team that rides one pitcher (NC St type), even if he beats you in game one then the UF staff depth kicks in for next 2 games. Not familiar enough with the teams outside the SE to know what their staff looks like
    7-on the road at Bama could be 1-2, Vandy is very good so 1-2 possible as well, should easily get 2-3 from UT....so I say 4. I think we have enough pitching to not be swept, but still a vulnerable team that struggles at the plate quite often.
  5. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    1. Host Regional (Vandy is getting stronger and road series at Bama and Tennessee will not be cake walks so National Seed is still tough).
    2. Wouldn't call it a collapse but think we win the east but finish third behind LSU and Ole Miss overall. (Hope I'm wrong)
    3. Considering how we have fared against #4 seed type teams - would lean towards Shore but I think you go Charlie Wholestaff in Game One and hope we hit UNLESS WE ARE FACING A WEAK TEAM WITH A STRONG #1 THEN I'd throw Rhodes because, as a long time reliever, he would be more capable of throwing again in a final game if necessary.
    4. Personally like to see teams we haven't played or don't play often. Of the choices I would pick Miami especially if we are hosting.
    5. Definitely need more info. Not bunting them over with a .200 hitter coming to the plate.
    6. Cal Poly.
    7. 4
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +808
    (1) What are your expectations: make NCAA tournament (travel), host, or national seed?

Host. Everything points to national seed contention, but given last year, I'd still be happy with a host. We win the series in Tuscaloosa, and I'll probably bump my expectation up a notch.

(2) Win the SEC outright, share it with ___________, or minor collapse to just miss out on a title?

Outright. I think 1 vs. Bama, 2 vs. Vanderbilt, and 2 vs. Tennessee gets it done. Ole Miss would have to finish 7-2 just to tie us (and their schedule does look inviting for that). LSU's schedule finishes too tough for them to catch us. I see Bama with at least 3 losses remaining (1 to us, 2 to LSU). I think we're in great shape for an outright title.

(3) If we're a #1 seed in any regional right now, who are you pitching in Game 1 and hoping to use for Game 2?

Shore for Game 2, everything else depends on who is throwing the best down the stretch and in what roles.

(4) Would you rather face SWAC/Miami in the postseason or a team like Cal-Poly or U-La-La?

I never get bored with SWAC/Miami in the postseason. Very strong chance that the three of us host the first set, but we're a near certainty to be paired up with one of them. Of course, there's always the chance that three national seeds go to the state schools. Miami has a lower rpi (#18), but they are 19-5 and leading the way in the ACC. I'm looking for Miami to finish just strong enough to be paired with us for the Supers.

(5) Down one, late (but not B9 or later), runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out. Your gut says: Automatic bunt situation or need more info?

Depends on the situation. Sully would have bunted with Wilkerson in the 90's in this spot. I also don't like giving Earl a free out if he's struggling mentally out there and cannot find the strike zone.

(6) If we can't be a national seed and be in line to host Supers, I hope we are paired with ___________ ?

Like to see us stay close, either paired with Tallahassee or Coral Gables.

(7) We have 9 SEC games to go, minimum number you think we will win (think Price Is Right style if it were a contest).

I think we get 5, and I think it's enough to win at least a share, but probably an outright conference title. Alabama is 7-2 at home in SEC play, gotta get one there. Vanderbilt is 3-6 on the road in SEC play losing 2 out of 3 in each of their visits; we will be their 2nd consecutive road weekend, we'll get at least 2 there. Tennessee is 4-5 at home in SEC play and 3-7 overall in their last 10. I think one is the bare minimum we get there, but between a 2nd win in Knoxville, a possible sweep of Vanderbilt, or a series win in Tuscaloosa, I think we have a good shot of getting that one more win.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    1. National Seed. Go big or go home! I would still be happy with a host.

2. LSU will win it outright IMO

3. Agree with WES. Shore in Game 2 but can't say for Game 1.

4. Someone new.

5. Hard to say. Need more info.

6. See #4.

7. 4. 1, 1, and 2. I think Vandy gives UF trouble.
  8. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Honestly if you run the numbers the Gators pretty much have to collapse to not get a national seed. We have at least 10 more games against top 50 RPI teams. The SOS is going to be #1 and as long as the team just stays afloat, the RPI will also be top 5.

That's a separate conversation from whether or not you think the team is good enough to get to Omaha. That's certainly up for debate, but at this point it's very likely they will be at home throughout the tournament.
  9. IowaGator

IowaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    I am paying attention!! LOL Life has been busy with 25th anniversary and that horrible thing called work!!!

1. We will host and be a national seed. Not sure if we will be #1 but somewhere in the top 4 I think.
    2. We win the SEC outright. This team is doing very well in the games that matter!
    3. Whoever Sully thinks! I don't follow all the other teams well enough to know their strengths and weaknesses. I trust Sully and staff have or will have good knowledge and devise the best plan.
    4. Would love to end the season of either um or fresh seafood! Although some variety is nice!
    5. Need more info. So many variables!
    6. Not applicable. We are going to be a national seed.
    7. I truly expect every Gator team to win every game--call me whatever you want :p But that is the way I am!! I expect the teams to always do their best and to walk away with the win. That being said--we will all three series that are left. I think at least 2 out of 3 from bama and I think we sweep the last two.